Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 phone users - Discussion

in Phones & TV
840 replies 79.2K views

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I don't seem to have put it very clearly.

The number is not being blocked and I can dial it.

I can use the 18185 service and it seems to work, the only issue I have is with using the Orchid dialler to route calls through 08081703703. It will dial the number but for some reason 18185 then seems to get wrong information about the number I am actually trying to call.

When I said dialling the number manually I meant that I was entering the number I wanted to call on the phone keypad but this was still being routed to 18185 by the dialler.
    OTOH, it is known that VM have started blocking some gateway providers' numbers (they've told some customers as much - see HERE).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    OTOH, it is known that VM have started blocking some gateway providers' numbers (they've told some customers as much - see HERE).

May well be that VM are blocking some numbers but that doesn't seem to be the case with 08081703703. Perhaps they will put a block on it in the future but at present I can get through using this freephone number, only have a problem when the Orchid dialler calls it automatically.

Is anyone else able to use this satisfactorily?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May well be that VM are blocking some numbers but that doesn't seem to be the case with 08081703703. Perhaps they will put a block on it in the future but at present I can get through using this freephone number, only have a problem when the Orchid dialler calls it automatically.

Is anyone else able to use this satisfactorily?
    I see Orchid's drop down list has four possible versions that number:

080817093703###
    080817093703#### and
    080817093703#####

It's unlikely the first of those (the one without any pause) will work so which of the others are you using?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    I see Orchid's drop down list has four possible versions that number:

080817093703###
    080817093703#### and
    080817093703#####

It's unlikely the first of those (the one without any pause) will work so which of the others are you using?

Tried the first one with no pause and as you guess that didn't work so then went straight to maximum pauses which was no different. I assume that having a longer pause would not cause any problems other than having to wait a few more seconds.

After makiing changes I have forced the dialler to call home.
  • We meant they block 18185 and the like.

I just dialed it here using a BT line and it got diverted and asked me to dial the number followed by # with no routing set up for that specific number

I can't see those numbers in my client, I must need new glasses.

080817093703###
    080817093703#### and
    080817093703#####
  • April2April2 Forumite
    508 Posts
    BritBrat wrote: »
    I can't see those numbers in my client, I must need new glasses.

08081703703###
    08081703703#### and
    08081703703#####
    Borrow mine.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • Problem solved now, I think.
    Just forced the dialler to call home again and having tried once more it worked fine and routed a call to my mobile number.

I guess the dialler didn't update when I did it previously.

Thanks to all for your input.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There appears to be a problem at the moment with the carriage of '03' calls.

The program specifies they are routed via 18185 weekdays and via Primus evenings and weekends but, as can be seen HERE there is uncertainty about whether or not Primus will carry them at all and replies are awaited from 1899, 18185 and 18866 as to their position(s) - despite having previously indicated they would.

I'm away for a week (until 23/9/07) now and will further review the position when I return. Anyone with further information, please post on this thread.

Regrettably, the advice at the moment must be to use the 1280 prefix - to send '03' calls via BT.
  • I can't believe I have never noticed this Orchard dialler thing as this would save me a fortune!

I just have a question though

As the dialler will be plugged into one of the extension sockets and not the master one, will I require the v4+ to have the backup power supply?

P.S I am with Bulldog not BT if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
  • msmicawbermsmicawber Forumite
    2K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    How often do other Orchid users force the box to dial home to update settings?
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides