We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought car from dealer who then reported it stolen!!

Options

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    How the police work
    Complainant alleges car stolen Possible results, return car, job over
    Does person driving car make counter complaint of stolen vehicle, Yes= investigate
    No = correct action taken
    Problem resolved.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sadly, unless you have a noisy local reporter that the garage will be bothered about giving them bad press, the solution sounds like it will be through the courts.
    If you had all the keys, full receipt, paperwork etc., the police badly over-stepped their authority when they acted as agents of the dealer.
    Unfortunately while you appear to be the wronged party, the dealer will probably have shifted the problem down the line and it will have been sold/auctioned off by now.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    colino wrote: »
    Sadly, unless you have a noisy local reporter that the garage will be bothered about giving them bad press, the solution sounds like it will be through the courts.
    If you had all the keys, full receipt, paperwork etc., the police badly over-stepped their authority when they acted as agents of the dealer.
    Unfortunately while you appear to be the wronged party, the dealer will probably have shifted the problem down the line and it will have been sold/auctioned off by now.

I think it is the police who will be bothered about the bad press, very very bothered indeed to the point they might just put the tick box form away and do some work.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    It can't be a stolen car if the keys were handed to you and a receipt given.

So if yet get keys and a dodgy receipt you gain good title to the car?

Until the op tells us more about the person who he bought the car off all this advice is mere speculation.

Was the 'salesman' authorised to sell cars or was it some Muppet paid to wash them when the owner was on holiday.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Did you have V5C in your name OP? I think that's an important question, not crucial but it is important as it shows that an authorised empolyee signed off the transfer.

Might be a little early for it to have arrived from DVLA
    So did you get the V5 green transfer slip? Who signed that, was it the theif or someone else?
    If you don't have the V5C yet phone DVLA and ask if the V5C is being processed into your name.

I agree, OP, very annoying to just post and then not be around to answer important questions. for 4+ hours
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    So if yet get keys and a dodgy receipt you gain good title to the car?

Until the op tells us more about the person who he bought the car off all this advice is mere speculation.

Was the 'salesman' authorised to sell cars or was it some Muppet paid to wash them when the owner was on holiday.

Re-read the opening post - the owner of the business was fully aware the car was being sold to the OP, and even discussed dates/times with the OP for handing the car over to him.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    Why do people who post things like this, vanish
    WHERE IS THE POSTER ?
    Please STAY ON LINE !
    Not everyone spends their Saturday tied to their keyboard. Give the guy a chance.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 March 2012 at 4:15PM
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Go to the dealership with your receipt and green slip and refuse to leave without your car! I can't really see what grounds to police have to recover the car if you are now the legal owner, as you purchased it through their staff from their premises and made payment to them.

Their issues are with the thieving employee, not you.

I also wonder how the police would respond if you went and reported the vehicle as stolen, providing them with proof of ownership.

Otherwise a sharply worded letter from a solicitor might have them reconsider their position.
    This assumes that the dealership now has the car. It could well still being held by the police.

OP, I tend to agree with the majority of posters here. You seem to have good title following the conclusion of the car purchase and the only theft that's been committed is the one by the salesman stealing the sales proceeds from his employer, which of course has nothing to do with you. As has already been mentioned, get in touch with a solicitor and the police fairly sharpish.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Re-read the opening post - the owner of the business was fully aware the car was being sold to the OP, and even discussed dates/times with the OP for handing the car over to him.

Yeah, but there's more to this story than the op has posted.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Bertybert wrote: »
    Hey, would really appreciate some sound knowledge / advice. I bought a car from a dealer 5 weeks ago - paid the deposit by switch, then the balance in cash when i picked it up. Apparently the guy at the dealers has done a bunk with the cash i gave him and a few others too. The owner of the dealership reported the car i bought as stolen only this week (5 weeks after i bought it). The police have taken it off of me and have said they doubt i'll get it back. I will get some legal advice, but am going insane trying to work this out. I have a proper receipt on their headed paper etc, i had spoken to the owner of the dealership while purchasing the car - phonecalls about when i could pick it up etc, so he knew i was buying it. Can i get my car back as it wasnt stolen when i bought it and i have a receipt. Should the police be chasing the guy who has done a bunk with the money and leave me alone with my car back on my drive??? Totally puts you off buying anything!!!
    Any advice would be much appreciated! :mad:
    Many thanks.

What date did you buy and collect the car on?

Between what dates is the alleged theft?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport