We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought car from dealer who then reported it stolen!!

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2012 at 3:58PM
    Options
    calvingibb wrote: »
    Yer so the buyer has to complaint too at the moment they are going to side with the seller as he has reported the matter to the police not the buyer
    No, at the moment the police are going investigate the matter. The only thing the OP has to do right now is contact his solicitor so they can put his case across. Simples.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    Yer so the buyer has to complaint too at the moment they are going to side with the seller as he has reported the matter to the police not the buyer

The buyer has no complaint to make against the police or the dealer, maybe against the salesman but the dealer has already done that.

If Essex Police's policy is to seize stolen vehicles they've done nothing wrong.

Before Vax and Wig start, you can make a complaint against police policy.
  • Bertybert
    Bertybert Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Again, i think theres more too this than meets the eye. The owner (who reported it stolen) spoke to me on the phone regarding when i could collect the car etc He knew i was buying it, he knew the salesman had sold it to me, but he wasnt there when i handed over the money - BTW i refuse to take responsibility for this because i paid cash. We all use cash to buy stuff every day of the week, and at no point was anything suspicious. I had no indication that this guy was going to run off with the money.
    The way i see it is, i paid for a vehicle and gained a receipt for that transaction. Once the money was taken and the keys were handed to me, that was the transaction completed. What happened after i left that garage and what happened to the money should not be my concern... Of course i get that i could be very wrong on this and could well end up with nothing :|
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April 2012 at 4:48PM
    Options
    If the dealer had legal title to the vehicle (have you established that?), and you paid for it and can produce the paperwork to prove it, then you should be the legal owner. You have stolen nothing-the employee has simply stolen some of the takings of the business. That is for the owner to resolve with the police-nothing to do with you.
    If the vehicle was not theirs to sell because it was stolen or still on finance (have you checked that also?), then it was not theirs to sell and you have no legal title to it, whether you bought it in good faith or not.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Bertybert wrote: »
    Again, i think theres more too this than meets the eye. The owner (who reported it stolen) spoke to me on the phone regarding when i could collect the car etc He knew i was buying it, he knew the salesman had sold it to me, but he wasnt there when i handed over the money -
    BTW i refuse to take responsibility for this because i paid cash. We all use cash to buy stuff every day of the week, and at no point was anything suspicious. I had no indication that this guy was going to run off with the money.
    The way i see it is, i paid for a vehicle and gained a receipt for that transaction. Once the money was taken and the keys were handed to me, that was the transaction completed. What happened after i left that garage and what happened to the money should not be my concern... Of course i get that i could be very wrong on this and could well end up with nothing :|

Are the owner of the car and company the same person?
    Was it the garages to sell?
  • Bertybert
    Bertybert Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it was the garages to sell. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car when it was up for sale and when we purchased it - the police have confirmed this. I think the owner reported it stolen (5 weeks after i purchased it!!!) because he realised that he had more chance of getting some money back by re-acquiring the vehicle rather than chasing the employee who done a bunk with the money - lets face it, if they catch the employee, its not likely thats hes going to have the money sat in his pocket.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    Yes it was the garages to sell. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the car when it was up for sale and when we purchased it - the police have confirmed this. I think the owner reported it stolen (5 weeks after i purchased it!!!) because he realised that he had more chance of getting some money back by re-acquiring the vehicle rather than chasing the employee who done a bunk with the money - lets face it, if they catch the employee, its not likely thats hes going to have the money sat in his pocket.

Did you HPI the car before you bought it?

Can you also confirm that Essex Police took the car and you bought it in the Essex force area.

If all that is correct then the vehicle should never have been put on the computer as stolen. Someone has made an error and it's begining to look like it's the police.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you discussed this with the owner?
    If you didn't HPI it, I'd be doing that right now.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    Essex Police...

You mean the sleaze balls who make Road Wars and another TV road show.

That'll explain the use of the helicopter then.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Options
    i thnk this is a april fool! police would laugh at the dealer if he told them a buyer gave me money for the car i sold and now it stolen loll

Maybe if he had started the thread today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport