Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

UK Hols and Theatre


Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

224 replies 245.1K views
1246723

Replies

  • deeleybopperdeeleybopper Forumite
    57 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    As I've posted elsewhere, last week at a national trust site, my friend and I joined.
    Myself and my two children have joint membership with my friend and her two children. Card each. Car sticker each. Car park fee handed back to us both there and then. Annual membership costs us £77 split in half. Not bad. Quite a few nice sites for kids around here so perfect really as we will often go together. Even separate, only need to pay for hubby.
    No con involved, it was the idea of the national trust staff member, not us!
    2012 - DFW! taking positive steps forward, and it's only [STRIKE]January![/STRIKE] February :T

    Feb nsd: 6/6 :T
    £2 pot challenge: 5/50 :)where are they all?
    VSP member#163 VSP £18.30/wk3
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    dazzer68 wrote: »
    Ps no you dont get a car sticker or magazines etc, to keep the postage costs down sending it from n.z. But old national trust uk books are easy to find.
    What good is a Book? do you mean if you leave it on the dash, you dont get a fine (sorry parking charge before the "pedants" reply.) You cant obviously leave the card in the car.
  • riskybriskyb Forumite
    246 posts
    roddydogs wrote: »
    What good is a Book? do you mean if you leave it on the dash, you dont get a fine (sorry parking charge before the "pedants" reply.) You cant obviously leave the card in the car.
    Hi ya, I m interested in the answer to this too as I would like to get the new zealand membership. You can get an extra card for an extra NZ5 so maybe you can leave the extra card in the car? anyone know if this works?
    RB
  • C'mon guys.

    Isn't it stretching it a bit for a UK citizen to take out NZ Trust membership to get cheap admission to UK properties?
  • No the book is for refence to find the properties belonging to the national trust, so any old nt book will do.
    Qetu1357 isn't it stretching it a bit for the uk national trust charging uk residents more than overseas members can get it for? We are on a money saving site after all....
    They actually gain from me, as I wouldn't join the uk nt, and wouldn't frequent their tearooms and shops. This way I do.
  • dazzer68 wrote: »
    No the book is for refence to find the properties belonging to the national trust, so any old nt book will do.
    Qetu1357 isn't it stretching it a bit for the uk national trust charging uk residents more than overseas members can get it for? We are on a money saving site after all....
    They actually gain from me, as I wouldn't join the uk nt, and wouldn't frequent their tearooms and shops. This way I do.

    Are you serious?

    Yes this is a money saving site, not a site which actively encourages people to at best deceive and at worst defraud.

    And your argument that the NT actually benefits from you paying them no membership fee - but buying the odd cake - is so ridiculous to not even deserve an argument.

    Anyway, I have just emailed UK NT to see what they think about your money saving ruse.

    I will post their reply when I get it.
  • qetu1357 wrote: »
    Are you serious?

    Yes this is a money saving site, not a site which actively encourages people to at best deceive and at worst defraud.

    And your argument that the NT actually benefits from you paying them no membership fee - but buying the odd cake - is so ridiculous to not even deserve an argument.

    Anyway, I have just emailed UK NT to see what they think about your money saving ruse.

    I will post their reply when I get it.

    Just sent this to NT, let's see what they say........

    I thought you might be interested in this on Martin Lewis's moneysaving website.

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=55902587&posted=1#post55902587

    Apparently, some UK citizens are buying memberships to the NZ Historic Places Trust and using that to gain free admittance to UK sites.

    Do you think that is right?
  • edited 17 September 2012 at 10:06PM
    dazzer68dazzer68 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    edited 17 September 2012 at 10:06PM
    It's legal, d'oh, you can buy a uk one and use it in nz too, if your so inclined.its a worldwide partnership. If you read the facts on the new Zealand trust website, you wouldnt be making yourself look like a fool.
    Not deceiving or committing fraud.good grief get a grip, it's national trust membership, not international money laundering. I'd be interested to hear back too....
  • dazzer68 wrote: »
    It's legal, d'oh, you can buy a uk one and use it in nz too, if your so inclined.its a worldwide partnership. If you read the facts on the new Zealand trust website, you wouldnt be making yourself look like a fool.
    Not deceiving or committing fraud.good grief get a grip, it's national trust membership, not international money laundering. I'd be interested to hear back too....

    Let's see what the National Trust say.

    If they say you are wrong, will you stop using your NZ card in the UK?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    Just sent this to NT, let's see what they say........

    I thought you might be interested in this on Martin Lewis's moneysaving website.

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=55902587&posted=1#post55902587

    Apparently, some UK citizens are buying memberships to the NZ Historic Places Trust and using that to gain free admittance to UK sites.

    Do you think that is right?
    I told them ages ago, they replied "Yes we know it goes on", but no indication of stopping it.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support