PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Having a baby Old Style???

Comments

• Katinkka
    Katinkka Posts: 426 Forumite
    Money saving tips:
    breast feed - literally saves over £100 a month if not more.

How on earth does bottle feeding cost that much? Ive bottlefed 2 children and spent nowhere near that and I used sma gold. Don't want to get into the whole breast/bottle debate but dont like people to be mislead like that. I cant BF due to medications i need to take as soon as I give birth but have tried it before and find bottle feeding actually much more convenient although its obviously not OS.
    :heart2:I have a child with autism.:heart2:
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    ive worked it out down to "bare necessities" granted, they are all brand new things from Mothercare but included re-usable nappies, clothes, toiletries (sudacrem,towels and the what not), small selection of toys, pram, cot, a changing station ( i have a dodgy back) and things like changing bag x2 (i loved the idea of having the 2 bags packed and ready)

All this came to £500 but i could hunt around for cheaper alternatives i know and get bought alot of things but the £500 was me picking what i *liked and wanted* from mothercare.com and not what i thought was bare minimum so i dont think i did too bad really.

ill post up my price list when i get to work in the AM... i sat and made the list at work.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Getting back to the names thing, I recently heard a grandma yelling to a little boy
    "Trafford! Will you come away from that bin!"

Dad a Man U supporter no doubt :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    My step sister gave me a 3 in one pram which I bought a new mattress for the carrycot. Used this as a moses basket and cot for a while. The pram came with all accessories except a bag. We used it all so much we replaced the wheels twice. When finished with I took it to the local church who sold to another cash strapped mum to be for £15! It was a silver cross and it carried my son many miles and also loads of shopping. I bought a pushchair type one which did not get used as much as I thought it would as you needed to push with both hands and there was no shopping room even though it looked trendy.

the painful bit is welcomed in the end as you want it out as you feel it is time to get your body back to yourself and you get a lovely gift at the end.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • ancasta_2
    i'd LOVE a silvercross pram. I had one when i was a babba!
    The only people i see with them now are teh people that run the annual fair in Newcastle!
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    larmy16 wrote:
    Getting back to the names thing, I recently heard a grandma yelling to a little boy
    "Trafford! Will you come away from that bin!"

Dad a Man U supporter no doubt :)

:rotfl:
    Thanks for the first, and no doubt best, laugh of the day:rotfl::beer:

Thankfully Hubby agrees with me that "Highbury" doesn't work for Spud and we will be sticking with our intended very old style recycled-from-many-previous-generations name of........George;)

PS : If he grows up to be a Man U supporter:eek: we will be selling him into the slave trade:p
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • ancasta_2
    I would have to call mine St. James or stadium (as in stadium of !!!!e)

Neither are very appealing.
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Hello again,

If you're pricing up on essentials do look at IKEA. Because of their multiple country marketing childrens items have to meet safety legislation in lots of countries, so likely to be minimum UK/EU. Had a good review in a recent Friends of the earth book for being a 'good' high street store to use.

For facecloths they do cheap multiple packs with different coloured tapes to hang by, so you can use different colours for different things/people. (You could cut down & edge old towels to make wipes if you prefer, but IKEA prices don't make it worthwhile - so we use old towels for normal housework wipes).

I used IKEA when I had to provide basic essentials for childminding registration/inspection.

Prices are normally very good too compared to high street. Young children love the sets of mixed coloured bowls, tumblers, plates & plastic cutlery.

So maybe have a browse & see what prices you get.

We use them currently for cheap linen & duvet sets for sending off with students to university.

Was also recommended to use charity shops for plastic/solid toys, you can find them in good condition and clean thoroughly. Can use them like a toy library & return (or car boot sale) if in good condition.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ancasta wrote:
    ive worked it out down to "bare necessities" granted, they are all brand new things from Mothercare but included re-usable nappies, clothes, toiletries (sudacrem,towels and the what not), small selection of toys, pram, cot, a changing station ( i have a dodgy back) and things like changing bag x2 (i loved the idea of having the 2 bags packed and ready)

All this came to £500 but i could hunt around for cheaper alternatives i know and get bought alot of things but the £500 was me picking what i *liked and wanted* from mothercare.com and not what i thought was bare minimum so i dont think i did too bad really.

ill post up my price list when i get to work in the AM... i sat and made the list at work.

Hi Ancaster

Looking forward to seeing your list, it might prompt me with something I have forgotton! However, why have you inculded things like towels on it? Towels are towels, whether they are sold in a baby wrapper or not, they do the same job & you don't need to buy specific ones just for baby IMHO. Don't be sucked into thinking you need baby toilteries either, midwives & health visitors strongly recommend that for the first 6 months at least nothing but water and if necessary a little unscented regular soap and some nappy cream as required, no baby lotion, baby bath, talc etc, all these things went out with the ark! A changing table is only usable until baby can roll over then it is unsafe & you will have to find something else (like a big bed) anyway, so you might be able to make do with this from the beginning? By the end of Baby's first year you will also incure safety costs for things like stair gates, cupboard locks etc, and a high chair.
    Have you considered pregnacy costs? Maternity clothes do not have to be expensive ( IMHO even the expensive ones don't fit properly and aren't at all flattering anyway) but enve cheap stuff costs money, you may need pregnancy vitamins at about £10 per month, food costs may go up depending on what you feel like eating/can keep down/crave, you will need to take folic acid supplements at the beeginning (about £3 for 3 months worth) and you may find that althoguh "going out" expenditute decreases you might spend more on home entertainment like books, dvd's etc to keep yourself occupied. Also if you suffer from lots of nausea, pregnancy problems (hope you don't but it does happen) you might find yourself taking time off work sick : do you get sick pay? Oh and parking for ante-natal visits to the hospital soon adds up, if you join the NCT this is far whack ( I haven't, far to expensive IMHO & ante-natal care & classes in my area are fab so no need).
    Also be warned, Mothercare, although the most comprehensive baby shop I have found, is also just about the most expensive! You can get everything they sell cheaper form Babies R Us (found inside branches of Toys R Us) or Tescos or even Boots & you can get loyalty points & special offers from all of these shops which you can't get from Mothercare.

Oh dear, sounds like everything I have just said is negative.....I don't mean to be, I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way, just a case of forewarned is forearmed;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Okay so ours would be Ashton (after Ashton Gate - Bristol City) - hmm perhaps not! - Ahston!!! Come down for yer tea and wash your hands!

Even though we arent properly trying yet, we have decide that we love the names Nicole Jean (Jean after OH's late mother) and Thomas John (after my dad and his dad respectively) :-)
    Kirsty, Taunton, xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport