We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Natwest Technical Issues

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,222 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just visited a natwest branch. The queue is longer than usual - about 8 people, but they do have all 3 tills open. The cash machine outside and the paying in machine inside are both working, though the inside machine is tempramental.

Chatting to an extra member of staff, who is manning the queue, she said that some people had all information, some had none and some had some problems.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    Cynical me. Does anyone believe this technical glitch explanation?

I have worked in IT involving banking systems. Unless they had some form of update that went wrong or virus/security issue, it has taken them a long time to resolve.

Whatever the cause, it is going to cost a lot of money to sort out in the form of compensation. Just for this short problem, RBS will have to set up a team of probably hundreds of staff, to look at all the complaints they will be receiving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18547149

According to the BBC site, it was a software update that got corrupted.

The problem is understood to have arisen after staff tried to install a software update on RBS's payment processing system, but ended up corrupting it.
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • johnsons_baby
    Options
    Does anyone know if I can go to a branch to transfer some money to another Natwest account holder as their online payments system is down and would it get to that payee today?
  • misscljones1989
    Options
    Look on the bright side! Natwest will be filling the jobcentre with
    Staff needed - working in the complaints department - up to 100 hours a week! :)
  • scattykat
    scattykat Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if I can go to a branch to transfer some money to another Natwest account holder as their online payments system is down and would it get to that payee today?

I doubt it would get to them today
  • pipkd
    pipkd Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    :mad:We are in a chain and were due to move today. Our buyer's buyer is with Natwest, as are their Solicitors so no money is moved/or showing moved so we had to cancel at 6pm last night. Still no idea when it will happen. Will we be able to claim for interest on our mortgage that was called down but not used? for cancelled movers? for additional Solicitor's charges to deal with it all? for returning the mortgage to our bank (not Natwest) and then claiming it again when its all good to go? making a stressful situation worse!! Any advice great.
  • johnsons_baby
    Options
    scattykat wrote: »
    I doubt it would get to them today

That was my guess as well!
  • misscljones1989
    Options
    That was my guess as well!

No, i have spoke to alot of pople who have done that and its not worked for them! :( sorry.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What's this? Day three?

They've just got around to sending this message to my mobile phone:
    Due to systems issues, any money credited to your account overnight may not appear on your balance this morning. We are working to fix and apologise for the inconvenience.

Fortunately I don't have any money being paid in to my Natwest account until next Friday. :)
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    pipkd wrote: »
    :mad:We are in a chain and were due to move today. Our buyer's buyer is with Natwest, as are their Solicitors so no money is moved/or showing moved so we had to cancel at 6pm last night. Still no idea when it will happen. Will we be able to claim for interest on our mortgage that was called down but not used? for cancelled movers? for additional Solicitor's charges to deal with it all? for returning the mortgage to our bank (not Natwest) and then claiming it again when its all good to go? making a stressful situation worse!! Any advice great.

Eep not good.

Again taken from the BBC news site, no idea if it applies in this case but something to think about (and ask your solicitors about too):

Customers' rights

• Anyone out of pocket owing to a technical or systems failure has certain rights
    • Banks should put customers back into the position they were in had the problem not occurred
    • That does not mean extra compensation is a right
    • Anyone affected should let the bank know about their situation as soon as possible
    • Customers should check to see if any payments due from an account have bounced
    • They should also keep a record of how the problem has affected them - just in case a formal complaint is required later
    Source: Financial Ombudsman Service
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family