We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    Come on, MrBE, If you haven't used them yet, you're not going to, are you? Dig 'em up, chuck on the compost, and don't grow so many this year! :p

I would have used them if I'd got round to lifting them, honest! I need to grow more, but get them in in good time. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would have used them if I'd got round to lifting them, honest! :p

And flying pigs make good bacon if you can catch them! :p :rotfl:
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • Aria`s_Tail
    Aria`s_Tail Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    OK, just been a bit naughty, been on the T&M website and ordered some yellow raspberries!
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Tonight I've sown (in modules):

Beetroot Pronto, Globe II, Wodan and Burpees Golden
    Kohl Rabi Purple Vienna,
    Cauliflower All Year Round
    and some purple topped turnips.

Need to do quite a bit more tomorrow.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • emiff6
    First Post
    Options
    OK, just been a bit naughty, been on the T&M website and ordered some yellow raspberries!

Snap! I've just ordered some Joan J. (and some sweet cicely seeds which I reckon might do all right in my north facing garden as they like a bit of shade).
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisakay wrote: »
    I would get rid of the onions, MrBE. Unless you specifically want to have a go at saving some seed.
    I'm all excited today, squids are going to my mums while I crack on at the allotment for a few hours:j.

The plan is to finish moving the compost and level the ground and move the paving from by the shed. Oh and get a few seeds sown too. I sowed all my purple carrots at home the other night, in loo roll tubes so i can plant them out in a few weeks. also got basil coming up, I love the first seedlings of the year, they hold so much promise!!
    As soon as you see a shoot from the first carrot, get them all out, even then it might be too late, they need sowing in the ground really.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • emiff6
    First Post
    Options
    Today I turned these - (3 lavender plants for £6)

lavendermarch2012-1.jpg

into these - (3 lavender plants and 45 cuttings for £6 plus £2 worth of compost) :D

lavendercuttingsmarch2012-1.jpg
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    That's ace. Is it a good time to be taking cuttings then? My lavender looks really sad (probably because it's in Walsall instead of Provence), but is still quite small. I'd like to take some cuttings to generate a few more plants.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I've had a busy morning too. Beautiful day here. Haven't time to write much until later, after the rugby.

But the spuds looked ready:

DSCF3282.jpg

So I thought I'd get them in. First I needed this:

DSCF3283.jpg

barrowing round the back. That meant I had to move the blocks that were in the way down to the greenhouse, ready for where and when I need them:

DSCF3280.jpg
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Dug the trench:

DSCF3284.jpg

Filled with the well-rotted manure and pushed the spuds in, chits upwards of course:

DSCF32812.jpg

Earthed up:

DSCF3287.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport