Kids Xmas, Tablet for Kids

Options

Comments

• jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    I could have paid for a new iphone at £36 a month last December. Instead I went for the Samsung Galaxy at £20. A 6 year old wouldn't have seen the difference between the phones, although probably already think through media etc... that an iphone is cooler therefore more desirable.

I've annoyed one of my friends last week, talking about phones. She was on about buying out of her contract because she wanted a new shiny phone, and mentioned a monthly cost that made me wince. 3 of us in this house have android phones for £20 per month. Mine and husband's are £7.50 per month and the teenager's is £10 per month but was £5 per month for the first year, and came with £80 cashback so if effectively less than £5 per month. I'll get some cashback on mine with redemptions if that works out, and have already had £30 topcashback.

The very thought of spending more than £30 a month just for 1 person makes me feel ill :o but most of my friends and family do it, because there are phones that can do everything bar make the tea, and people think they need them. She was moaning that she was skint before that, and when she demanded to know how I can cope with such a low spec phone I answered that I'm skint, so it's cheap and cheerful for me.

I think everyone thinks I'm a bit bonkers though, for not feeling an inner 'need' for these things :rotfl:
    52% tight
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    He's 14 he know exactly what an ipad cost which is why he never in a million years expected to get one
    Sorry got it wrong :) it doesn't shock me for a 14yo especially when they contributed themselves and they are really going to make good use of it. Big difference between a 14yo and 6yo!
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just asked my husband if we should get an ipad for the 7 year old. He laughed and said he'd love to be able to afford one for himself, poor love :)
    52% tight
  • FBaby
    Options
    Personally I think that arbitrarily refusing to buy something of much use because it's top of the range is ridiculous. The chances are they'd get far more use, for far longer out of an iPad than they would from an unsupported and complete and utter failure of a tablet like the Blackberry Playbook. And that's not just my opinion - that's backed up by the facts. Blackberry probably won't be in business for much longer, and then the support offered to those tablets will be less than zero.

By then they will ALL want something different because something cooler than the iPad will be out I won't have spent a ridiculous fortune in the meantime!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I think that arbitrarily refusing to buy something of much use because it's top of the range is ridiculous. The chances are they'd get far more use, for far longer out of an iPad than they would from an unsupported and complete and utter failure of a tablet like the Blackberry Playbook. And that's not just my opinion - that's backed up by the facts. Blackberry probably won't be in business for much longer, and then the support offered to those tablets will be less than zero.
    I agree that when buying something cost should not be the only factor. If you can afford an iPad then it will be much better than one of the cheaper tablets.

My mum usually chooses to buy the cheapest version of something that she can find - and often gloats about the cost - but then goes remarkably quiet when it turns out that the thing is actually rubbish, or breaks, or doesn't meet her needs as well as she thought it would. When I buy something I do plenty of research to make sure that it meets all of my needs and represents true value for money (rather than just being cheap).

As for iPhones costing an arm-and-a-leg, I've got a £7 a month contract for mine :beer:

If a person can afford to get something, and they know that their child would get good use out of it, then what's the problem with buying it for them? You only "spoil" your kids if they get bought things willy-nilly without any thought for the value or usefulness of the item.
  • FBaby
    Options
    Its about expectations though. My galaxy does all I want so whether the Iphone is marginally better or not is irrelevant to me. Saving £16 a month isn't though! My kids use of the tablet will be such that the benefit of an iPad isn't worth paying more than double for it. I think many people are truly more interested in the brand than the actual functionality of the item, just wouldn't admit to it!
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I agree that when buying something cost should not be the only factor. If you can afford an iPad then it will be much better than one of the cheaper tablets.

My mum usually chooses to buy the cheapest version of something that she can find - and often gloats about the cost - but then goes remarkably quiet when it turns out that the thing is actually rubbish, or breaks, or doesn't meet her needs as well as she thought it would. When I buy something I do plenty of research to make sure that it meets all of my needs and represents true value for money (rather than just being cheap).

As for iPhones costing an arm-and-a-leg, I've got a £7 a month contract for mine :beer:

If a person can afford to get something, and they know that their child would get good use out of it, then what's the problem with buying it for them? You only "spoil" your kids if they get bought things willy-nilly without any thought for the value or usefulness of the item.

That's a good price, DSD's desperate to replace her old one. How/ where/ who do I have to sleep with? LOL

I take exactly the same view. From buying a decent solid silver charm bracelet with 1 charm as a starter instead of a cheap loaded one that falls apart as soon as you look at it, to buying an ipad instead of an android because my research made it clear that the SN apps are heavily weighted towards the ipad and that was the primary purpose of buying one. I come in for great criticism - oh Daska only ever buys top of the range, argos isn't good enough for lady D... but then my stuff's still going strong when there's is in the bin.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • caroline78
    Options
    Xmas she wants a pair of slippers that's ears go up and down.

I seen these and so want them for myself...lol
    I have an iPad 2, but most of the stuff on it is actually my 2 year olds. I'm perfectly happy with him playing with it (he knows how to unlock it, how to swipe between screens and choose what he wants). He has had his own iPod touch since he was 1, and apart from making sure he didn't take it with him for bath time I had no issues.

But I wouldn't dream of buying an iPad solely for a 6 year old. Can't it be a family present?

My son is 16 months and there is no way he would have an Ipod...he doesn't even understand what a phone does aside from when you push the buttons the screen lights up...lol...
    ;)I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY;)
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 4 September 2012 at 11:11PM
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    That's a good price, DSD's desperate to replace her old one. How/ where/ who do I have to sleep with? LOL
    First step, buy a PAYG iPhone (cost £499 for the 4S). Then switch it to this tariff:
    http://studio.orange.co.uk/shop/dolphin7/
    Total cost over 24 months = £667.

Or for the stupid, you can go for the iPhone 41 extra tariff over 24 months for a total cost of £984:
    http://studio.orange.co.uk/buy-iphone/

The salespeople might try to persuade you that you can't convert a PAYG phone to a monthly tariff (particularly if you get served by the school boy on his saturday job) but if you persist for long enough it can be done.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    I had no idea that buying something like an ipad for a little kid was so common or people shelled out so much on gifts for their kids. I don't have kids and my friends only have babies/toddlers so I guess it's not something I'm in the loop about! My family and friends have never been the extravagant buy the 15yo a mac book for "college" types anyway. Don't kids play made up games, draw and stuff much anymore? I guess activities change with the times but I've never really thought about it before so I'm quite shocked.

I have been um-ing and ah-ing over buying an ipad for six months. I spend over four hours a day travelling so it would be nice but to me it's still just a very expensive toy that I just can't justify as much as I would like one. If I can go without something or do something else then usually I do :o

Sorry, I'm not a parent so can't really contribute anything other than the pointless musings of a very old feeling 21yo :D
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport