Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

224 replies 245.5K views

Replies

• qetu1357 wrote: »
    Have you asked them then?

No, but I'm sure your pass on the good news.
  • edited 18 September 2012 at 1:20PM
    qetu1357qetu1357 Forumite
    1K posts
    edited 18 September 2012 at 1:20PM
    Nope you still need to check that dictionary. No-one's scamming or exploiting the NT. It's exploiting a loophole to gain cheaper enty to NT properties.

We have however elicitied the true reasons for your objections in that you believe it is immoral to do this, however that is very different to deceit and fraud in that what's 'moral' or not very much depends on opinion.

I have checked my 'moral compass' and decided that rather than donating £90 to the National Trust (and as a side line obtain free entry to all NT properties and partner organisations), I believe it is equally moral to donate £40 to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (and as a side line obtain free entry to all NT properties and partner organisations) and use £50 as I see fit (for example donating to another charity of my choice, paying for my child's education in order so that they can train as a doctor etc....)

Like I said, let's see what the NT say - still waiting.

I have also suggested to moral dilemnas here it becomes a moral dilemna of the week.
  • dazzer68 wrote: »
    No, but I'm sure your pass on the good news.

I will.

And if they say you are in the wrong, will you stop doing it?
    Perhaps you'd like to ask the national trust to look at their moral compass too, after selling off 45 acres of Dorset to a property developer?

So does this somehow justify your actions?

It's a bit like Tescos make millions so it's OK if I half inch some of my shopping.

Perhaps they wouldn't have to sell these 45 acres if people paid their proper membership fees!?

They used the money from the sale of the 45 acres to fund maintenance on one of their properties.
  • If I have a written statement from new Zealand heritage trust asking me to stop using my membership , no I will not stop, as my contract with them for the remainder of the year allows me to do so, and they would be in breach of that contract.i will in future years not continue to renew withthem. I have been with them since 2006, It would be their loss not mine, there's only so many national trust properties you can look at! I'm glad your obviously very happy with your membership, and hope you get good value for money from it. Like I said people in glass houses.you can't edit the rules to suit.
    If I have a written statement from new Zealand heritage trust asking me to stop using my membership , no I will not stop, as my contract with them for the remainder of the year allows me to do so, and they would be in breach of that contract.i will in future years not continue to renew withthem. I have been with them since 2006, It would be their loss not mine, there's only so many national trust properties you can look at! I'm glad your obviously very happy with your membership, and hope you get good value for money from it. Like I said people in glass houses.you can't edit the rules to suit.

Don't get the glass houses bit at all..........................
  • qetu1357 wrote: »
    So does this somehow justify your actions?

It's a bit like Tescos make millions so it's OK if I half inch some of my shopping.

Perhaps they wouldn't have to sell these 45 acres if people paid their proper membership fees!?

They used the money from the sale of the 45 acres to fund maintenance on one of their properties.

Hardly the same thing at all, what a ridiculous Analogy. Nobody is stealing anything from anyone? All party's involved have an agreement. Maybe you need to take your concerns up with the national trusts involved, and tell them how immoral and deceptive you believe it is. They are obviously very happy with the arrangement. Sour grapes is it, maybe you've paid over the odds, and could have saved a bit and done the honest thing and paid sky to realign your dish.your morals must have been going through a rough patch on that day.
    I can't be bothered with you anymore. So good luck with your reply, I'm sure when they've all stopped giggling in the nt office they will reply.
  • bryanb wrote: »
    Join the New Zealand National trust online (Very cheap). They accept UK members and our NT gives reciprocal admissions as though you are a member in UK

Phew, someone's got it! Lol
  • beefturnmailbeefturnmail Forumite
    826 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    Like I said, let's see what the NT say - still waiting.

This is an argument about what is and is not morally right. Therefore it matters not a jot what the national trust have to say about it as they are not the judges of morality.

In the same way that if the banks came out and said 'we don't think it's right that people open bank accounts simply to get the cash incentive and have no intention of using the account', this wouldn't have any bearing on whether it's morally right to do so.

And I can't see how you can argue on the one hand that this is morally not ok, but on the other it is ok/morally 'better' to exploit loopholes within banks - one could argue that by exploiting such loopholes within banks, the bank makes a loss and then makes loads of people redundant, and then families end up on the street... how immoral.
  • bryanbbryanb Forumite
    4.9K posts
    dazzer68 wrote: »
    Phew, someone's got it! Lol

Yeah, rapidly deleted though, should have read more than the thread title.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support