We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Orange 'Free' Broadband

Options

Comments

• MrMister
    MrMister Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure we are paying that debt off yet. The debt can sit there, you cannot build a new 4g network without cash in the bank.

But this is all getting a little bit off topic really.
  • nobby1963
    nobby1963 Posts: 352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 4 October 2012 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Please note that my following post is incorrect - the 0800 charges do apply.

As my previous posts will testify i am not one to defend Orange but ...

I am not sure that the posts claiming a charge by them for 0800 numbers are correct, as far as I can see they are an `inclusive` call on their landline charges and again as far as I can see there there is not a connection charge for these calls.

This is only as far as I can tell & again just to clarify, it will be a cold day in hell before I move my landline to Orange.

I think there are enough proven reasons against Orange without us getting possibly misled by others - even though that may not be the intention of the post & I am sure that is not the case.
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
  • WillBanyard
    Options
    0800 numbers:

According to Ofcom. Providers can charge a connection fee for calling freephone numbers.

Can anyone find information to refute this?

I am told they are not allowed to charge for the call length, but a connection charge comes as a seperate entity.

This was after the Ofcom rep defended Orange on the basis that he has an Orange landline and doesn't pay for 0800 calls and that these numbers would probably be free under your inclusive call package (which the £14 offer we have been shown, does not include).
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would be making a complaint to Ofcom about Ofcom Will
    [EMAIL="graham.howell@ofcom.org.uk"]graham.howell@ofcom.org.uk[/EMAIL]

Intact you should all be emailing him your gross missatisfaction of how Ofcom is handling it all allow licencee's to break UK law and keep their licence....remind him he deals with complaints against Ofcom in his position.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/about/policies-and-guidelines/complaints-about-ofcom/
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • pj68
    pj68 Posts: 107 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

I have skimmed as much as I can take in of this thread before my head explodes! (after spending 2hours on the phone to orange last night)

I received the disconnection on 12th Nov letter . . . unless you pay us a ransom every month!

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, as I intend to write a letter of complaint to orange (prob wasting my time) . . . but along the lines of ...

have been a customer since 2006 have always had free BB, last upgrade oct 2011 (iphone 4s), all iphone deals/packages were pretty much the same across all networks. Whilst instore discussing my plan i expressly asked the sales woman will i still get my free BB, she replied 'yes you get it for life whilst you have a mobile contract'. This for me clinched the deal.
    Therefore, this statement was an inducement to enter into a contract, which I acted upon when entering into the new mobile contract. This means that the statement made by the saleswoman was a misrepresentation of fact , which makes the contract voidable, allowing me to terminate my contract (at no additional cost) or ask for specific performance (free BB for duration of exising mobile contract would in my opinion be reasonable)

As for Orange claiming that the mobile and BB are seperate contracts, I'm thinking that either

a) they are not as the BB free for life cannot exist without the mobile contract and therefore are linked to each other and not seperate
    or;

b) it doesn't matter whether they are linked the crux of my argument is that the statement made by the sales woman at time of purchase became an implied term of my mobile contract by way of inducement.

Is any of this correct or am i totally confused??

also has anyone reported this to watchdog? if so any response?

TIA
  • Eva49
    Eva49 Posts: 554 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2012 at 1:59PM
    Options
    pj68 wrote: »
    Good afternoon everyone

I have skimmed as much as I can take in of this thread before my head explodes! (after spending 2hours on the phone to orange last night)

I received the disconnection on 12th Nov letter . . . unless you pay us a ransom every month!

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, as I intend to write a letter of complaint to orange (prob wasting my time) . . . but along the lines of ...

have been a customer since 2006 have always had free BB, last upgrade oct 2011 (iphone 4s), all iphone deals/packages were pretty much the same across all networks. Whilst instore discussing my plan i expressly asked the sales woman will i still get my free BB, she replied 'yes you get it for life whilst you have a mobile contract'. This for me clinched the deal.
    Therefore, this statement was an inducement to enter into a contract, which I acted upon when entering into the new mobile contract. This means that the statement made by the saleswoman was a misrepresentation of fact , which makes the contract voidable, allowing me to terminate my contract (at no additional cost) or ask for specific performance (free BB for duration of exising mobile contract would in my opinion be reasonable)

As for Orange claiming that the mobile and BB are seperate contracts, I'm thinking that either

a) they are not as the BB free for life cannot exist without the mobile contract and therefore are linked to each other and not seperate
    or;

b) it doesn't matter whether they are linked the crux of my argument is that the statement made by the sales woman at time of purchase became an implied term of my mobile contract by way of inducement.

Is any of this correct or am i totally confused??

also has anyone reported this to watchdog? if so any response?

TIA

Sounds spot on to me ;)

Your contract doesn’t reflect what the salesperson said

If your written contract does not match the terms you agreed with the sales staff when you bought the service, you may have been mis-sold the contract.
    You should make a formal complaint to your service provider. You can ask that the terms of your contract be changed to match what the sales person said. If they do not resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can report them to the Office of Fair Trading.
    If your service provider has a term in your contract which says they disown statements made by sales staff, that would be un unfair contract term.
    If the statement made by the sales person is false and it influenced your decision to buy the service, this is called misrepresentation. If this is the case, you can cancel your contract without charges and may be able to take legal action for compensation. A false statement which influenced your decision to enter into a contract is also an example of an unfair commercial practice. This is a criminal offence.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...d_internet.htm
  • JessysGiant
    JessysGiant Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2012 at 2:31PM
    Options
    I have finally received the letter.

I too have only recently sign a 12 month renewable contract with BT where I get Unlimited Evening & Weekend calls for free (a deal no longer available). There is a charge of £4.25 for each month left to cancel it.

My main problem is that I live in a rural area and have had a lot of problems with the phone line because of location (mainly because BT don't maintain the lines and ensure they are clear of branches!). I'm not keen to move from BT.

I also get BT caller display and BT Answer 1571 for free. I'm having difficultly finding if these are free with orange or if they are chargeable.

Also, because of the rural location, Orange is the only mobile service we get. Although, I would love to know (Nickbirkin) who offers 600 mins, 5000 texts and 1GB data for £12.90. Perhaps 4G will bring us more choice.

Why do these service providers make it soooo difficult to compare. So, at the moment I am very undecided about what to do.
  • ShugMonkey
    Options
    I am still awaiting confirmation , but having spoken to Orange and they said they still have a lot of customers to inform about this.
    They assured me that their is nothing showing against my account regarding a disconnection date.
    So I assume a lot of people will not be being disconnected until NOV/DEC.

But they immediately offered me up to £100 to buy out my current landline provider, and a free brightbox.
  • pj68
    pj68 Posts: 107 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you Eva49
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have finally received the letter.

Although, I would love to know (Nickbirkin) who offers 600 mins, 5000 texts and 1GB data for £12.90. Perhaps 4G will bring us more choice..

I googled it and it looks like its Three sim only 12 months contract.

However virgin do a sim only 1200 mins unlim texts & 1gb data for £12 on a monthly contract. And they are still on orange network. This is why some people get so excited about a chance of being let out of their orange contract early, they could make a big saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport