Nokia lumia VS Samsung Galaxy S3? - Please Compare them...

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    thegoodman wrote: »
    What you have sent is the code to make apps not the Android OS versions to download. I know everyone can make apps for Android, this is how malware get in.

Read > Comprehend > Post
  • thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 July 2012 at 3:29PM
    Options
    I have and it says
    Why are parts of Android developed in private?
    It typically takes over a year to bring a device to market, but of course device manufacturers want to ship the latest software they can. Developers, meanwhile, don't want to have to constantly track new versions of the platform when writing apps. Both groups experience a tension between shipping products, and not wanting to fall behind.

To address this, some parts of the next version of Android including the core platform APIs are developed in a private branch. These APIs constitute the next version of Android. Our aim is to focus attention on the current stable version of the Android source code, while we create the next version of the platform as driven by flagship Android devices. This allows developers and OEMs to focus on a single version without having to track unfinished future work just to keep up. Other parts of the Android system that aren't related to application compatibility are developed in the open, however. It's our intention to move more of these parts to open development over time.

From what I can understand the core parts are private. You need API etc to run the os which are not available in open source same as ios which is also based on Linux.

With open source you can download and install any version you like for example on PC you can install any version of Linux you don't need to wait for manufacture to write the closeed API for device to work.

The Android like iOS is based on open source but you need copy right API to make it work which close the Android os in this case by Google. Some may find the way around same as when you jailbreak iPhones.

The Linux on desk top PC is open source I agree but not Android os.

Also Android version are control and released by Google with open source this would not be possible. Even the Windows and mac os is based on open source but same as Android both companies have closed the os by having key API in private or copy right them.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    steveproxy wrote: »
    I'm curious about Samsung galaxy S3 , want to replace it with my old android .

Plenty of in depth reviews around for SGS3 .
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii-review-757.php

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review

Price is top end and does not look to come down any time soon due to very high sales volume exceeding supply .

As to the Android Google etc arguments they are not really going to play any part in your daily usage .

jje
  • owen1978
    owen1978 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    thegoodman wrote: »
    I have and it says
    Why are parts of Android developed in private?
    It typically takes over a year to bring a device to market, but of course device manufacturers want to ship the latest software they can. Developers, meanwhile, don't want to have to constantly track new versions of the platform when writing apps. Both groups experience a tension between shipping products, and not wanting to fall behind.

To address this, some parts of the next version of Android including the core platform APIs are developed in a private branch. These APIs constitute the next version of Android. Our aim is to focus attention on the current stable version of the Android source code, while we create the next version of the platform as driven by flagship Android devices. This allows developers and OEMs to focus on a single version without having to track unfinished future work just to keep up. Other parts of the Android system that aren't related to application compatibility are developed in the open, however. It's our intention to move more of these parts to open development over time.

From what I can understand the core parts are private. You need API etc to run the os which are not available in open source same as ios which is also based on Linux.

With open source you can download and install any version you like for example on PC you can install any version of Linux you don't need to wait for manufacture to write the closeed API for device to work.

The Android like iOS is based on open source but you need copy right API to make it work which close the Android os in this case by Google. Some may find the way around same as when you jailbreak iPhones.

The Linux on desk top PC is open source I agree but not Android os.

Also Android version are control and released by Google with open source this would not be possible. The Linux on PC isn't released by one company

I am not going to have a go but you need to do some research
    and have a better understanding of computing concepts.

Some links that might help...

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question435.htm

This group of people actually use the android source code
    to develop their own software for android phones. They are the most well known
    in the android community & well respected for their work.
    http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

One of the best places for phone stuff whether it be ios, android or windows phone is xda forums.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

It seems you have a lot of questions and like to investigate
    they are really helpful
  • thegoodman
    edited 5 July 2012 at 4:28PM
    Options
    I am aware of them for a long time. This is not the point.
    For example the work done by xda for Android is same as iPhone.
    In both cases you will need to jailbreak iPhone or root Android to make changes. If this is the case then iPhone is also open source, is it not?
    The reason Apple also cannot stop the jailbreak is hackers only change the open source part and not the close API protected by Apple.

I agree Apple will not let others to use its API where else Google and Microsoft will.
  • buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    Options
    Fifer wrote: »
    Sorry, I've read the thread and I'm still not seeing a difference.
    It's because Android is open source so people (if they're that way inclined) can get an update even if the manufacturer has abandoned the device (as many Android manufactures seem to have done) because developers can and do release unofficial ROMs of the latest version of Android.

Windows Phone is closed source and the source code is owned and controlled by Microsoft, so now that they have decided that none of the current Windows Phones will get past 7.8, that's it.

Whilst it can be considered a good thing that you can get the latest version of Android if you want it, the vast majority of people aren't going to go down the unofficial ROM route as it's not easy to do, the amount of phones on 2.3 or below proves that. Most people rely on the manufacturers to keep their phone up to date and clearly this isn't happening.
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    buscape wrote: »
    It's because Android is open source so people (if they're that way inclined) can get an update even if the manufacturer has abandoned the device (as many Android manufactures seem to have done) because developers can and do release unofficial ROMs of the latest version of Android.

Windows Phone is closed source and the source code is owned and controlled by Microsoft, so now that they have decided that none of the current Windows Phones will get past 7.8, that's it.

Whilst it can be considered a good thing that you can get the latest version of Android if you want it, the vast majority of people aren't going to go down the unofficial ROM route as it's not easy to do, the amount of phones on 2.3 or below proves that. Most people rely on the manufacturers to keep their phone up to date and clearly this isn't happening.

I don't think Fifer wanted an answer, I know he is capable of working this out for himself.

The difference between what microsoft has done and what is the case with android is simply that microsoft have just orphaned their current OS and their current users/phones.

There is now no incentive to buy one or develop for one, its called the Osborne Effect as I've already stated. The fact win mob 8 was in development before win mob 7 and M$ knew this would be happening just goes to show you what they think of their users!

The problem with android is fragmentation. Thats has always been its problem and probably always will be. Sure the Android Update Alliance was talked about last year but nothings changed.
  • buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    Options
    23n1th wrote: »
    There is now no incentive to buy one or develop for one, its called the Osborne Effect as I've already stated. The fact win mob 8 was in development before win mob 7 and M$ knew this would be happening just goes to show you what they think of their users!
    It's not being completely cut off in the same way as Windows Mobile, as I've said before WP.7.8 apps will work with WP8 so I imagine most developers will stick with developing for 7.8 as this will give them the maximum addressable market of every Windows Phone. When WP8 has more market share than WP 7.8 I would expect the developer support to drop off. At that point, I would consider WP7.8 to be orphaned. How long it will take to reach this point is anyones guess.
    The problem with android is fragmentation. Thats has always been its problem and probably always will be. Sure the Android Update Alliance was talked about last year but nothings changed.
    You would think Google would be pushing that hard before Android starts to get a bad reputation for software updates and the like. Especially given that Androids two main competitors are on the ball when it comes to these things (current Windows Phones excepted)
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    buscape wrote: »
    It's not being completely cut off in the same way as Windows Mobile, as I've said before WP.7.8 apps will work with WP8 so I imagine most developers will stick with developing for 7.8 as this will give them the maximum addressable market of every Windows Phone. When WP8 has more market share than WP 7.8 I would expect the developer support to drop off. At that point, I would consider WP7.8 to be orphaned. How long it will take to reach this point is anyones guess.

Microsoft are completely cutting it off, whether the developers want to develop for it now or in the future is anybody's guess. Time will tell.
    You would think Google would be pushing that hard before Android starts to get a bad reputation for software updates and the like. Especially given that Androids two main competitors are on the ball when it comes to these things (current Windows Phones excepted)

Unfortunately android already has the bad rep for fragmentation. Fragmentation is a by-product of the way its distributed.

To be fair fragmentation is mainly a developers nightmare, general customers don't care as long as the apps work.

In this though google can only nudge they can't demand like apple etc. Once Samsung has the code they make the phone, its up to them to update it. 2.3 isn't obsolete due to development still being ongoing for it.
  • thegoodman
    edited 5 July 2012 at 6:05PM
    Options
    What hackers for Android are doing is changing the open source code to make the os work on other devices since many phones use Android os.

As an example XDA team have been able to install Windows Phone 7 os into HTC HD which use the older os windows mobile. The HTC never released the Windows Phone 7 update for HTC HD. When windows phone 9 is released I am sure team XDA will be able to find the way to install the os into Windows Phone 7 even if update was not released.

With iPhone this would not be possible unless some one makes the hardware for the phone same as iPhone. If this was the case you will be able to install the iOS on that phone too.

All three OS by default are closed due to key parts being protected. The modification to Android by hackes is common due to many type of phones design to run the os. This can change as Windows Phone also become more common.

The same thing will happen to Windows Phone as more companies start to release windows phones and hackers will find the way to run the os on older windows Phones, some may not be supported by their manufactures.

Out of the box os history is like:

Android = Google - available on many type of phones.
    Windows Phone = Still new. Many other companies are planning to release phones soon.
    iOS and blackberry = product based. Cannot be used by others.

It seem the Android and Windows phone are taking the same path.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure