Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 phone users - Discussion

in Phones & TV
840 replies 79.2K views

Replies

• When clock changes, Summer time ect.

Or when you think you have had a power cut and lost the stored data.

Or when you change settings and need it to update to those new settings.
  • BritBrat wrote: »
    Or when you think you have had a power cut and lost the stored data.
    My Orchid box doesn't need a separate power supply - it is powered by the phone line. So it would only be in the event of a line disconnection that one's settings would be lost. A domestic power failure would not cause this situation (BT exchanges have back-up power supplies).

V
  • True, Someone pulls the phone lead out and you are not using the version with a power supply.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    maniac886 wrote: »
    I just have a question though

As the dialler will be plugged into one of the extension sockets and not the master one, will I require the v4+ to have the backup power supply?
    No, but remember only phones connected to the dialler will route calls via whatever program you decide upon.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • bestymanbestyman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance to Heinz, saved me a lot of work.
    I first set up my dialler a few years ago and havnt been near it since. In fact Ive forgotton how I did it so pleased to hear there is now an easier way .

I am not subcribed to primus, is this neccesary? If so what package do I sign up to .
    I have seen BT adverts saying free evening/weekend calls ( for a year) can I use this instead?

Cheers
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    bestyman wrote: »
    I first set up my dialler a few years ago and havnt been near it since. In fact Ive forgotton how I did it so pleased to hear there is now an easier way .

I am not subcribed to primus, is this neccesary? If so what package do I sign up to.

I have seen BT adverts saying free evening/weekend calls (for a year) can I use this instead?
    The program is intended for those who have:

(1) a BT landline (i.e. pay line rental direct to BT);
    (2) a CPS provider which gives free or inclusive evening and weekend UK 01/02/03 calls;
    (3) an account with www.18185.co.uk

Anyone who has an 'at all times' inclusive calls package would waste money using the program because weekday daytime calls are routed (@ 5p each) via 18185.

As you'll see, the program specifies that a 1280 prefix is used for some calls (to send those calls via BT, instead of via the CPS provider). I am not sure what happens if you dial 1280 when you are still on BT - does it just allow the call through or does it reject the prefix? If the former, being on BT Together Option 2 (not Option 3) would work just as well with the 'semi-automatic update' procedure. If the latter, signing up for primues Saver Option 2 or doing your own Orchid programming would be necessary.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    1.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Heinz wrote: »
    The program is intended for those who have:

(1) a BT landline (i.e. pay line rental direct to BT);
    (2) a CPS provider which gives free or inclusive evening and weekend UK 01/02/03 calls;
    (3) an account with www.18185.co.uk

Anyone who has an 'at all times' inclusive calls package would waste money using the program because weekday daytime calls are routed (@ 5p each) via 18185.

As you'll see, the program specifies that a 1280 prefix is used for some calls (to send those calls via BT, instead of via the CPS provider). I am not sure what happens if you dial 1280 when you are still on BT - does it just allow the call through or does it reject the prefix? If the former, being on BT Together Option 2 (not Option 3) would work just as well with the 'semi-automatic update' procedure. If the latter, signing up for primues Saver Option 2 or doing your own Orchid programming would be necessary.

Thank you. I have just been to the primus website but the page I need is not loading. Am I correct in thinking that with primus you dont have to dial a code first like with 18185?
    If I signed up to primus how would this affect my call diverts? At present I spend £50 a month diverting my Bt landline to my O2 mobile. Would BT or primus bill me for diverts and who is the cheapest.

........and if there is ever anything you need to know about Tesco points just ask, Im an expert :beer:
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Thank you. I have just been to the primus website but the page I need is not loading. Am I correct in thinking that with primus you dont have to dial a code first like with 18185?
    If I signed up to primus how would this affect my call diverts? At present I spend £50 a month diverting my Bt landline to my O2 mobile. Would BT or primus bill me for diverts and who is the cheapest.
    Yes, Primus is a CPS provider - which means that, although you keep your BT landline, pay 'line rental' to BT (BT Together Option 1 is the minimum) and your incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471* and 1571* work normally), you will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all your outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if you want, you can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS allows you still to pick the best carrier for your calls even though you've opted, normally, to use one provider (e.g. Primus Saver Option 2 because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls).

Primus have been having trouble with their website this week - the page detailing Primus Saver Option 2 was not loading for me either.

However, I think your diverts would go via your CPS so it may be better if, rather than Primus Saver Option 2, you go for their Penny Mobile 2 CPS package. That, apart from giving you free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls, also caps the price of calls to mobiles at 20p for the first 20 minutes. If your diverted calls do go via the CPS provider, that means they'd cost 20p each time (if you kept them under 20 minutes). That's probably as good as or better than you're getting at the moment with BT using the F&F Best Friend option to get the best available discount.
    1.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Heinz

I have been looking at the primus site from the link you kindly supplied and there is no mention of free evening and weekend calls and I cannot find the penny mobile plan . Am I not looking in the right place or have the plans changed?
    I also noticed that anyone the reccomends a friend get £20 credit . If I do sign up I will PM you me details if you want and you might as well get the £20.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    I have been looking at the primus site from the link you kindly supplied and there is no mention of free evening and weekend calls and I cannot find the penny mobile plan . Am I not looking in the right place or have the plans changed?

I also noticed that anyone the reccomends a friend get £20 credit . If I do sign up I will PM you me details if you want and you might as well get the £20.
    Don't worry about the £20 (I don't think they offer it when people sign up to their their free packages anyway).

Their packages can be difficult to find and, as they're having problems with their websites at the moment, it'd be easier if I sent you details. PM me an e-mail address (a throw away one if you're worried) and I'll send you some pdf files Primus sent to me last week.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals