Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 phone users - Discussion

Options

Comments

• orlando1088
    Options
    Thank you so much Heinz, I have written out the instructions and make it the first thing i do the other end.

Its good to know i am still using the best option.

Much appreciated
  • archie159
    Options
    Hi Heinz,

I've been reading your very helpful advice to other users, and have one question of my own. I've just bought an Orchid 4+, but not yet got around to plugging it in. I like the look of your Heinz Programme, with one exception - I make quite a lot of calls to Germany, and though I do use 18185, it seems that there are a number of cheaper providers (eg 1pminute, 05pence) to that particular country.

I like the idea of e-mailing Orchid and asking them to programme my Orchid with your settings (their "quick start" guide doesn't look at all quick to me, and seemed rather confusing at times!), but would they be able to modify it for calls to Germany (only) so that it used one of the above providers instead? Or would I have to do it all myself (as far as I understand it, if I used your programme I would loose the ability to tweak it myself through the CIW software?). ie is it a case of either using your settings unchanged, or having to do the entire thing myself!! Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for any help you can provide,

"Archie"
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Who do you use to phone Germany?

I would think that would be quite easy to set up, why not send Maggie at Orchid an Email and ask they are very good at replying and very helpfull.
  • archie159
    Options
    Who do I use to call Germany? Not sure yet, I've only just moved back to the UK! But using the cost comparisons on this website, the ones I mentioned above seem cheaper that 18185 for calls to Germany. But so far I've only got around to registering for 18185 and Primus (the latter not yet activated). Once I work out how to use this Orchid-thing, I'll give one of them a try...
  • Chris_Kirkman
    Options
    Hi,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I have a Virgin Media (formerly ntl) cable phone line and have been using my orchid dialler successfully for well over a year routing through providers such as DiscountDial, Telediscount, etc
    I got fed up with the frequent changes when I had to reprogram the dialler, getting charged for being told that I had to dial a different number and paying for a call when the person I wanted didn't answer.

Decided to switch to 18185 for all my mobile, 0870, 0845 and international calls. It may not be my cheapest option but as I don't make a tremendous number of calls to these numbers decided the least hassle route would be best.

Changed the routing table accordingly using 08081703703##### to give time for routing but can't get it working properly.

I've had messages that I am dialling a special tariff number which they do not offer, an invalid number and even getting a ringing tone, though not to the number I wanted. I know because I was dialling my mobile and after a few rings was told there was no answer. In each case I was given an option to enter the number I wanted followed by #. Did this and I was able to get through every time.

I thought this would be an easy way to get over the problems I had previously but it's proving to be much more difficult.

Is there something I might be doing wrong, has anyone successfully used an Orchid dialling the 18185 freephone number with a Virgin cable line?

By the way I have tried dialling from my phones directory as well as entering the number manually. Get slightly different respones but neither way is successful.

Any suggestions welcome!
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Is there something I might be doing wrong, has anyone successfully used an Orchid dialling the 18185 freephone number with a Virgin cable line?

No, some phone providers block the numbers and only BT have to allow access to every number.
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    By the way I have tried dialling from my phones directory as well as entering the number manually. Get slightly different respones but neither way is successful.
    If it doesn't work when you dial the number manually, it certainly won't work via the Orchid box.

V
  • Chris_Kirkman
    Options
    Sorry, I don't seem to have put it very clearly.

The number is not being blocked and I can dial it.

I can use the 18185 service and it seems to work, the only issue I have is with using the Orchid dialler to route calls through 08081703703. It will dial the number but for some reason 18185 then seems to get wrong information about the number I am actually trying to call.

When I said dialling the number manually I meant that I was entering the number I wanted to call on the phone keypad but this was still being routed to 18185 by the dialler.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    archie159 wrote: »
    Hi Heinz,

I've been reading your very helpful advice to other users, and have one question of my own. I've just bought an Orchid 4+, but not yet got around to plugging it in. I like the look of your Heinz Programme, with one exception - I make quite a lot of calls to Germany, and though I do use 18185, it seems that there are a number of cheaper providers (eg 1pminute, 05pence) to that particular country.

I like the idea of e-mailing Orchid and asking them to programme my Orchid with your settings (their "quick start" guide doesn't look at all quick to me, and seemed rather confusing at times!), but would they be able to modify it for calls to Germany (only) so that it used one of the above providers instead? Or would I have to do it all myself (as far as I understand it, if I used your programme I would loose the ability to tweak it myself through the CIW software?). ie is it a case of either using your settings unchanged, or having to do the entire thing myself!! Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for any help you can provide,

"Archie"
    Apologies for the delay in replying (a death in the family means I haven't been and won't be about much for a while).

The program is a compromise and, as you've identified, does not necessarily suit someone with a very specific international calls requirement.

As a point of interest, 18185's price (IIRC) for calls to Germany was 1p/minute until recently but, even then, was beaten by 1899 (which then charged ½p/minute but which now charges 1p/minute) and at least one gateway/dialthrough provider (again, ½p/minute).

If you're unsure about programming and, generally, want to follow the program and its 'semi-automatic updates' procedure, I'd recommend just programming a button on your phone with the 0844 number of your chosen provider to bypass the Orchid for your calls to Germany.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure