PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• tryingtobethrifty
    Options
    My mum's drummed in to me never to buy any plates bowls etc with cracks or chips in it so was sad one day to leave behind a Mason Cash mixing bowl although I thought it was pretty expensive at £7 or £8.

Last week I picked a large one up with no cracks/chips for a whole £1.

Woohooooo...........I used it today!
    "A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others" Barnyard the children's film.

"A wise man hears one word, but understands two" Cars 2
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    Is anyone else a bit 'schizophrenic' with their CS clothing purchases?

I was looking at myself in the mirror this morning and was wearing a brand new cashmere cardi from White Company (over £100, a present from OH) and a full price shirt from Boden (£29 from memory), a pair of Moshulu shoes (£79) but all teamed with a pair of trousers from the hospice shop for a fiver.

I've also bought online today a yellow pure silk scarf (£37) to wear with a yellow lambswool pullover (£3.25 at BHF). Does anyone else do this???

YES! But it's usually the other way round with me :p
    Went out for a posh Sunday lunch last week-end wearing M & S wool trousers and a silk shirt, £3 and £1.50 from the hospice chazza shop, a patterned pashmina - £1.50 in another chazza shop and a pair of Anne Klein leather boots, £179, ( birthday prezzie). Crazy but I love it! :rotfl:
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    a paperback for my daughter for 40p and a lovely Sheridan duvet set for my mum for £4.50. She's done very well with all the bedlinen I've managed to find her this last few months :D.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a 'schizo' too - like Miro my shoes usually cost more than my outfits but there again thrifty clothes mean I can have a 'treat' with new shoes now & again (well, that's my excuse!!)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    I was in France for a week, then of course work was manic until I caught up, so I've been having chazza withdrawal syndrome until today. Got a pair of brown Gollehaug cords and a soft camel cashmere stole to wear with them, plus series 4 of House (got 1-3 a couple of years back for £9.00 in total) - each £2.00. Plus a hand-coloured Vistorian engraving of a Millais picture in its original frame for £2.50, and a huge 1960s cookery book (Purnell's - over 8,000 recipes) for £1.00!

The cookery book looks useful for cakes, breads and biscuits, although some of the savoury recipes will need tweaking for modern tastes - lamb curry for 8 with 1 teaspoonful of curry powder?
  • Cwtchie
    Cwtchie Posts: 331 Forumite
    Options
    Found my daughter a really lovely soft cream and beige boucle jacket, fitted from m&s for £6 :)
    £250 shopping, diesel and any other spends
    December 16- January 15 £345.06/250.00 -£95.06
    £2 saving a day for christmas 2017 £0/£730
    Total debt paid off before 26 December 2017 £3142.31/14,053.85 = £10911.54 left to go
  • MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 November 2013 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Although I have been donating more than buying in Charity Shops, I still love reading about everyone's bargains.

I also mentally add up the cost of my outfit most days. Today - Earl jeans, FatFace top and Celtic sheepskin boots. Total of £14.00ish. When I popped out I had a Barbour jacket on (£100.00ish).
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • madelaine
    Options
    Thats whats great about charity shops, i don't shop there because i have to, thankfully, but because, i couldn't justify some of the prices the shops charge, also means, i get to have a few holidays a year, which if i payed full price for everything, i probably couldn't afford.
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options

I was looking at myself in the mirror this morning and was wearing a brand new cashmere cardi from White Company (over £100, a present from OH) and a full price shirt from Boden (£29 from memory), a pair of Moshulu shoes (£79) but all teamed with a pair of trousers from the hospice shop for a fiver.

I've also bought online today a yellow pure silk scarf (£37) to wear with a yellow lambswool pullover (£3.25 at BHF). Does anyone else do this???

No, because I dont tend to buy expensive clothes full stop, cant afford them.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Definitely.

I think it's an extension of an OS way of dressing.

My DGD wears a mixture of full price Jack Wills, outlet Ralph Lauren and bits of Primark, Tu and George.

So tomorrow I plan on wearing a Jigsaw top (CS) with my Sainsbury's jeans and my lovely Puffa (TK Maxx) jacket.

Not so different to a piece of slow cooked meat with loads of veg and a decent bottle of wine!:rotfl:

Result!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family