We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Luck-lack of it, and getting it

Options

Comments

• babs
    babs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Pechow,

Make sure that you enter the comps where there are loads of prizes, like the cheese plate one, there were 2,500 of them to give away and a lot of people (including me) managed to get one, only a little win, but always a thrill when the fedex man walks down the drive!! I've just started back comping in 2012 after taking all last year off and I do think I am have always been lucky and have won some amazing prizes (although never won a facebook or twitter on yet!!!)

keep at it and enjoy it, I am sure something good will be just round the corner!
    £2021 in 2021... £253.86/£2021
  • JRsrule
    JRsrule Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fingers crossed for some good luck for all the MSE'rs
    x
    Think I'll take some time this weekend to set up a Facebook, thank you Treacle for your advice
    x
    And thank you to everyone who posts a comp, one day I'll find a new one to add!!
  • abbyed33
    abbyed33 Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    Thats what I did as I felt like mine was cursed lol, it seemed to work for me, and I always do that little bit extra than is asked for i.e, tweet, like and thank them greatly for entering me where appropriate, sending lots of luck your way ( but not mine lol :rotfl:)
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)
  • superlukey
    Options
    Don't worry - you're not the only one. Have been comping since Sept 2011 and no wins so far. Work full-time so have to comp evenings and weekends so time is limited and only enter ones I want to win.

I do get disillusioned sometimes when I see others winning but another way I look at it - you have to be in it to win it (so they say on the lottery) and at least you are giving yourself the chance of winning. It does motivate me too seeing others winning stuff.

Fingers crossed for us all!!xx thanks to all the wonderful compers.
  • purplebutterfly
    Options
    Try to get signed up for testing panels if you can. I've had 4 things from Boots so far this year and it makes up a little for the lack of wins.
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • wazka
    Options
    sweetie, you have in your nickname word - pech (that in polish means bad luck),
    maybe this is the reason ;)
    just keep going and good luck :)
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    edited 29 February 2012 at 11:14PM
    Options
    I know, that's why I picked it-from Pechowy meaning 'unlucky'. I started in August but registered in October (was shy), hadn't won anything yet, and that's what I thought of at the time :rotfl:

Realistically it doesn't affect anything but... oops. If nothing else, it's certainly proved suitable ;)
  • vanpopple
    vanpopple Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Options
    Although i agree somewhat with your plight i only started 17th feb and have won a cadburys choc (not much but it didnt cost me anything) and just last night was emailed by itv to say id won my mum a place in the first opening of the olympic stadium in the olympic park run, so you can win.
    However that wasnt a comp on here and i enetered before i found this site, and a choc bar well i get coupons through the door all the time.

I also eneter 200+ a day (if i can find that many) but iam becoming skeptical about some of the 'so-called' winners i see many many names the same names winning again and again day after day - the name that springs to mind is 'christine mse northrop' - now ok she may be legitimate, or maybe something to do with this site and may get information us normal people dont, because seriously nobodys that lucky are they??

But despite all ive said these comps are free and genuine people are winning admittedly not the super big prizes but something, so i guess you gotta just plod on, and dont forget POSTAL comps have the fewest entries so much more chance and its only the price of a stamp you can even use a second class stamp.

BEST OF LUCK TO EACH AND EVERYONE ON HERE, EVEN 'CHRISTINE MSE' - WHO DOESNT NEED LUCK (CAN YOU SEND ME SOME OF YOURS)
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • hollybellybootsy
    Options
    Keep trying im sure you will win somthing i started comping about 12 years old, my first win was cinema tickets to see a preview of a film then i started from their onwards, i just think it is luck but alot of more people enter competitions now as to back then but theirs plenty of prizes to go around so keep trying and i sure soon you will get a wem or a phone call or something may even turn up in the post :)
  • vanpopple
    vanpopple Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2012 at 1:29AM
    Options
    DO NOT SET UP A SEPERATE FACEBOOK ACCOUNT JUST FOR COMPING - very bad idea.

A lot of people have been having their comping fb accounts and even normal accounts shut down for being spammy - plus facebook have a only 1 facebook account rule.

So just set up a normal account - don't put anything too specific about yourself - but do use your normal name

Then just pop over to the 'competitionclub' page to find the competitions and follow the instructions.

Some facebook competitions require you to visit a facebook page and fill in an entry form or play a quick instant win game

Others just need you to press like and share on a particular post on their page etc..

All very easy.

This post by treacle is SUPERB info for all new compers, (like me) i have done what she says about facebook and already entered 2 comps (1 for tyres, 1 for ipad) in seconds, theres also a australian version so make sure you use the .co.uk version, although there maybe prizes on the aus versions we can try and win.
    Well ive only managed to do 6 hours so far today so better get cracking,
    if youre reading this treacle how about a quick explo on how the 'dailies' work? Im still stuck its so confusing, like a list of comps with loads of instructions or am i doing something wrong.

*Just been zooming around cclub there is a forum on their standard homepage (not their facebook page) that has a full list of comps.
    Thanks once again treacle and GOOD LUCK 'Pechow' - but consider your name sometimes 'karma and the stars' help with luck so may be an idea to change your name, hey i beleive it and if you beleive it will happen x
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport