Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

224 replies 244.9K views

Replies

• dazzer68 wrote: »
    Oh good grief. Not sure which bit you don't get? Where does it say it's deceitful?and what's deceitful about it? I'm confused.
    I live in England, the nz trust knows that, they sent me the card and I've even emailed them directly. I've used the card in England, and have shown and chatted to the attendants at an English property,( who we have told we are English) not once has there been any doubt, confusion, or dishonesty. If you don't want to join, don't do it. Know ones forcing you, and if you think the national trust are going to give you brownie points, think again.

It doesn't say anywhere it is deceitful.

It is I who thinks it is deceitful, you evidently do not.

Let's wait to see what the NT say.

I suggest they will say one of the following:-
    1. We have no problem in people doing that
    2. We are aware people are doing that but aren't going to do anything about it
    3. It is wrong
    When I get that reply.....

Have you asked them then?
  • edited 18 September 2012 at 10:41AM
    beefturnmailbeefturnmail Forumite
    825 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2012 at 10:41AM
    I agree with dazzer. Can't see anything deceitful about it. Could equally argue that's it's 'deceitful' of the NT to offer a discount for new customers rather than dropping overall prices for all and for tricking you into paying the higher 'gift aid' price when paying on entry (you usaully have to specifically say that you want to pay the lower price).

Having looked on the NZ Trust website, membership also appears to give entry to English Heritage properties, making it a very good deal indeed.
    What would be deceitful , if it said ,you must live in one of those countries to apply for the membership, and pretend you were and applied for it. It does not, and I am not.

Of course you have convinced yourself it is not deceitful as indeed does anyone who does something they shouldn't.

The implied purposed of the reciprocal scheme, is for UK based members to visit NZ properties when there and the other way around.

Any contaryargument is just hogwash.
  • I agree with dazzer. Can't see anything deceitful about it. Could equally argue that's it's 'deceitful' of the NT to offer a discount for new customers rather than dropping overall prices for all and for tricking you into paying the higher 'gift aid' price when paying on entry (you usaully have to specifically say that you want to pay the lower price).

Having looked on the NZ Trust website, membership also appears to give entry to English Heritage properties, making it a very good deal indeed.

Like I said lets see what the NT say.

I suspect the number of people doing such a scam may be small and not worth their while clamping down on.

But any way you try and slice and dice it and justify it, this scam stinks.
  • beefturnmailbeefturnmail Forumite
    825 posts
    ✭✭✭
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    Like I said lets see what the NT say.

I suspect the number of people doing such a scam may be small and not worth their while clamping down on.

But any way you try and slice and dice it and justify it, this scam stinks.

I think you need to look up the words 'scam' and 'deceit'. There is nothing fraudalent about this - it's simply a money saving loophole like many other things highlighted on this site.

How is this any different to, for example, opening a bank account to get £100 with no intention of actually using the account? Is this also a 'deceitful scam'? Or is it different as it's those 'nasty' banks, rather than the 'good' National Trust?
  • I think you need to look up the words 'scam' and 'deceit'. There is nothing fraudalent about this - it's simply a money saving loophole like many other things highlighted on this site.

How is this any different to, for example, opening a bank account to get £100 with no intention of actually using the account? Is this also a 'deceitful scam'? Or is it different as it's those 'nasty' banks, rather than the 'good' National Trust?

I think you want to have a good look at your moral compass.

It is a loophole that I would argue that neither the NT or the other organisations intended to be exploited.

Just because there is a loophole it doesn't mean it needs to be exploited. That is where our morality and morals come in.

And I agree with you that scamming/exploiting a charity, which the NT is, is worse than scamming/exploiting a bank.
  • edited 18 September 2012 at 12:52PM
    beefturnmailbeefturnmail Forumite
    825 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 18 September 2012 at 12:52PM
    Nope you still need to check that dictionary. No-one's scamming or exploiting the NT. It's exploiting a loophole to gain cheaper entry to NT properties.

We have however elicitied the true reasons for your objections in that you believe it is immoral to do this, however that is very different to deceit and fraud in that what's 'moral' or not very much depends on opinion.

I have checked my 'moral compass' and decided that rather than donating £90 to the National Trust (and as a side line obtain free entry to all NT properties and partner organisations), I believe it is equally moral to donate £40 to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (and as a side line obtain free entry to all NT properties and partner organisations) and use £50 as I see fit (for example donating to another charity of my choice, paying for my child's education in order so that they can train as a doctor etc....)
  • The nationl trust hide under the term charity. They are infact on of the Uk's biggest land owners.you only have to google them, and they are a pretty unruthless lot themselves. Selling of land left to them in wills, closing down farms to be sold as housing developments, don't think f them as keepers of our heritage, they are a business, just like the banks, energy firms and phone company's.'charity' is a tax relief word.
  • Perhaps you'd like to ask the national trust to look at their moral compass too, after selling off 45 acres of Dorset to a property developer?