Kids Xmas, Tablet for Kids

Options

Comments

• jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Ha ha, this thread is making me laugh.... I think all 6 year olds planning to put their Christmas requests on paper should read it and take particular notice to the Genuis bar and note the importance of being able to sync with their Macbook and iphone thanks to time capsule!!!! They should then make a point to their parents that it is right they should spend an extra £200 just so they can benefit from the above!!

I don't understand a word of it :o I've got a degree in IT (ten years ago though) but I panic at the thought of doing anything with my android phone, and flap my arms and look helpless until my husband sorts it out for me :D

Some parents are interested in the technical stuff though, I have a friend who is talking about it for her 5 year old, on facebook, and she's talking about all these issues, and why she hates apple, etc. etc.

As we broke my husband's PSP on holiday I think it's best that my youngest gets a tablet or console or whatever of his own, because my husband spends lots of money on his toys, and gets upset if we break them. He's only 7 though, and hasn't expressed any interest in one yet as long as he can play angry birds on my phone.
    52% tight
  • tomotooze
    Options
    Can anyone comment on this tablet please - I am looking for my 7year old and as I am not very techie so would appreciate any help.
    Many thanks.

7" WM8850 1.2GHz 512MB/4G WIFI Capacitive Android 4.0 HDMI Tablet Laptop-White f
    Found on szprice website
  • lilrahi
    lilrahi Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought this for my 5 yr old son.

http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB024.php

Who knows what it will be like? But with 7 days DSR return and UK 1 year warranty, it will be fine!
    You'll have to speak up; I'm wearing a towel
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tropez, I think I love you.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    *max* wrote: »
    Tropez, I think I love you.

Aw, you'll make me blush! :o
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Now, we like technology in this house and I think it is very important that children are confident with computers.

However, our youngest is 11 and if I had the cash to buy her an iPad, she'd have to get in line behind me and DH (and we'd be fighting for pole position!) :rotfl:

I would stick with traditional toys for a few more years but allow him access to other computers etc in the house.
  • Bamama
    Bamama Posts: 1,035 Forumite
    Options
    Great for those who can afford to give their children gifts like this. You've worked hard to earn it and it's up to you how you spend it. But here's my say...
    1. Personally I'd never spend £400 on a 6 y/o when they have no idea of the value of money.
    2. Presumably this isn't the only present your child will get. Pretty sure a 6 y/o would not be happy with just one present.
    3. At 24 I'd be very greatful if my family banded together to pay for something like that... even if it was the only present I got (hell I'd be happy with a just phonecall!).
    4. £400 is half the amount of money I paid for my car. I'd much rather have half my car...
    5. £400 is a months rent for me.
    6. If my child was teased at school for "Santa" not bringing them the same gadgets their friends had then I would be explaining that Santa doesn't bring the expensive presents, parents have to buy them and Mammy and Daddy can't afford the same as other families. We'd much rather have food and a warm house.
    7. I don't know how my parents managed it but I never asked for anything when I was a child. The most expensive gifts I ever asked for was... a new bike (after my parents suggested that my old one my be getting a little too small) and a double bed (the only gift I got from my father other than smellies).
    8. Well... I just think it's plain daft tbh... Can't say much more than that.
  • alias*alibi
    alias*alibi Posts: 552 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2012 at 1:56PM
    Options
    I'm an apple person. I have an iPhone; soon to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and I have an iPad 3 which I love. BUT I have just bought a Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet 7" for my DD for Xmas and have played around with it to make sure it works and have loaded apps on it she likes and I'm very impressed with the build quality. Android tablets also seem to be able to do so much more than iPads. Silly things like live wallpapers; flash player to play games to their full potential. They seem to have far more 'gizmos' than the iPad. Plus at £200 I think it's a great contender to the iPad. TBH if I'd tried this first I probably would had gone with the 10" version of this rather than the iPad 3 and that is saying something!

I did originally buy the Blackberry Playbook for my DD but due to lack of suitable apps we have decided to give that to the inlaws as they do not have a tablet and won't worry too much about game apps; as long as they can play sudoku and wordsearch they will be happy!
  • amagicwandplease
    Options
    Hi, hope someone can help?!

Does anybody know what the benefits/difference is between a Kurio and a £50-ish Android tablet such as:
    7" inch Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A13 1.0GHz CPU (up to 1.5GHz maximumly)Processor Android 4.0.3 (Latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS) Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi MID Epad Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Facebook (Blue)

Trying to get the right thing for my DS and was about to just order the Kurio but dont see the point in spending £100+ if this will do the same?

Thanks for your help!

Confused! :S
  • amagicwandplease
    Options
    Hi, hope someone can help?!

Does anybody know what the benefits/difference is between a Kurio and a £50-ish Android tablet such as:
    7" inch Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A13 1.0GHz CPU (up to 1.5GHz maximumly)Processor Android 4.0.3 (Latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS) Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB WiFi MID Epad Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Facebook (Blue)

Trying to get the right thing for my DS and was about to just order the Kurio but dont see the point in spending £100+ if this will do the same?

Thanks for your help!

Confused! :S
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family