🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Trial beauty kit costs £57.95

Options

Comments

• Tua
    Tua Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    krisdorey wrote: »
    No offense, but good luck in that, what will you do when they ignore you or just outright refuse?

Put it down to ad luck, ring your bank and ensure there isn't a CPA setup to take further charges (if so then cancel it).

Good heavens ... so you're the sort of consumer who tolerates 'bad practice' without putting up a fight eh, krisdorey? ;)
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Throwing around accusations of breaking the law is not going to get them on your side.

Many laws in Europe are not automatically applicable in the UK so just be mindful when making such sweeping accusations. We often have new posters suggesting this and that about "hidden" EU laws which are complete tosh.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Tua
    edited 24 September 2012 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Throwing around accusations of breaking the law is not going to get them on your side.

Many laws in Europe are not automatically applicable in the UK so just be mindful when making such sweeping accusations. We often have new posters suggesting this and that about "hidden" EU laws which are complete tosh.

Get them on my side? I really don't think there's ever been any likelihood of that! They treat customers with absolute distain from the very outset!

OK, well actually I've been running a successful an e-commerce business for some years now ... so I'm familiar with one or two regs. pertaining to online retailers
    Here's a development though:
    I've been in touch with The C.A.B re: Consumer Rights (they work in liaison with Trading Standards Depts now). The firm D.S Marketing Ltd (t/a Deadseakit.com*LONDON) have breached UK Laws in several of their 'terms & conditions' ... also 'Health & Safety' regs (no ingredient list or expiry date on their tubs of 'goo').
  • sandyjones23
    Options
    Tua wrote: »
    Get them on my side? I really don't think there's ever been any likelihood of that! They treat customers with absolute distain from the very outset!

OK, well actually I've been running a successful an e-commerce business for some years now ... so I'm familiar with one or two regs. pertaining to online retailers
    Here's a development though:
    I've been in touch with The C.A.B re: Consumer Rights (they work in liaison with Trading Standards Depts now). The firm D.S Marketing Ltd (t/a Deadseakit.com*LONDON) have breached UK Laws in several of their 'terms & conditions' ... also 'Health & Safety' regs (no ingredient list or expiry date on their tubs of 'goo').

But is there anyway we can all stand together and get our money back????:mad:
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But is there anyway we can all stand together and get our money back????:mad:
    No, I don't think there is... other than all learn from each other's progress.

What have you done so far to a) stop more money leaving your bank account, and b) trying to recover what has already gone?
  • SMDS
    Options
    Actually, I've delved a bit deeper ...

Cosmetic, toiletry and perfumery products (cosmetics) are subject to European laws that ensure that they are safe. These laws also require certain information to be printed or labelled on packaging. This includes an ingredient list, the contents, any warnings that might be necessary on how to use the product safely, and a "period after opening" or a "Best Before Date" to show how long the product may be kept.

But there is no such labelling on the Beauty Kit that I was sent ...

Their packaging has the ingredient listed. In the event it is not practical for the ingredients to be listed on the container itself, listing on the packaging is accepted.

However, they state ingredients twice on the eye gel, such as Propylene Glycol (undiluted Propylene Glycol cause may cause irritation to the eye and can produce slight transient conjunctivitis). One of the ingredient, Chlorphensin” where there is a maximum allowed percentage 0.3% as per EU regulations. From their labelling, it is unclear what % is used in dead sea beauty kit products.

REGULATION (EC) No 1223/2009, on Cosmetic products, article 10 referring to Safety Assessment, s1 states that “In order to demonstrate that a cosmetic product complies with Article 3, the responsible person shall, prior to placing a cosmetic product on the market, ensure that the product has undergone safety assessment on the basis of the relevant information and that a cosmetic safety report is set up in accordance with Annex 1”
    In addition to the labelled information, consumer should be given the possibility to request certain product related information from the responsible person in order to make informed product choices.

Let's face it, a company of this kind who practically steal money from consumers are unlikely to care about any licensing of their products or cosmetics safety regulations.

You can request the information from DS Marketing (acting as U.K. agents for this product), or report them to the appropriate authorities if they fail to supply the information.

Has any of you received a customs declaration form attached to the delivery?

Or a VAT invoice/receipt showing the breakdown of the charges?

The initial cost of "free" product is £3.95. If they charge £59.95 for it, and claim the item is sent from Israel, they they must produce documents to show the net price and shipping costs, Import VAT and any applicable customs duty paid. If they haven't done that, that means they not only scam customers with their dodgy contractual terms (a matter for the trading standards to investigate), they are also evading VAT and customs duty and defrauding HM Revenue & Customs.

Setting HMRC on them is much more fun. They have much more powers (and avenues) to dig deeper into company information and find out about personnel involved in this cowboy outfit.
  • Tua
    edited 1 October 2012 at 4:08PM
    Options
    Thanks very much indeed SMDS ... interesting info. and I really appreciate your help and advice.

I'll get on to HMRC a.s.a.p.

Other things I've done ...

1. Asked my local Trading Standards Office about a possible breach of the DSRs ... (ie: product purchased from a UK registetred firm, but has to be returned to a P.O Box in Israel). The only response I received was a bizarre email from a Trading Standards Officer who had merely cut & pasted several comments (re: DSRs) from a consumer review website (maybe even this one!) in the hope that I could "glean something from them". (ie: no official perspective on the matter).

Asked my local Trading Standards Office about the ingredient list/expiry date/precautions for use/batch number/ etc; issue. (Actually There was none of this information on the packaging or the containers that I received). I got no reply at all from Trading Standards to that Q.

2. Reported the on-screen advert to the Advertising Standards Authority. There are several aspects of the advert that I (an average consumer) find misleading. Still awaiting a reply (early days yet).

3. Alerted Peta (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) to the fact that their logo is being used on this firm's website.

Oh, and prior to all that I complained to my credit card company ... they carried out an investigation and refunded my £59.95. (And then ... very strange ... D.S Marketing Ltd refunded £25 to my account too!)

So as a result of this debacle I've gained £25 and three pots of grease: which I won't be using ... having read about the chemical constituents that are contained therein!:eek:
  • SMDS
    SMDS Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks very much indeed SMDS ... interesting info. and I really appreciate your help and advice.

I'll get on to HMRC a.s.a.p.

:

Allow me to do that. If you get on to their general information line, you will be sent in all sort of directions that will drive you crazy.

I just happened to be going their way in the coming weeks (a social call), it will give me pleasure to find out the right person to approach and follow it through. Pushing the ight person/people might get a bit quicker results.

Digging a bit deeper into the company and people who may be involved in this scam, I found some interesting information I am sure they'd like to know.

Local government trading standard officers used to work together with HMRC Officers on certain issues, I will find out if that still the case, and try to get a direct link to the trading standard office relevant to the area these cowboys are based.

Some of their "Terms & Conditions" are hilarious. They seem to think that just because they got people to tick a box, they can get away with anything.

I am a mature student who has plenty on time in hand right now.:)
  • Tua
    Options
    Thanks SMDS!:T

I've sent you a private message ...
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Hidden away right at the bottom in VERY small print Thanks

Hardly hidden! The onus is on the buyer to read the 'Small Print' as this is where your problem lies when you think you are getting something for npothing or a small fee. It states quite clearly that there is a furthetr cost if you keep the item and also it is an ongoing product order

Risk-free trial offer: By buying this Special Trial Beauty Kit, you agree to enroll in our Autorefill Program. You will be charged applicable shipping and handling fees upon placing the order and will then have 14 days to try our products and return them if you are not completely satisfied. If you choose to keep the kit, you will be charged the full cost of £59.95. We will then automatically send you a replenishment of the products you have ordered according to our common replenishment guidelines (normally, every 30 calendar days). Your card will be charged by Deadseaset.com 8009265140 accordingly upon dispatch of the replenishment package. Autorefill can be cancelled at any time by simply logging into your account.

Not sure how much clearer that can be and also better make sure she cancels future replenishments or you will have another £59.95 to pay soon!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport