We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How do I handle this
    Answered on your duplicate post..
  • Not sure if this has already been discussed.... Called Capital One about an hour ago regarding a PPI claim I made via their online complaints form over 2 months ago. I was told they have no record of my claim and they are no longer accepting claims made via their online form... :mad:

I advised the call handler that I took screenshots at every stage of their form (I actually did) and would be happy to pop them over via email. Was then put on hold for about three minutes...

Handler came back on the line to apologise and 'start my claim afresh', promising a call from a manager within 3 working days and a postal response to my claim within 5 working days..... lets see...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 August 2019 at 6:01PM
    Options
    I have been lookin at this again and i am so confused about fiannce services i shpould be checkin for ppi over what period
    earlier in this thread one of the knowlegable people said
    PPI only became widespread in the 1990's. Other than that, a complaint can be made about any PPI where records still exist. The older the PPI, the less chance of there being any records. There is also the not insignificant matter of general insurance sales not being regulated prior to 2005. Only banks were regulated prior to this date and so most other insurance sellers can simply reject a pre 2005 PPI complaint without considering it.
    and there was fllow up of
    Banks and building societies stopped selling PPI between 2008 and 2012. Some early. Some late.

so what is proper picture here? i think i know now that it is is just morgages an loans i should be looking at but over what period
    is it loans and morgtages taken out between 2005 and 2012? so the ppi i had on my mortgage in 2000 which they wouldnt let me claim on in 2004 doesnt count? mortge was from alliance n lecester who are now Seantander

youve already told me my loan for motor bike in 1983 is too old so dosnt count
    had mortgages from atleast 4 diferent lenders on 2 houses between 1985 and 2000 but they are to old too from the above
    loads of diffrent credit cards over years but since 2005 never paid any intrest so assuming none of that counts

so none of this applies to me is that right?
  • cadburysgirl
    Options
    Sorry it took me a while to figure out how this works! :0/

Thank you for your replies. I thought as much but thought it best to check again before the deadline!

Thanks also for the link to the other thread - I was searching for something like this but couldn't get anything to come up.

I'm a newbie! :0)
  • Gonna-be-debt-free
    Options
    Dinard wrote: »
    I have been lookin at this again and i am so confused about fiannce services i shpould be checkin for ppi over what period

so what is proper picture here? i think i know now that it is is just morgages an loans i should be looking at but over what period
    is it loans and morgtages taken out between 2005 and 2012? so the ppi i had on my mortgage in 2000 which they wouldnt let me claim on in 2004 doesnt count? mortge was from alliance n lecester who are now Seantander

had mortgages from atleast 4 diferent lenders on 2 houses between 1985 and 2000 but they are to old too from the above
    loads of diffrent credit cards over years but since 2005 never paid any intrest so assuming none of that counts

Only you can decide if it is worth the effort - but I have found the "Successes and Failures" thread quite inspirational - and can see a lot of successes referring to things that were taken out back to the 1990s.

I know that people saying "don't bother" are just trying to be helpful, but for me personally I have decided it is worth the half hour of my time to check with the lender themselves.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dinard wrote: »

Just put your complaints in, what's the worst they can do? Say sorry no records? If you have enough info you might be ok.

I know mortgages are very difficult as they did have rules ie no policy no mortgage,.

Pre 01/04/93 is 15% statutory interest according to the letter I've received
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 August 2019 at 5:30PM
    Options
    thank youboth but trying to undserstand it all and make sence of the contradictionary advice and all the sneers from many posters is just making me unhappy so best idea is nock it on head and give up i think

for example elsewhere here someone has writen that before 2005 is too early for a ppi claim because no regulations until then

thank yoyu nagain but i have had enough i mthink
    too many people wanti ng to show how clever they are for knowing it all but not wanting others to know it so they just make clever comments to sneers at us
    not you two i mean of course but others who waid in

i expect though it will be like bulls eye and after dead line some one will say this is what you coulkd of won lol
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 August 2019 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Some companies were regulated prior to 2005 some were not. Usually banks and building societies were, brokers, loan companies like ocean finance, car delaers were not. Store cards may or may not be depending who had or has liability.

Ppi on credit cards was only charged on a month with an outstanding balance so if you paid in full every month you wouldn't have paid any ppi.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Little_miss_dfw
    Options
    Just wondering, how do you get the ppi badge please?
    “I knew who i was this morning, but I’ve changed a few times since then” 
    lewis caroll

”there’s a story at the bottom of this bottle and I’m the pen”
    ATL
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    can I see if I had PPI on mortgages from 1982 & 1988 ?
    remember being asked in the interview for a mortgage with Leeds Permanent BS in 1982 "do you illness insurance" "NO, I get full pay for 6 months + 1/2 or 1/4 for the next 18 months"
    can't remember being asked in 1988
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure