We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought car from dealer who then reported it stolen!!

Options

Comments

• TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's more to this story than the op has posted.

How do you know?

You're slating my post and then making up your own facts. Get a grip on your imagination.

Not only do you call the salesman a 'salesman' yourself you then suggest the receipt is dodgy when the thread op has already clearly stated that the garage has said their employee done a runner with the cash after the sale had been agreed etc.

You sound like a real life plod who is just itching to see the bad side in everyone even when they're the victim. You sure it wasn't you who took this car back to the garage?
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    How do know ?

Because the police are not a civil recovery agent.

There must have been some evidence of the vehicle being stolen reported to them. These is none in this thread.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

There must have been some evidence of the vehicle being stolen reported to them. These is none in this thread.

You are wrong
    10+ years ago auction sold me a car that turned up on hpi alert after i paid and took it
    police came to take it away and arrest me for theft because an incompetent main dealer couldn't do his paperwork

i never used the auction after that
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options

What planet are you on?

Stolen or not, if the dealer reports it stolen even though it was paid for the police are going to go and do something about it. They don't get involved in civil disputes over money (IE who paid who and gave who a receipt) but they will get involved for stolen money / fraud.

Sounds to me like you're full of it.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, this report of "Theft" of the vehicle is simply the dealer recovering his lost money after the fraudster employeee ran off with it.
    He is using the police as a debt recovery agency.

I have investigated reports made in similar circumstances - the car has often been impounded but it isn't released to ANYONE until the investigation is concluded. It's evident what has gone on. The dispute is now between the OP and the car dealer, and I'd be seeking legal advice ASAP as he needs to go about recovering either his car or his money from this bent dealer.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    Indeed, this report of "Theft" of the vehicle is simply the dealer recovering his lost money after the fraudster employeee ran off with it.
    He is using the police as a debt recovery agency.

I have investigated reports made in similar circumstances - the car has often been impounded but it isn't released to ANYONE until the investigation is concluded. It's evident what has gone on. The dispute is now between the OP and the car dealer, and I'd be seeking legal advice ASAP as he needs to go about recovering either his car or his money from this bent dealer.

Well if that's the case whoever gets the car will have to pay £150 for the recovery plus £20 a Daz until its sorted.

This could end up more than the value of the car.
  • Bertybert
    Bertybert Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2012 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice and knowledge. To clarify a few points - The Police used 6 police cars and a police helicopter to stop me as i was driving home from work, they had also used a rolling roadblock to close a main road down. It was extremely stressful that the police used such a heavy handed tactic. To be fair once the officers realised that i wasnt the thief etc they kinda felt sorry for me. The car is now in a pound, with all of my work tools in the back, although i have been told i can collect the tools today. I have contacted DVLA and it would seem they have no record of me becoming the new registered keeper, so the salesman never sent the paperwork off - surprise surprise!! I obviously have the new keepers section from the log book, but this means nothing. The police are investigating but have told me it is quite complex. I havent contacted the dealership yet because of the police investigation, I wouldnt want to hinder it - the dealership owner told the police to tell me to give him a call and he will see if we can work something out - this was before they took the car off me!!!! I can not believe the police can just take a car without knowing and seeing all the evidence. I offered the police to come back to my house to see all relevant paperwork, but they declined saying they had to seize the car.
    When i bought the car it was being advertised on their website, so it was definitely for sale and definitely theirs. The dealership owner has said that the salesman wasnt authorised to sell any cars, but the salesman was there on a sunday on his own wearing a company jacket - gives you the impression that he was there to sell cars!!!!
    I have spent a small fortune on this vehicle since buying it making it just how i want i want it! I totally understand that the value of this vehicle will diminish because of this and i am guessing that the warranty they gave will be void.
    I am absolutely convinced that the car is mine as i have the relevant receipts etc but at the moment I am completely in the dark. The police are coming round next week to take a statement from me.
    Am off to get my tools from the car now - if you reply i will read in about an hours or so. Really appreciate all your input - even the odd ones lol
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 April 2012 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Sounds like madness...
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2012 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Make an appointment to see the duty inspector at the police station investigating this and lay your facts and make it quite clear you will be seeking damages from the police.

In the meantime you need to find out if this dealer is a LTD company, if so that is real bad news these days.

County court may not be the best option for this, a served statutory demand would offer less time to do a vanishing act with the money.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    Make an appointment to see the duty inspector at the police station investigating this and lay your facts and make it quite clear you will be seeking damages from the police.

OP don't do this, by all means make a complaint he you feel the police have done something wrong. But if they have acted lawfully why should they sby you damages? You need some proper legal advice now so in and get some and not from vax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport