Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The first page shows the Barnsley BS 1 year fixed at 3.2%. This no longer appears on their website, only the 2 year fixed at 3.5%, guess it has been oversubscribed.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Barclays' Golden ISA (issue 3) paying 3.25% AER has been added to the list. The minimum opening balance is £1 and it does not accept transfers in.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • blutto
    blutto Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    isa plus Natwest ! I got 4.05 %! Now 3% last checked as long as the balance stays good and was only opened to new customers and the 4.05% was for 2009 and was best i could find then? No penalties either like alot of these fixed new ones in 2011!
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is some info on the most recent updates to the first post of this thread:

Santander have increased the rates paid on their most popular ISAs. Their Loyalty ISA rate increases to 3.50%, the Flexible ISA rate will be 3.30% and their 2 year postal fixed ISA rate will be 3.70%. All with effect from 11/03/2011.

The AA Instant Access ISA rate has been increased from 2.70% to 3.35%. It doesn't accept transfers in.

Nationwide have launched a new range of fixed rate ISAs. They pay 3.20%, 3.55%, 4.10% and 4.40% on the following terms, one year, eighteen months, three and four years.

Cheshire, Derbyshire and Dunfermline Building Society's have all launched four year fixed rate ISAs paying 4.40%.

Newcastle Building Society have launched a five year fixed rate ISA paying 4.50%. Halifax's four year fixed rate ISA rate has increased to 4.30%.

West Bromwich Building Society have launched a WebSave ISA paying 2.88% on balances of £1,000+. It accepts transfers in.

Manchester Building Society have launched a new Premier ISA paying 2.86%. A notice period of 45 days is required if making a withdrawal or closing the account.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it just me, or is anyone else these staring at these figures and concluding it is no longer worth it?

I have lent money to these institutions (and never forget that is what we are doing - lending them money) since ISAs began. Nothing they are offering now, looks in the least tempting.

Have I missed something (save the hope that having money locked away from Mr Moneybags the taxman may come in useful in the distant future when interest rates finally rise)?
  • Lokolo_2
    Lokolo_2 Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is anyone else these staring at these figures and concluding it is no longer worth it?

I have lent money to these institutions (and never forget that is what we are doing - lending them money) since ISAs began. Nothing they are offering now, looks in the least tempting.

Have I missed something (save the hope that having money locked away from Mr Moneybags the taxman may come in useful in the distant future when interest rates finally rise)?

Yes exactly, I think everyone is as frustrated as you with the current interest rates, back in 2008 we used to have accounts paying nearly 8% interest as the norm!

Unfortunately with the BOE base rate so low, Banks have dropped rates, it is mainly those with mortgages who are gaining as rates are very low at the moment, but have faith, maybe we will see a rise soon!

I would say it's definitely worth to keep putting money into ISA's, as much as possible to hide it away from the taxman :beer:
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Skipton is closing the 5 year / 5% account at the end of Monday according to my local branch. Don't know about the rest of their current range.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a look at the Nationwide 1 year fixed rate ISA on Nationwide's website, and it says:

Please note, this products is exclusively available for existing customers with a maturing Fixed Rate ISA. Please take a look at our how to apply page for more details.

Damn! I keep deciding on ISAs then they keep changing or disappearing!
  • ultrawomble
    ultrawomble Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

The fixed rate options seem to be pretty pointless at the moment. With the likelihood of BoE base rate rises in the near future, some form of instant access ISA looks like the best way to go for the near future.
  • jimbow25
    jimbow25 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Something to note on the top paying ISAs at the moment which page 1 doesn't say - all of the Santander Flexible ISA, the Santander Loyalty ISA and the Barclays Golden ISA track movements in the base rate for 12 months (Santander) / until 1st March 2012 (Barclays).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback