Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,094 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    10_66 wrote: »
    Their website says they're open Mon - Sat, 8am - 8pm, 0845 602 2828. Have just checked on that number and they said that the cheque can be from someone elses account, but I must admit I thought it would have had to come from your own account.

Thanks for that. I was dialling 0845 603 2263, a number I got from the letter they sent me.:(
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure you have been given the correct information.
    Part of money laundering checks is that payments come out of the applicants account.
    Maybe they are being sensible and saying your and your spouse's money is the same thing but be prepared for a rejection.
  • silvercar
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    Not sure you have been given the correct information.
    Part of money laundering checks is that payments come out of the applicants account.
    Maybe they are being sensible and saying your and your spouse's money is the same thing but be prepared for a rejection.

I phoned them to check on something else and asked the same question. They said as long as the cheque is made out to the ISA holder its fine. As an existing account holder, I've already been ID'd.

The calls are recorded, so even if I was given the wrong info they will have to honour it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Quick question, if I'm applying by post for a cash ISA, I need to send a cheque made out to myself, is it OK if it is drawn on my spouse's bank account?

(I did ring Birmingham Midshires to ask them, but their office shut at 1pm today, not open til monday.)

I would have thought it is a bit late to use a cheque if it is for this years ISA !!
  • SCARFACEK
    SCARFACEK Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    boobbby wrote: »
    I would have thought it is a bit late to use a cheque if it is for this years ISA !!

Its for next year's
  • silvercar
    edited 3 April 2011 at 2:51PM
    Options
    boobbby wrote: »
    SCARFACEK wrote: »
    Its for next year's

It is for this years!

They said as long as they receive the cheque and the application by the 5th its fine.

From their website:
    "Please ensure cheques are received by 5 April at the latest to be credited to the current tax year."
  • SCARFACEK
    edited 3 April 2011 at 3:50PM
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    It is for this years!

They said as long as they receive the cheque and the application by the 5th its fine.

From their website:
    "Please ensure cheques are received by 5 April at the latest to be credited to the current tax year."

Maybe your applying for something else from what I thought you were. All the ISA's displayed on the Birmingham Midshire website that I see say ' This issue is for deposits in the new tax year commencing 6 April 2011. This issue is for deposits in the new tax year commencing 6 April 2011. '
  • stepea
    stepea Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Do we have to wait for the 5th or have the banks/building societies already advertised 2011/12 ISA rates.
  • SCARFACEK
    edited 3 April 2011 at 3:50PM
    Options
    stepea wrote: »
    Do we have to wait for the 5th or have the banks/building societies already advertised 2011/12 ISA rates.

Some places like Birmingham Midshires are already advertising 2011/2012 rates on their website. You can even apply now but they won't credit any cheque deposits for the new tax year until 6 April. That's only a couple of days away though so by the time you get your application in its not going to make much if any difference
  • silvercar
    Options
    SCARFACEK wrote: »
    Maybe your applying for something else from what I thought you were. All the ISA's displayed on the Birmingham Midshire website that I see say ' This issue is for deposits in the new tax year commencing 6 April 2011. This issue is for deposits in the new tax year commencing 6 April 2011. '

For new accounts you can only apply for 2011-12. You can still add money to existing ISAs for the tax year 2010-11. I am trying to add 2010-11 money to an ISA that was opened in a previous year. According to the helpline I can do this provided they receive the application and cheque by midnight 5th April.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback