Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

224 replies 245.1K views

Replies

• edited 18 September 2012 at 8:37AM
    roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2012 at 8:37AM
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    Let's see what the National Trust say.

If they say you are wrong, will you stop using your NZ card in the UK?
    How can it be wrong if they accept it on entry?.
    And the "Car Parking" hasnt really been answered, does leaving an old NT book on the dash stop the "Parking Charge"?
  • qetu1357 wrote: »

If you actually done a little research before hand on both the uk and nz trust websites, and any other trust site around the world, It's a reciprocal agreement.
    Organisations in other countries

The National Trust for England, Wales and Northern Ireland has reciprocal visiting arrangements with heritage organisations in other countries. Members of these organisations are usually admitted free to National Trust properties on production of a current membership card.

There are 14 countries with similar organisations with whom the National Trust has reciprocal visiting arrangements for its members.

Scotland
    Australia
    Bermuda
    The Bahamas
    Barbados
    Canada
    Cayman Islands
    Guernsey
    Isle of Man
    Jersey
    Malta
    New Zealand
    Italy
    Zimbabwe
    ! Same on the nz site.
    Any reply yet?
    If it was illegal, don't you think the staff would stop us using it?
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    How can it be wrong if they accept it on entry?.
    And the "Car Parking" hasnt really been answered, does leaving an old NT book on the dash stop the "Parking Charge"?

The nt carparks we have parked have an attendant, to whom we show our card. Haven't visited a non attended carpark yet, maybe just leave the member card on dashboard?
  • Apparently the Zimbabwe nation trust offers an even better deal !

No I'll go dressed as a maori warrior.
  • roddydogs wrote: »
    I told them ages ago, they replied "Yes we know it goes on", but no indication of stopping it.

Interesting.

Let's see what they say this time.
  • dazzer68 wrote: »
    If you actually done a little research before hand on both the uk and nz trust websites, and any other trust site around the world, It's a reciprocal agreement.
    Organisations in other countries

The National Trust for England, Wales and Northern Ireland has reciprocal visiting arrangements with heritage organisations in other countries. Members of these organisations are usually admitted free to National Trust properties on production of a current membership card.

There are 14 countries with similar organisations with whom the National Trust has reciprocal visiting arrangements for its members.

Scotland
    Australia
    Bermuda
    The Bahamas
    Barbados
    Canada
    Cayman Islands
    Guernsey
    Isle of Man
    Jersey
    Malta
    New Zealand
    Italy
    Zimbabwe
    ! Same on the nz site.
    Any reply yet?
    If it was illegal, don't you think the staff would stop us using it?

I actually had done "a little research" thank you and was aware of this.

I'm not arguing that it is illegal, just deceitful.
  • Oh good grief. Not sure which bit you don't get? Where does it say it's deceitful?and what's deceitful about it? I'm confused.
    I live in England, the nz trust knows that, they sent me the card and I've even emailed them directly. I've used the card in England, and have shown and chatted to the attendants at an English property,( who we have told we are English) not once has there been any doubt, confusion, or dishonesty. If you don't want to join, don't do it. Know ones forcing you, and if you think the national trust are going to give you brownie points, think again.
    I am not at least surprised.

Even if the NT say what you are doing is wrong, you will continue to do it.

When I get that reply.....
    I actually had done "a little research" thank you and was aware of this.

I'm not arguing that it is illegal, just deceitful.

What would be deceitful , if it said ,you must live in one of those countries to apply for the membership, and pretend you were and applied for it. It does not, and I am not.