Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

224 replies 244.9K views

Replies

• NTS was available on Tesco Clubcard deals last time I looked. It was £20 for joint annual membership.

Sadly, I forgot to cancel my current membership and they have just stung me £80.
  • moneylovermoneylover Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    zenmaster wrote: »
    NTS was available on Tesco Clubcard deals last time I looked. It was £20 for joint annual membership.

Sadly, I forgot to cancel my current membership and they have just stung me £80.

can only see NT Scotland
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always cancel the DD once the yearly payment has been taken (you must still tell them) no need to do this till the year is nearly up. Wait a week or so then re apply, otherwise youll pay full price.
  • moneylover wrote: »
    can only see NT Scotland
    NTS is National Trust for Scotland.

It's valid in England too.
  • paul2louisepaul2louise Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Always cancel the DD once the yearly payment has been taken (you must still tell them) no need to do this till the year is nearly up. Wait a week or so then re apply, otherwise youll pay full price.

I have just had the renewal letter. It says it will be 88.50 for the 2 of us. It expires 31st August so I was thinking of cancelling it then wait till next spring and get a new annual pass. Do they do deals at the end of summer to get members or should I wait till spring when worth renewing.

Thanks
  • edited 1 July 2012 at 10:54PM
    moneylovermoneylover Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2012 at 10:54PM
    if NTS is valid in England too then its probably the best deal if you have Tesco points I should think - presumably not Wales just Scotland and England?

In the end, I went for single membership as mostly in NI we wanted car parking which would have added up to about £15. It has worked out very well as we also went to just one house/garden (Mountstewart) and until end of first week July you can take a non member for free so didnt pay for husband.

Am sure will use more than the value of my single membership and perhaps next year we will do single in husbands name.

There are special offers and am sure they are sometimes better than others. I got free binoculars, I havent looked at them yet but, if nothing else, they will be enjoyed by the grandchildren.

If you are going to pay to join rather than using Tesco points leave it till the last minute to max out your year - you get a temporary membership number by email within seconds of applying. And don't forget Quidco.

This thread has been brilliant, thank you, when I posted I thought I would be lucky if I got one reply! I should have known better from MSE'ers!
  • edited 2 July 2012 at 7:38AM
    paul2louisepaul2louise Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2012 at 7:38AM
    moneylover wrote: »
    If you are going to pay to join rather than using Tesco points leave it till the last minute to max out your year - you get a temporary membership number by email within seconds of applying. And don't forget Quidco.

that's probably what I will do. We have the membership till end of August which gives us 2 months yet of wonderful summer to enjoy!!!.
    Then wait till spring next year and get a new pass. Tesco are only doing NT individual trips not annual passes for Scotland so wouldnt be any use.

Does quidco do cashback on nat trust for scotland
    Thanks
  • Hi i joined last month via Quidco, £21 cashback.
  • paul2louisepaul2louise Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi i joined last month via Quidco, £21 cashback.

I got £18 via quidco last year so will hang on at least till after it has expired. No benefit from being an existing customer.
  • Bev_BBev_B Forumite
    275 posts
    I joined via quidco in may when the 12 months for the price of 9 (when signing up to direct debit) was on and got over £20 back, I got the family membership which was about £70 so works out £50 for the year and we'll definately get our moneys worth.

Seems a regular offer so may be worth holding out until they offer it again.