PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

smoothie / smoothies recipes

Options

Comments

• deary65
    deary65 Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a site i can go to and find recipes for smoothies. Thanks.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi deary,

There are lots of recipes on these sites:

Happyjuicer

Smoothie recipes

Pink
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    deary65 wrote:
    Is there a site i can go to and find recipes for smoothies. Thanks.

As a general rule, throw any odd bits of fruit into it, add a splash of plain yogurt, and it nearly always turns out great.

Just stay away from any involving lettuce! Blecch. (Why isn't there a puke smiley on here?)
  • nic82
    nic82 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

BF and I have just invested in a blender to make smoothies (amongst other things). We would both like to have a smoothie in the mornings before going to work but don't really have the time to stand and chop the fruit each morning (BF starts work at 7:30am).

I know you can get "freezer packs" of fruit for smoothies from Tesco but it's obviously cheaper to chop our own fruit. Would it work out OK if we made up our own freezer packs? e.g. peel and chop banana, melon, mango, etc and then freeze?

My thinking was that all we'd need to do each morning would be to get a pack out of the freezer and empty it into the blender. Or, perhaps, let the fruit defrost overnight in the fridge (so the smoothie won't be quite as cold to drink on these chilly mornings!). I guess it won't matter that the fruit will go mushy as it defrosts as it's all going to be blended anyway.

Thank you :)
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    The thing is with defrosting fruit overnight or preparing it in advance is that you lose some of the beneficial enzymes and vitamins. Fruit should be peeled and consumed within 15-20 mins to get the maximum benefits from it.

Banana takes 3-4 seconds to peel. You don't need to chop it for a smoothie. Break it in half. I don't think melon works in a smoothie with banana especially as it's flavour is so subtle, you're better off eating it on its own. Mango does take about 30 seconds - 1 minute to slice a piece off and skin.

Personally, I'd recommend setting the alarm an extra 2 minutes early in order to have your fruit smoothies freshly made. :)
    TL
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes :) This works really well and is way cheaper than those ready-prepared bags.

Mango, banana, berries, pineapple should work well. If you have a farmshop nearby they sometimes sell frozen chopped fruit and berries loose. You scoop and bag yourself. I'm not sure whether they'd work out cheaper than buying fresh, but certainly cheaper than those ready-prepared bags ;)

Should say don't defrost first, just whizz from frozen. Works a treat.
  • sainthalo
    Options
    once squeezed or cut fruit begins to denature and sugar. you have fifteen minutes
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mmmm i have some pears and pineapple I might chuck in my juicer tomorrow morning come to think of it :) and some organic satsumas - yummy!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My daughter made us a lovely smoothie the other morning using a banana, some frozen raspberries and a splash of cranberry juice and some live natural yogurt, it was delicious. How about using half and half, fresh fruit and frozen berries? Will save a little bit of time.
    Sue
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just bought a smoothie maker. Are there any thread with recipe's on. Can't seem to find any. Or any good recipe's that you have please.
    Thanks.
    Emily.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport