PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Having a baby Old Style???

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Actually the pregnancy prodding & poking is suprisingley little, I haven't had a singel internal examination at all so far as I have had a trouble free pregnancy in that respect. Of course you can't rely on this & it'll all go right out the window with labour dawns but by then I won't care anyway, in the mean time I haven't had to expose my bits once!

I have never had a coil so I don't know about them but I made sure I had a smear test before we started trying, it gave me peace of mind in that department.

You really do sound very sensible amd I think you'll work out whats best for you & OH in good time, don't rush it & the right way will present itself to you probably sooner rather than later.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Just a quick question.....

Is it safe/suitable for a baby to sleep in a "travel cot" all the time or do they need a proper wooden cot type bed? Ive seen one i think its really nice but it just happens to be a travel cot?!
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I believe so but beware that baby might grow out of it before you are ready. As an alternative to the dreaded moses basket (Sorry, I hate them with a passion, no idea why!) it would proabably work whilst baby is in your room with you for the first few months. If it is one that doubles as a play-pen for when baby is a few months older you'll get double value out of it too:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • eyeopener
    eyeopener Posts: 51 Forumite
    We've been quite lucky in a lot of respects. Some friends of ours donated their old Moses basket (sorry Lillibet) and a playpen as well! You will be suprised how many people buy you stuff. Friends generosity has astounded me, friends who can't really afford stuff but want to help in some way. People are lovely.

One thing we have done is paid any bills we can for the year. Car/house insurance, pet insurance, basically anything we paid monthly and can pay in advance has been sorted. So when OH maternity pay runs out money is not forcing her back to work.

No doubt it will be tight, but whats new!!!!!!!!!!
  • ancasta_2
    The cot i like is this one http://www.mothercare.com/invt/lx0074&bklist=icat,4,,shotravelpushchairs,tratravelcots
    Any thoughts now you have seen it? Would be nice to have something we could move from our room to the spare room and travel with if necessary
  • penrith
    penrith Posts: 116 Forumite
    ancasta wrote:
    Just a quick question.....

Is it safe/suitable for a baby to sleep in a "travel cot" all the time or do they need a proper wooden cot type bed? Ive seen one i think its really nice but it just happens to be a travel cot?!

I suppose it depends on how supportive the bottom of the travel cots is. It varies between travelcots. I spent a lot of time at relatives when one of mine was little (i was ill quite a bit) and they had to sleep in a travel cot for quite some time. Has appeared to do them any harm but i wouldn't have been my preferred choice.

I bought a 3in1 pram/puchchair when my first was born. I used the deatchable pram part for the baby to sleep in until he was about 5 months old and then i bought a cotbed. I used the pram part like moses basket and by the time the 2nd on was born i found you could buy a stand for a bath/moses basket that fitted the pram bit. I then used this for my 2nd as a moses basket&bed until she was 6 months old and then i moved 1st one out of cotbed and into a proper bed and baby went into the cotbed (although when i'd bought the cot bed i had only intended to have one baby).

Now i've got an empty pram :(:( Guess who's broody
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Remember that there is also no need to splash out on a brand new name for a young baby, as many of the old style names can be easily recycled: Forget "Kylie" and "Jake" and think instead in terms of "Ethel" "Gertrude", "Doris" and "Maude".

Alternatively you can follow the Beckhams and name your child "Back seat of a Fiat Panda" or "In the toilet at his parents house".

Pal Juniors future sibling will be called "Its the middle of the bloody night! OK, as long as I don't have to do anything."
  • ancasta_2
    We were thinking Jake/Nathan for a boy with Walter as a middle name (no jokes its after my recently deceased grandad) and Ella/Lilly for a girl with Dorothy as a middle name (OH's deceased grandmother.)

I couldnt think of anything worse than in about 7yr time when there will be shedloads off mams standing outside shouting Shakira, Britney, Beyonce ya teas ready!
  • eyeopener
    eyeopener Posts: 51 Forumite
    Beyonce ya teas ready!

:rotfl:

Thats made my day
  • ancasta_2
    Would be worse if it was a boy.....

Dre, Snoop, Robbie, Akon come get ya tea!

:confused:
    nowt as queer as folk :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family