PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

smoothie / smoothies recipes

Options

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm, it's something to do with the enzymes I think.... must explore further!

I often make smoothies with yoghurt and bring them to work for lunch and they're fine. But with pure juice (which I do in the juicer) it goes off very quickly somehow.....
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.discountjuicers.com/storingjuices.html

Here's an explanation about straight juice.....
  • LydiaSophia
    Options
    I think once the air gets to the fruit it just sort of turns - I made a smoothie the other night and even though I put it in a glass in the fridge and covered with cling film it look foul the next day! Made myself drink it though. Yuk yuk yuk!
    Lydia

:T :beer:
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    I *ehem* bought an Innocent Detox Smoothie today at work - which had an ingredient called 'acai' berries in it - meant to be a new wonder food, great for detoxing. Can't say it tasted that nice - or maybe that was the pomegranites? :confused:
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    In the following link, it not only provides a recipe, but guidance on the way to prepare in advance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/breakfastsmoothies_83782.shtml

Hope that helps!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Most fruits will maintain most of their vitamins for about 5 days as long as they are refrigerated. Cut vegetables may maintain their nutrients for more than a week.

Juicing versus eating whole foods

As you are talking about smoothies rather than fruit juice I think the vitamin loss will be minimal given overnight storage in the fridge.

If you haven't time in the morning for faffing about making smoothies the choice is between ensuring fruit/veg is in the packup, which may be best (but there's no guarantee it will be consumed) or a smoothie which is more likely to be consumed and will contain probably more than one official serving of fruit, so on balance I think the smoothie made the night before will in total contain more vitamins/fibre than would be obtained by putting in some prepared fruit.

You could always do both smoothie and fresh fruit.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • DebtphobicDeirdre
    Options
    I think smoothies are fantastic. I make mine from frozen fruit which is ready cut/prepared and makes life a bit easie, if it is cold I zap it in the miccrowave for a bit -will that damage the vitamin content?
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can :hello:
  • magentacafc
    Options
    Thanks everyone :wave:

I think on balance I may be as well to do myself a smoothie the evening before, as otherwise I end up going to the sandwich van and spending about £5 on junk I don't want such as pies and crisps and crappy sandwiches, so a smoothie even with a few of the vitamins beginning to disappear is more healthy than that!
  • nat198o
    Options
    fruit and veg start to lose there nutritional value as soon as they are picked so weither you do it the night before or first thing in the morning it's really doesn't make that much difference if you go for frozen it needs to be flash frozen which keeps max nutritional value used to work for a juice bar hope that help
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    I know lemon juice stops fruit from discolouring so if you put a bit in I'm sure this would help to stop it turning brown.

The squeezable honey has lemon juice in it to help it come out easier so adding this would sweeten and help fruit from not going brown... I used it like this once and it seemed to do the trick that time.:)
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport