PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AJGarn wrote: »
    So my questions are, how should I proceed? Via the Ombudsman or by contacting each bank directly? Can I go any further with Resolver? Is getting no response normal?
    Time is now very very short.

Forget about Resolver and contact the Banks directly to establish whether your complaints have been received. If not, you'll have to complain again, but not via Resolver. Go to the Bank's own website and fill in their online form..

Note that the Banks have eight weeks from acknowledging any complaint in which to consider your complaint. So the Banks which responded in July are still well within that period and you do not have access to the Ombudsman.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    cadyh wrote: »
    I have rejected the Ombudsman's decision but what do I do now?
    Since the Ombudsman is the final arbiter of disputes between financial institutions and their customers, how have you "rejected" the Ombudsman? Or do you mean you've appealed the initial decision and asked for an actual Ombudsman to take a final look at your case?

You should realise that Ombudsmen do not often overturn the initial decision in basic PPI complaints and that you are therefore now unlikely to have any success in this endeavour.

If, however, the Ombudsman has already ruled on your case, this means you have exhausted the regulatory complaints process and that your complaint is at an end. You can "reject" this decision if you want, but that won't net you a refund.

The only other realistic option is costly court proceedings against the Bank which you are very unlikely to win.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the imposed cut-off date legal?

Yes. The FCA has the power to set the cut off dates. The courts confirmed back in 2011 that it has the power to set the rules when the banks contested the FCA retrospectively applying rules that did not exist at the time. The court ruled the regulator had the powers to set the rules.
    I saw a report on the BBC news by a lady from the FCA who stated the date was imposed because of PUBLIC PRESSURE!! I do not believe a word of that.

Most people in the UK were not missold PPI. Most people in the UK are sick and tired of the PPI issue. However, the reality is that the banks want it closed as much as the public do.
    We are being duped.

Not really as the FCA already have the 3/6 year time bar rules. Those could be used by the FCA saying that enough people already know about the PPI issue. The FCA decided that having a deadline would focus people into making complaints who hadn't. And to be fair, it worked.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    artkintsa wrote: »
    I have a short, quick question. Is the imposed cut-off date legal?
    Since complaints about PPI miss-selling has always been a regulatory issue rather than a legal one, your question is irrelevant. The regulator has made a regulatory decision to end PPI complaints, the courts have already ruled that the FCA can set such rules.
    We are being duped
    In what way? I had my PPI payments refunded to me in 2012 and I was by no means an early complainer. People complaining now are very much the stragglers.

Feel free to take the FCA to court if you wish... :)
  • kjethwa
    Options
    SonOf wrote: »
    Dont use resolver. Resolver is built to handle personal complaints. It is not built to handle complaints being made by the executor (i.e. a third party). Complain direct to the seller and remember to include a death certificate and copy of probate (if obtained).

Should i use the forms/letter provided on the MSE website?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    kjethwa wrote: »
    No, because they are templates designed for personal complaints. The complaint reasons contained therein are often not applicable to third party complaints. You can only make a very factual complaint and cannot, for example, complain about anything which might have been said at point-of-sale as you were not there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kjethwa wrote: »

No. Go direct to the lender in question.
  • londonsky2
    Options
    Hello people
    I have successfully reclaimed PPI from HSBC
    they asked me to send the acceptance letter and some Identification documents, Which I provided to the bank, the lady scanned the documents and the acceptance letter saying its quicker and I don't need to send any thing back
    Has anybody experienced this
    Or am I just panicking in vain
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, people have been asked for ID.

It does sound like you're panicking.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2019 at 4:50PM
    Options
    I have a short, quick question. Is the imposed cut-off date legal? I saw a report on the BBC news by a lady from the FCA who stated the date was imposed because of PUBLIC PRESSURE!! I do not believe a word of that. We are being duped.
    The date should have been much earlier but was extended to August 2019,
    DUE TO PUBLIC PRESSURE.

What she said appears to be correct, think you've misunderstood . .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback