We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought car from dealer who then reported it stolen!!

Options

Comments

• 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What difference does that make? The V5C does not indicate ownership, merely who is the registered keeper. It tells you this in big letters in a big red box on the front of the V5C.

But it would indicate that the dealership has concluded the sale and sent off all paperwork in this respect
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    What difference does that make? The V5C does not indicate ownership, merely who is the registered keeper. It tells you this in big letters in a big red box on the front of the V5C.

If I was on the jury, I probably wouldn't believe a garage that said they had transferred the v5 to a new registered keeper, but hadn't sold them the car.

Bit I'd love to hear why they did it.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    the police would have had to arrest me before i gave the car up
    owner of business knew you were buying the car]
    his salesman has stolen the money
    youve used the salesman as an employee of the owner
    to me the owner should be arrested for saying car stolen

What offence do you suggest the owner should be arrested for?
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    What offence do you suggest the owner should be arrested for?
    knowingly misled the police
    for starters
    and if you were a real policeman rather than a fascimile from a beetles cover you wouldnt ask such a stupid jack question
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    knowingly misled the police
    for starters
    and if you were a real policeman rather than a fascimile from a beetles cover you wouldnt ask such a stupid jack question

Can you give a link and some evidence for that offence?
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Why do people who post things like this, vanish
    WHERE IS THE POSTER ?
    Please STAY ON LINE !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    the car will now show to HPI as stolen recovered, so will deminish in value, i would claim for the losses and inconvienience aswell as going down to the dealership with purchase reciept in hand and demanding it back or released from pound if thats where it is.

the dealer has no rights to report the car stolen but the police has to act on a report and all civil aspects must be cleared up on your and dealers part by communicating.

you should get a solicitor, i would aslo seek trading standards in this respect and ask consumer direct for some help also.

the dealers aspect is with the ex employee who commited fraud and theft.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    Can you give a link and some evidence for that offence?

SB means the dealership owner should be arrested for waisting police time and making false report of theft.

but this wont happen and if the dealersahip is found to have misused the police authority will have a stern word spoken to him instead.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    To be frankly honest the police do what the police like until they think they might get shown up .
    I would contact the local press as quickly as possible.
    The police will contact you then !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    It can't be a stolen car if the keys were handed to you and a receipt given.

The bloke who's done a runner is the one who the police should be looking at. I'd get a solicitor involved ASAP not just to deal with the garage (who will be insured against this sort of thing) but also to handle the police for wrongful recovery of goods. The car is yours - you've paid for it, got a receipt for it and if the dealer is too stupid to have their own arrangements for cash then its down to their insurers to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport