Luck-lack of it, and getting it

Options

Comments

• Treacle1983
    Treacle1983 Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    remi411 wrote: »
    Hiya I'm quite new too comping and I know these questions are some what off topic but what exactly is robo-form and where do you get it if you want it???
    QUOTE]

Forgot to cover this in my previous post - sorry :(

Roboform is available here: http://www.roboform.com/

I just use the free version myself

It is very handy for compers as it can remember your log in details for specific sites and log you in at the touch of a button

You can also fill in your personal info and it will fill in forms for you - again all you need to do is press a button and double check it's filled it all in ok.

It probably saves at least 1-2 minutes per competition - using it I easily manage to enter 50-80 in an hour.
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
  • vanpopple
    vanpopple Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You make some good points, and while we know there are many
    very nice genuine people on here both on the staff and public,
    unfortunately as with any site there are always 'Bad Eggs'
    - but thats something for the site owner to sort out.

However i feel as this is a free forum designed to benefit us general members of the public if we that certain members or staff are indeed
    doing something to the detriment of the site then surely its up to us to point this out.

This being said if users reading this and maybe finding the articles around the web about it all, then DONT post on the forum (as it will be taken off of course!) but go directly to Martin himself only if you beleive an injustice has been done and you can easily prove it- easily contactable directly via twitter, personal email etc..

That way everyone feels fairly treated, and as im still a newish member, iwas very suprised at just how many people seemed to agree who have been on this site for years, so were they afraid to say something or was whatever they did say immediately taken down like mine post??????

Well i think ive had my say and to be honest as a newer member thats where im leaving it for posting on forums on mse.
    As there aint much point.
    I will copy this down just incase this also gets removed before many people see it..

So you can all make your own mind up its a 50/50 thing, but lets not forget at the end of the day this site is free, yes you get censored
    but thats business.

I personally think martin lewis is britains man of the last decade, he has saved thousands of people thousands of pounds including my family (ppi/bank charges), there is some invaluable information on many aspects of money in the uk and for that im proud to be a part of it, lets just hope he does indeed read posts like this once in a while that way he can judge for himself what needs changing..

Apart from that have a great winning week everybody even the people who obviously will have a winning week, lets just hope that once in a while the people who havent won finally get something.

I myself am perfectly happy have won twice 1-bar of chocolate, and 3 tickets to the olympic park run and entrance for the first ever public viewing of the olympic stadium at the end of the month,
    (total people 5000) so i feel extremely lucky that im going to be among the first people to be inside the stadium and as there only 5000 people we will see it like it will never be seen again, and of course the run finishes at the actual finishing line on the olympic running track!!
    Wow!! Now thats a prize i wouldnt swap for all the tea in china...

Good luck and all the best to everybody on mse :beer:
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some good advice above. One thing I would add is to keep an eye open for competitions where the prize is tickets. Particularly if the venue for the concert (or whatever) is not too far from where you live. It would not make sense for people living in say Manchester to enter a competition to win tickets for a venue in say Bristol so you have better odds of winning, as there are less entries.
  • rhynouk
    rhynouk Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    this year i've won 10 or so things,nothing huge just bits & pieces,my other brother has won a few DVD's but my younger bro hasn't won a sniff yet.

i think it's just patience & keep doing it,i won an iphone 4s last year which proved to me big things can be won.

stick with it i say
    2011-£1576 of Prizes Won
  • vanpopple
    Options
    Thanks marg & ryhnouk,
    I agree i did at first enter everything, but then realised why would i want to win a 15kg bag of dog food when i dont have a dog etc..
    To be honest its not only a waste of my time but somebody who may really have wanted or needed that prize in todays climate was deprived by greed i suppose you can call it,
    and although there are people who do enter everything, then i dont care what they say its no longer fun for them as its a business and unfortunately for them all good things will come to an end..

So after about 4-5 days of realising this i now enter comps for prizes that i want to win to keep or try n win for family or my partner.
    There are times when you may get a runners up prize that is useless to yourself so we had achat about that also on here and there are options, ie swap sites and i suppose auctions sites although i personally wouldnt feel quite right selling stuff, if i couldnt do a trade then everywhere in the uk there are charitys & schools who are crying out for help so you could donate or even if you wanted to sell whatever it was (as a bag of dogfood wouldnt be much use to every school or charity) then you could make it a win-win situation sell your unwanted prize and make say a 25% donation to a local charity or even church aas churches always need money to survive, that way youre happy in the knowledge youve done a selfless deed and youve got a bit of spare cash..

Happy comping:A
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • rhynouk
    rhynouk Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes i think of stopping for a while then something will come through the door unexpected & it gives you a little boost to carry on.

I used to enter everything but as times gone on i've just done things i would like or a family member would like.

the IWIWIW board always cheers me up & gives me inspiration when the comping fairy is running the other way.
    always friendly people on here who will help out when you need them
    2011-£1576 of Prizes Won
  • peppermintangel
    Options
    Even though I've won some fabulous prizes in the 10 months I've been comping - the majority of them haven't been down to luck. I enter lots of random draw competitions and don't win many of those!! But I try to enter all the effort competitions as well (photos, videos, tiebreakers etc) and these are where I've won some amazing prizes!

I won a night in a 5* suite which was from a best answer wins competition last year, and just before Christmas I got a WTC for a family trip to Lapland which, again, was a judged competition where you had to answer three questions.

I find it's better to enter fewer competitions and spend time on some effort ones than entering all the random ones as these, obvious, have so many more entrants :)

Good luck & hoping some wins come your way soon! :D
    Best of 2011: London Trip,Hot Air Balloon,£1660, phone,Kindle,Trip to Lapland! Total 2011 wins: £6865
    Best of 2012: Trip to Disneyland Paris, £1665 cash/vouchers, trip to Harrogate, trip to Birmingham, £230 vacuum, 2 x mobile phones, Olympics tickets! Total 2012 wins: £6624
  • vanpopple
    edited 4 March 2012 at 7:43PM
    Options
    Even though I've won some fabulous prizes in the 10 months I've been comping - the majority of them haven't been down to luck. I enter lots of random draw competitions and don't win many of those!! But I try to enter all the effort competitions as well (photos, videos, tiebreakers etc) and these are where I've won some amazing prizes!

I won a night in a 5* suite which was from a best answer wins competition last year, and just before Christmas I got a WTC for a family trip to Lapland which, again, was a judged competition where you had to answer three questions.

I find it's better to enter fewer competitions and spend time on some effort ones than entering all the random ones as these, obvious, have so many more entrants :)

Good luck & hoping some wins come your way soon! :D

I think my sweet we may have been sperated at birth, THATS exactly what im doing in the last few days, ie.. i did a drawing comp for a car it took me nearly 3 hours to do and had to redo it a few times as i kept erasing parts by accident.
    But you know even if i dont win its so much more fun, you know drawing, or doing photos videos, or comping up with puns etc..
    I do of course still enter lucky draws - simply hit roboform and voila, but only for things i or my family want and nothing more. (that way if i won a priz ei know i will be happier)
    and yes there will be less people enetering these as like i did at first i enetered everything from dog food to motorbike oil (dont have either and none of my family do)
    I find myself now trying to find comps with:- say why you love.....
    say why youd be good... etc etc...
    Thats how i won the olympic park run, it was a write in comp..
    and at least you know if you think youre clever at limericks or puns, or taking photos then youre in with a much much better chance..

Also i quite like snow and am good at keeping hands warm so if you need an extra for lapland just pm me lol x
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of replies to read :)

I like doing the effort comps but there's so few of them around in comparison, and fewer still that are possible to do or have a prize you'd like to win.

Going to try Roboform finally tomorrow, hopefully it will help with the ITV comps at least-I only have two phone numbers to be able to use for entries with them but it's still a bit of a hassle!
  • vanpopple
    Options
    Pechow, the itv ones are amongst the easiest of all espec with roboform, seriously install the roboform i gave then try them, trust me you will be back on here, saying "why didnt i use it sooner"

It takes me about 5 seconds on average to enter an itv comp (as long as i can read the captcha code easily)

Today ive entered around 50 comps so far and only had to use my keyboard to enter any details twice (apart from if theres a captcha code)

In this thread theres much good advice about all aspects of comping and which comps can be good and comps that you essentially can control if you, all you got to do is be good with words and again theres many unrelated comping sites that can help you learn puns etc and other info about this site in general and with the other thread you should be entering 50+ comps within a couple of hours each day easily.
    You have also been armed with where to go for extra comps (thanx to treacle) so come on dont let any of us down..

MY final word......GOOD LUCK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure