Kids Xmas, Tablet for Kids

Options

Comments

• BECKIN1507
    Options
    What did you decide to buy in the end op? We bought my 9year old android disgo tablet thing for xmas, it really is so slow and useless, needs a good memory card I think, just bought the blackberry playbook its so much better. Faster, good apps to download, easy to use, I'm really impressed for the price also took out 3 year what ever happens cover for £20, so for £150 for something that will last 3years, great bargain. My son loves it, so we're very pleased!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BECKIN1507 wrote: »
    What did you decide to buy in the end op? We bought my 9year old android disgo tablet thing for xmas, it really is so slow and useless, needs a good memory card I think, just bought the blackberry playbook its so much better. Faster, good apps to download, easy to use, I'm really impressed for the price also took out 3 year what ever happens cover for £20, so for £150 for something that will last 3years, great bargain. My son loves it, so we're very pleased!

Well maybe I didn't make such a wrong choice then. glad to read you and your soon are happy with it.
  • Dotty1
    Dotty1 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Interestingly, my daugther asked for money this year for her birthday (14) and what with 4 sets of gradparents/step grandparents, parents, family and friends she had probably enough money for a piece of technology eg, new phone, Ipad etc). I told her this and said maybe she should buy herself something that she keeps harping on about.

She's gone out and spent it (or a lot of it) on clothes and make-up so to be honest I think it very often depends on who is paying for it and I could kick myself for spending so much in the past because I thought she really, really wanted something :D
  • lindseylocket
    Options
    recently got my 11 year old a HTC flyer 7 inch tablet for her birthday
    £160 from a local retailer

she loves it , can do everything she liked to do on my I-pad plus a bit more.

pros - smaller so can be comfortably used like a kindle for reading,
    much louder for music, great camera - pictures and video much better than i pad 2 with lots of weird effects kids loves , pen you can use to write/draw on the screen , you can insert an sd card to easily upgrade the memory from 16 to 32GB

cons - smaller screen ,browsing - a bit clunky compared to i pad ,
    bbc i player - bit fuzzy - I believe you can sort this through settings but haven't managed to figure this out.

all in all has been a great buy
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My 3 kids were on at me for ages to get them an Ipad, and eventually I gave in. The whole family uses it now, and the kids totally respect it too. It came on holiday with us this summer loaded with films, music and games and was a huge hit.

I don't regret buying it.
    Pants
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have to say the Kindle Fire HD looks amazing. We're considering getting one for our son and I'm severely tempted to get one for myself...
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 September 2012 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Got my BlackBerry tablet yesterday and am delighted. It definitely meets all my expectations. It was a nice surprise to get kobo with it have downloaded my first book. The only negative point I can see is that the tablet is a bit heavy but the size is perfect. I think value for money considering it is 64gb is excellent.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 9 September 2012 at 11:30AM
    Options
    The computer tablet market is going through HUGE changes just now. There a large number of new tablets comming on the market before Christmas. These are from Samsung, Amazon and many, many others.
    Apple are NO LONGER alone in this field and the prices are comming rapidly down.
    On a separate note. The iPad and any tablets are FRAGILE. allowing a youngster to play with YOURS while you are around "might" keep it safe but a tablet owned by a young child unless protected by a really hard case will get damaged in no time.
    I can say this with experience.
    I have owned iPods and touches since they came out. I have had an IPhone for over two years and an iPad2 for more than one year.
    If my phone was not protected by a unflattering case it would be broken by now. The iPad is used as a coffee table item and therefore does not move around so much. In fact we have two in the home and probably after I post this I am tempting fate and we will have an accident very soon.
    Remember drop an unprotected iPhone or iPad ONCE on a hard surface and you have a cracked screen, this is almost guaranteed. Ask my 20 year old daughter!
    By the way whatever you do, do not buy now. Christmas is a long, long way away. Waite and watch the market.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • mrsg26
    mrsg26 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter uses my ipad2 and iPhone 4s and is very good with both. She is 5 and her friends have just got an iPod touch for their birthdays. I was considering getting her one for xmas, although Im not so sure about the small screen. I want her to have access to educational apps that will assist with her reading and writing skills as well as drawing and games etc, and she does occasionally watch some of the kids programs on Netflix too. So do you think it is better to get the iPod touch with an otterbox case or get one of the cheaper alternative tablets? I like the idea of a bigger screen however apple products are so easy to use and I already know that she could use a touch straight out of the box. Just looking for opinions really.thanks.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    gingin wrote: »
    If I had a pound for every christmas present thread that ended up with harsh judgement over another person's choice of purchase (or not) for their child, I could....... buy an ipad!

All we need now is someone to say they got a tangerine and a walnut and were grateful for it and we are complete.

A tangerine AND a walnut - thats ridiculous, we had to save the walnut for our birthdays.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure