We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Luck-lack of it, and getting it

Options

Comments

• judy2357
    judy2357 Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try this comp, theres loads of prizes so might get you kickstarted.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3684457

Just a little bit of advice,there are many comps where you have to register then log in, its hard to explain this but if you click an answer for instance a, b or c and then it says log in/register you then after registering or logging in need to go back and select your option again otherwise you wont be entered. Sorry if Im not explaining myself too well.
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

• purplebutterfly
    Options
    Well my big moan hasn't yielded any positive results so far..............................one win in three months is shocking! :eek:
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and comments, everyone! If I come up with something else I think I will change my username, why the heck not! Been entering more than ever the last few days, I keep meaning to count how many and forgetting. Do WEMs etc generally get sent over weekends, or do the companies/those running comps tend to wait until the week starts again?
    Well my big moan hasn't yielded any positive results so far..............................one win in three months is shocking! :eek:
    What would you call my (not so) winning streak then? :p

It's certainly ended up being something to do when I have trouble sleeping, if nothing else :)
  • purplebutterfly
    purplebutterfly Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2012 at 2:08AM
    Options
    Pechow wrote: »

What would you call my (not so) winning streak then? :p

I don't think the MSE anti-swearing filter will allow me to say! ;) :rotfl:

I do think some people must enter every comp in their name, their partner's name, their mum's/dad's/cat's/goldfish's name though.

Even looking at it objectively, it seems statistically unlikely that people could win large amounts every single month and never have a dry spell, whilst entering with only one email and only via MSE. I don't mean just lots of DVDs each month but regular holidays and cash/voucher prizes. Mind you, there are plenty of paid-for comping sites out there that offer a "helping hand" to adjust the odds :undecided

Best thing to do is to think about lovely things like baby binturongs and sneezing pandas instead :D OR find an enchanted ring/lamp/mirror...............whichever is easiest p040.gif
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2012 at 4:35PM
    Options
    So when comps say "one entry per household", or whatever, do people generally just ignore that and do multiple entries with different email addresses or phone numbers anyway?

Do people use fake names? What if they want to confirm your identity and the name doesn't match?

I don't use Roboform (the autofill when you double click a box in Firefox is enough for me) but is it that much faster/better to use? I don't have the energy to try and cheat a bit by using many identities and emails. :P

Edit: Regarding changing the username, I had a look:
    In most circumstances, this is not permitted.
    The only reason we will change your username is if it puts your privacy at risk. This usually means you've inadvertently registered using your name, email address or something that gives away your identity within your username.
    If you fall into this category, email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] and request that it is changed, giving three alternative usernames in order of preference.

So looks like I can't do it!
  • vanpopple
    vanpopple Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2012 at 5:12PM
    Options
    Pechow wrote: »
    So when comps say "one entry per household", or whatever, do people generally just ignore that and do multiple entries with different email addresses or phone numbers anyway?

Do people use fake names? What if they want to confirm your identity and the name doesn't match?

I 100% agree with you here, there a lots of people on here, who are winning EVERY SINGLE WEEK, and not just chocolate etc,
    This is why THE DARK SIDE OF COMPING is being bandied about so much lately, i wont mention anymore names but start looking at what people have won, surely theres more to it, and I also think its totally unfair, and is paramount to CHEATING.
    Maybe the mse board should look into it more?
    I dont know what they could do though, or maybe if you do notice the same person keep winning big prizes we should start a big thread on here???

Who knows but all us people who do as we are told (just enter a comp once) surely got to win eventually, if you do notice alot alot alot of people with MSE in their name win???????
    THE DARK SIDE IS SPEAKING I FEAR
    Its big business $$$$$$ and we all know the lengths some people will got to.
    But to all those who feell they play fair best of luck to us all for 2012 xxx :T

AND AS FOR YOUR USERNAME, just set up a new MSE account simple.
    also use ROBOFORM 1000000% seriously you are definately at a disadvantage if you dont, for example, i can quite easily do 50 comps in less than an hour (based on just form filling), its just go to page hit your button and voila (occasionally you may have to adjust things as some forms are laid out different)
    I could get you a link to the version i use just pm me.
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • purplebutterfly
    purplebutterfly Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    vanpopple wrote: »
    if you do notice alot alot alot of people with MSE in their name win???????

If you mean on Facebook/Twitter etc, people usually put MSE in their names to make them identifiable to other MSE compers who may only know them by their forum names. It makes it a lot easier to accept friend invitations from people who would otherwise be "strangers".

Plus, it makes it easier to get a message to winners if you see their name has MSE in it, as it is bound to be either a friend or a friend-of-a-friend.

I wouldn't read too much into it hun, there's no conspiracy, it's just a recognition system.
  • remi411
    remi411 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya I'm quite new too comping and I know these questions are some what off topic but what exactly is robo-form and where do you get it if you want it???
    Also I have joined twitter for the comps but I have no clue I mean Fb has been going years and I love it so I have no trouble with it! However twitter seems very alien! What is !!!!!! and is it right you can't re-tweet someone else's comp tweet or you get disqualified from the comp??
  • Treacle1983
    Treacle1983 Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    remi411 wrote: »
    Hiya I'm quite new too comping and I know these questions are some what off topic but what exactly is robo-form and where do you get it if you want it???
    Also I have joined twitter for the comps but I have no clue I mean Fb has been going years and I love it so I have no trouble with it! However twitter seems very alien! What is !!!!!! and is it right you can't re-tweet someone else's comp tweet or you get disqualified from the comp??

#FF - also know as follow friday
    Normal tweeters use this just as a way of saying follow this person - theres an app you can use http://followfridayhelper.com/ which you log into and it will show who's mentioned you/spoken to you recently etc..

For comping - #FF is sometimes requested as part of a competition entry
    The most obvious one that springs to mind is @FoxyBingo who do a regular comp on fridays and to enter you just reply to them with #FF and #FoxyFriday

so the complete tweet if you wanted to freehand it or check you had done it correctly would be

#FF @FoxyBingo #FoxyFriday

You can put them in any order really - dosen't matter

RETWEETING:

For a basic RT and Follow competition you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Copy and paste and entry - for instance if you have seen the comp on someone else twitter and can't find the original or if the competition is running a while and you want to do another entry.

Copy and paste the entire tweet wording making sure to catch and #tags and links.

When you paste you ight need to add the letters RT to the front

When done correctly it should look like:

RT @CompanyName tweet inc and #tags and links

If you find a tweet is too long you can edit out bits and shorten it just make sure you keep those #tags and links

2) Find the original tweet for the competition - easy to spot these as they will have the @Company name and profile piccy at the beginning.
    Sometimes you will need to hunt through their timeline for them

Then press the RETWEET button - simples :-)

With @competitionclub - the page I run - I RT all the original competition tweets - so you can actually press RETWEET on the posts on our tieline to enter them - just ake sure you are also following the companies too.
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
  • Treacle1983
    Treacle1983 Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Vanpopple

The other thread probably got removed because it was a petition type thread against one of the main forum rules

At the end of the day - MSE has to try and protect it's users and not letting people swap/give things and give personal info to each other is understandable as it is such a huge forum - as well meaning as things started out if they agreed to your changes - people would turn up quite soon and start to take advantage.

There will always be those who cheat to enter competitions - and yes that is a bug bear all honest compers have to put up with - without 100% proof there is nothing much you can do apart from quietly asking the promoters to look into it.

There has been a lot of witch-hunting/ accusing going on quite publically - especially on twitter and facebook with people naming and shaming and supposedly outing cheaters - I am very much against this and have quite often seen genuine and very honest comping friends put in the line of fire and targeted like this when they have a few nice wins in a small space of time

In my opinion there are plenty of other competitions out there - if I don't win one I'm just polite to whoever won - say congrats and move on to another one.

FREE SPEECH is allowed on MSE but witch-hunting and publically intimidating others and harrassing them is not - there were quite a few comments on the removed thread which were wanting to do just that.
    That again is another main rule on MSE not to post any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous posts
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport