We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    furballmad wrote: »
    Hi back again. I was furball but knocked laptop on floor yesterday and broke it. New hard drive later and lost all paswords so had to re register. So now furballmad:mad: Back on topic i dont have any useable windowsills thanks to cats and kids so is there anything i can plant outside now. Thankyou

Sorry fur, I did chuckle. I bet you only did that because I said furball couldn't join my thread. :rotfl:

Whereabouts are you? How cold is it? There's bound to be something you can plant. I'm thinking about onions, leeks, peas, cauliflower and turnips at the moment - I'm sure I could have started some of these indoors by now. :o

Edit: Oh, West Yorkshire I see. Well, just ask Little Vics what she's planted, as she's just round the corner from you. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • furballmad
    furballmad Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    You'll chuckle even more when i tell you i knocked it off the settee arm with my bum. Now thats got u thinking . Actually nothing exciting i was reaching over the settee to sort a plug extension out.. Right off to find Little Vics posts. oh and it's fine here so might even get to open a packet of seeds and actually plant something, oh the excitement.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. – Hilary Cooper
    Was furball, now finally gone mad, furballmad
    I have chooks :D I am owned by 3 cat's;)
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 10 March 2012 at 12:14AM
    Options
    A quick de-lurk to say that I'm in West Yorkshire too - and today we seem to have sun:j:j:j I've been planting lots but lurking - my usual plating date is St Georges Day (23rd April!!!!) so you can see I'm really trying hard:D

I do have a question though; last year I had tomato plants which did produce, although late in the year.....but the toms all tasted a bit mushy IYKWIM. Is that a result of late planting do you know? They were different varieties, so not a bad lot of one type.

This year I've got all sorts on the go, gotta dash as one of the dogs ripped all my bulb packets open, I think that may be a hint that they should have been planted last autumn:o
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hey up MrBE!:wave: John! Fellow growers.

I have done NOTHING yet... but I have been incapacitated for a while.
    Hope to plant seeds this weekend. Planning on growing:
    tomatoes
    lettuce
    cucumber
    peas (they failed last year!)
    beetroot
    carrots (did well last year, harvested early october, washed them & froze them instantly. Got them out for christmas dinner & when I defrosted them they were just water - I could physically wring them out!:eek: What had I done wrong?)
    peppers
    onions (mainly to keep carrot fly away).

Still got a freezer full of beans, so passing on them.
    If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to ideas for anything else to grow!:)

PS MrBE - been offline for several weeks. Wanna summarise the thread to date? Or you gonna make me go back & read it all!:p
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • kazire
    kazire Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought 2 gooseberry bushes already have one and 3 tayberry canes onions and potatoes now gotta find some time to sort them out! Hope everyone elses plans r going well
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    Yorkshire peeps - I started a thread about gardening in Yorkshire. Have a hunt and you'll find it.

My plan is to copy what these people do - http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/ -they are close to me so I figure they'll know what they are doing.

MBE - photos?! I've lost my password to flickr and can't reset it, so I'll open a new account just for you. I might even take some photos too.

I WILL do some gardening this weekend. I WILL. After I've watched the rugby.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    sashanut wrote: »

I do have a question though; last year I had tomato plants which did produce, although late in the year.....but the toms all tasted a bit mushy IYKWIM. Is that a result of late planting do you know? They were different varieties, so not a bad lot of one type.

Seems like something to do with the conditions if they were all like it. How late in the year did they fruit? When did you sow them?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    Hey up MrBE!:wave: John! Fellow growers.

About time too! :mad:
    Got them out for christmas dinner & when I defrosted them they were just water - I could physically wring them out!:eek: What had I done wrong?)

Maybe should have blanched them first, although I don't bother. I do slice them though, so I can just chuck them in a stew.
    Still got a freezer full of beans, so passing on them.
    If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to ideas for anything else to grow!:)

Tip: you should eat them in the off-season. ;)I am a bit guilty of this with gooseberries. :o
    PS MrBE - been offline for several weeks. Wanna summarise the thread to date? Or you gonna make me go back & read it all!:p

Unless you've got a note from your mum explaining why you are quite so late, no! You'll have to catch up as best you can. I can't be holding the rest of the class up while we all wait for you! :p
  • mrbadexample
    Options

MBE - photos?! I've lost my password to flickr and can't reset it, so I'll open a new account just for you. I might even take some photos too.

Try Photobucket. I haven't used flickr, but I do know Photobucket is nice and simple. ;)
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    What should I do with these onions?

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3278.jpg

I didn't use them or lift them last year, and now they're growing again. Will they just run to seed?

I'll have to move them, as they're in the way. But I don't know whether to throw or replant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure