Bought car from dealer who then reported it stolen!!

Options

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    OP don't do this, by all means make a complaint he you feel the police have done something wrong. But if they have acted lawfully why should they sby you damages? You need some proper legal advice now so in and get some and not from vax.

There's no harm in saying that you will be seeking damages or seeking advice as to damages. It should make them sit up and take notice to make sure that they have done everything they should have done and will do everything they should do from now on.
  • zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    There's no harm in saying that you will be seeking damages or seeking advice as to damages.

As a general rule, I would say that there's a lot of potential for harm when following any advice offered by vax2002.

This is the poster, after all, who states repeatedly that all UK-registered cars are owned by DVLA.
    What goes around - comes around
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2012 at 11:58AM
    Options
    calvingibb wrote: »
    Can't you report the dealer of theft of money? He reported you for theft of car, so you should report him for theft of money

The op hasn't given the dealer box money.

Had the dealer had reported the op for theft he would have been arrested when stopped in it.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bertybert wrote: »
    Thank you for all your advice and knowledge. To clarify a few points - The Police used 6 police cars and a police helicopter to stop me as i was driving home from work, they had also used a rolling roadblock to close a main road down. It was extremely stressful that the police used such a heavy handed tactic. To be fair once the officers realised that i wasnt the thief etc they kinda felt sorry for me. The car is now in a pound, with all of my work tools in the back, although i have been told i can collect the tools today. I have contacted DVLA and it would seem they have no record of me becoming the new registered keeper, so the salesman never sent the paperwork off - surprise surprise!! I obviously have the new keepers section from the log book, but this means nothing. The police are investigating but have told me it is quite complex. I havent contacted the dealership yet because of the police investigation, I wouldnt want to hinder it - the dealership owner told the police to tell me to give him a call and he will see if we can work something out - this was before they took the car off me!!!! I can not believe the police can just take a car without knowing and seeing all the evidence. I offered the police to come back to my house to see all relevant paperwork, but they declined saying they had to seize the car.
    When i bought the car it was being advertised on their website, so it was definitely for sale and definitely theirs. The dealership owner has said that the salesman wasnt authorised to sell any cars, but the salesman was there on a sunday on his own wearing a company jacket - gives you the impression that he was there to sell cars!!!!
    I have spent a small fortune on this vehicle since buying it making it just how i want i want it! I totally understand that the value of this vehicle will diminish because of this and i am guessing that the warranty they gave will be void.
    I am absolutely convinced that the car is mine as i have the relevant receipts etc but at the moment I am completely in the dark. The police are coming round next week to take a statement from me.
    Am off to get my tools from the car now - if you reply i will read in about an hours or so. Really appreciate all your input - even the odd ones lol

Would make sure you have copies of all receipts and any proofs of purchase (Switch/bank statement etc). If you can get these verified as true copies by a notary so much the better. Then at least you will have copies of all your evidence as the police may need to take the originals.

Does seem most extraordinary that it took 5 weeks for the vehicle to be reported stolen. :(
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options

Does seem most extraordinary that it took 5 weeks for the vehicle to be reported stolen. :(

Not really he's spent the time trying to get the money off the salesman.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    Not really he's spent the time trying to get the money off the salesman.
    If this was the case it seems the Garage Owner can have his cake and eat it. For who is to say he has not got the money off the salesman already and is now just pushing his luck?
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    calvingibb wrote: »
    Just asked my mum who works as a lawyer. She told me that as the buyer has handed over cash to the dealer, the car should have nothing to do with it , it's between the dealer and the worker as the cash has been stolen not the car.

Very much this ^^^ unless the dealership manages to claim that their employee "stole the car then sold it" which is likely to be what they're trying to d o by saying that employee wasn't authorised to sell cars.

On the face of it, that seems like a pretty tenuous claim because the car was on sale at the dealers and The OP made initial contact (and agreed to buy) through the dealer - including a card payment for deposit that (presumably) went to the dealer's account.

Collection was arranged for the time and date it was collected (I assume the OP didn't just pop in on the off-chance?) and, at the time of the agreed appointment, the dealer only had one member of staff on duty who they are now claiming "wasn't authorised to make sales".

Further to that, having opened as normal on the next full business day, one would expect that they noticed the "missing" car or cars and, since they couldn't have been sold because (they claim) they had no-one on duty authorised to sell them, the natural response would have been to report the cars stolen at that point.

See a solicitor, get the car back, and claim the all the costs you've suffered (including phonecalls, extra travel costs, and the impound and storage fees) from the dealer - taking it to court if needed.
  • Bertybert
    Bertybert Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Again thank you for your input. We have been down to the compound and collected all my work tools. The guy at the pound couldnt believe the car was seized either... I will contact a solicitor tomorrow and keep you updated!
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Bertybert wrote: »
    Again thank you for your input. We have been down to the compound and collected all my work tools. The guy at the pound couldnt believe the car was seized either... I will contact a solicitor tomorrow and keep you updated!

Which police force seized your car?
  • Bertybert
    Bertybert Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Essex Police...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts