We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nokia lumia VS Samsung Galaxy S3? - Please Compare them...

Options

Comments

• buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    23n1th wrote: »
    To be fair fragmentation is mainly a developers nightmare, general customers don't care as long as the apps work.
    Very true, this is why I say most people won't care or even know that current Windows Phones won't get past 7.8. As long the phone works as they expect and they can get the apps they want it won't matter.
    2.3 isn't obsolete due to development still being ongoing for it.
    That's down to more phones being on 2.3 than any other version. No point developing for ICS when it's only on 11% of phones.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The path taken by Android is more one of manufacturers deciding they will go down that path . How they go down that path is up to them and we have Amazons Android based OS ,Huawei about to bring out their own OS .
    Google developing Android mark5 that goes to their own brand phones . Then released to HTC Samsung etc who then build on the core OS .
    Passed to retail and certainly in the UK networks want to brand the product and be in charge of the updates . So fragmentation of Android will continue even more as it continues across all price range phones and tablets .Updates are a bit better this year but the block is twofold one the manufacturer who changes base Android and the biggest culprit the networks who dont really seem to care about customers getting an upgrade .Its the non updating network providers that have driven the alternative stock rom usage . Once you have done that then the next step is rooting your phone as an app you want requires admin privileges . Small step then to experiment and flash one of the many custom rom available .Where custom can mean anything from removal of bloat ware and a few themes to a total different OS .

jje
  • thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options

The problem with android is fragmentation. Thats has always been its problem and probably always will be. Sure the Android Update Alliance was talked about last year but nothings changed.

This is where Windows Phone if done correctly will benefit over a year or two.
    The Microsoft is looking at half way path between Android and iPhone.
    Get others to use the os but at the same time make sure updates are managed on time by them.

The Google leave big part of the os to others to manage. The Samsung and others make money selling hardware not from os updates, to them it's not high on the plan since no money.
  • thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    This is same as Android 2.3 = Windows phone 7.8 and Android 4.1 = windows Phone 8.
    The apps made for android 4.1 are not going to work with ver 2.3. The apps made for 2.3 will work with 4.1

It's the same thing with windows phone
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jane_gs wrote: »
    Can you give some comparison between the Nokia Lumia (latest model)

and the Samsung Galaxi,

in terms of advantages of both?

disadvantages of both?
    usage of them, Apps

Software?

Compare them both please

For me the only difference worth comparing is the end user experience. I find Windows Phone much nicer to use than Android as an overall experience (proper desktop syncing, fast fluid consistent UI). Specs are all but meaningless if it doesn't ultimately translate into a device that is easy and pleasurable to use; mega specs and a frustrating user experience do not make a good device.
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    mrochester wrote: »
    ... Specs are all but meaningless if it doesn't ultimately translate into a device that is easy and pleasurable to use; mega specs and a frustrating user experience do not make a good device.

Couldn't agree more, fortunately the SGS3 has the specs and a pleasurable user experience.;)
  • mrochester
    Options
    Couldn't agree more, fortunately the SGS3 has the specs and a pleasurable user experience.;)

There's no denying that the specs are mega, but the experience is a subjective matter.
  • 23n1th
    Options
    Exactly androids bloody brilliant!
  • mrochester
    Options
    Exactly androids bloody brilliant!

I'd disagree. I'd peg Windows Phone as a better experience overall.
  • 23n1th
    Options
    mrochester wrote: »
    I'd disagree. I'd peg Windows Phone as a better experience overall.

But as you say thats just your opinion and bares no relevance no me, disagree all you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport