We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought car from dealer who then reported it stolen!!

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like it's sorting itself out in the incredibly slow, expensive and inconvenient way these things tend to work.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Four cars went out the door for cash and no-one of importance noticed the cash-box was empty? If you do release the car, and still want it, check it over from bumper to bumper, HPi it yourself (proper one) and then judge if you've got what you paid for.
    Sounds extremely dodgy to me.
  • Bertybert
    Bertybert Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, been caught up in other things the last couple of week -
    basically we paid £150 to have the car released. Somehow we only had to pay the minimum charge. From that day to this no police officer has seen any of our details, not the receipt nothing and we still havent given any statement. Its a really odd situation, feels like it never happened now, other than a few scratches on the car and being £150 down....
    Thank you all for your input, i know where to come in future (instead of asking my mates down the pub lol).
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But why did you have to pay £150 if the car was lawfully yours? This makes no sense...
    If it wasn't lawfully yours. they woudn't have released it at all.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect that one of the police used common sense and realised that the OP is innocent but as ways must he had to charge the OP something to then claim back at the end of the investigation...thus charging the minimum amount.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, it may be still worth putting in some claim against the police to recover the fees.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    i would complain against the police, get the independant police complaints commisioner involved.

this is unacceptable, you lawfully purchased a car, you paid by switch (deposit) to prove you were acting in best interests to purchase it, you have a receipt, the vehicle should not have been taken by the police, but merely the police should have asked the dealer in wich action he wanted to take the dealer told them not to take it, but some jumped up power trip officer decided against it WHY? he had no instruction to do so.

so lets some up.

car reported stolen (possible false claim by dealer) as the car wasnt stolen the dealers cash was! and nothing to do with you.

car impounded whilst under instruction not to do so by the dealer (at this stage the police thought the dealer was the rightfull owner and his instructions to the police stands) but the officer incharge decided it was in the interests of himself to impound it (i would go as far as to say unlawfully).

you incure charges at the pound that the police tell you that you must pay (why it was taken without authority dont forget) if you paid by credit card i would contact the bank and reverse the transaction TBH.

you passed pillar to post and and leave messages for the investigating office to contact you, he doesnt and now your left out in the dark.

simple term this smells like a big fat fail by that investigating officer.
    put a complaint in to the station where the officer is based by recorded letter then copy this onto the IPCC http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/default.aspx if you failt to get a resolution the instruct the IPCC to follow on with their independant investigation.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    i would complain against the police, get the independant police complaints commisioner involved.

this is unacceptable, you lawfully purchased a car, you paid by switch (deposit) to prove you were acting in best interests to purchase it, you have a receipt, the vehicle should not have been taken by the police, but merely the police should have asked the dealer in wich action he wanted to take the dealer told them not to take it, but some jumped up power trip officer decided against it WHY? he had no instruction to do so.

so lets some up.

car reported stolen (possible false claim by dealer) as the car wasnt stolen the dealers cash was! and nothing to do with you.

car impounded whilst under instruction not to do so by the dealer (at this stage the police thought the dealer was the rightfull owner and his instructions to the police stands) but the officer incharge decided it was in the interests of himself to impound it (i would go as far as to say unlawfully).

you incure charges at the pound that the police tell you that you must pay (why it was taken without authority dont forget) if you paid by credit card i would contact the bank and reverse the transaction TBH.

you passed pillar to post and and leave messages for the investigating office to contact you, he doesnt and now your left out in the dark.

simple term this smells like a big fat fail by that investigating officer.
    put a complaint in to the station where the officer is based by recorded letter then copy this onto the IPCC http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/default.aspx if you failt to get a resolution the instruct the IPCC to follow on with their independant investigation.

Your suggestion involves a complaint against a number of officers, some of whom have done nothing wrong.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    Your suggestion involves a complaint against a number of officers, some of whom have done nothing wrong.
    so what! are you suggesting the OP doesnt for the sake of a few officers having to explain their actions and justifying the seizure?

so let the complaint run its course, those who did nothing wrong get a pat on the back and the ones that did do wrong will think again. thats if the OP run a complaint if he wishes.

if it were me i wouldnt let it drop and push to get compensation for the damage to the vehicle whilst in their custody and out of pocket expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport