We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I've sown my marigolds. I am looking forward to having a rubber-glove tree. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I have also taken photos for you all to laugh at. Go me.

I've got a quince tree and damson tree coming - any idea on where would be best to put them?

No chance of being laughed at, what a beautiful garden you have and the quality of your pics is just fine. Mine is a boring rectangle with boring low fences and narrow, and the shadiest south facing garden you will ever see due to neighbours large sycamore trees, one on the left and the other on the right :mad:

I have a small damson, which gets lots of sun till 11am then none till 12.30 for an hour then dappled shade till 4pm then thats it till morning and its on London clay soil, which they are not supposed to like but it must be happy as gives me lots of damsons.
    It does get some home made compost but only because it's next to the bin and I tip it out 3 times a year.

A quick google found this re quince:
    Quinces grow and fruit readily in Southern England and succeeds as far north as Yorkshire with a sunny sheltered site. Almost any soil is suitable (a deep moist fertile loam is ideal), but shelter and sun are important; very alkaline soils usually cause chlorosis. Trees do tolerate quite deep shade but are unlikely to crop there.
    taken from here: http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/ansample.html

wish I could do fancy links:o
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

DSCF3287.jpg

That's worse than last year, looks like 4 little bodies:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Re: your pond, don't forget to plan now what you're going to do with the extra soil. It's amazing how it expands when you dig a pond.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    I tried drilling holes into my newly cut log and it was like trying to drill into an RSJ! After about half an inch the holes started to seriously smoke with the friction. :eek: Maybe I need to let it season and dry out? Meantime I'll have a walk round the fields and gather some dried hollow stems (cow parsley perhaps?) for this year, and pack them in a plantpot.
    More like you need a sharper drill bit :p
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    More like you need a sharper drill bit :p

I tried all six of my wood drill bits, three of which I seldom use, so they are sharp, and still couldn't get further than 2cm into the wood. :( I also tried a steel drilling bit, but that didn't work either. :(

Can you get diamond tipped drills for home use? :cool::)
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    I tried all six of my wood drill bits, three of which I seldom use, so they are sharp, and still couldn't get further than 2cm into the wood. :( I also tried a steel drilling bit, but that didn't work either. :(

Can you get diamond tipped drills for home use? :cool::)
    Unless you're drilling into the hardest wood I've ever come across, then something is going wrong. Still sounds like drill bits to me. Or maybe you're drilling too fast.

The wood will only get harder the longer you leave it btw.

If you were a bit closer, I'd say come round and I'd sort you out.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Is your drill turning the right way? [Don't laugh - my students do this all the time, make it go backwards to get it out of holes then forget to switch it back again].
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • kazire
    kazire Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only sowed my marigolds 3 days ago but they already peaking thru yay :)
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should move my peppers ungerminated in their tray into the baby's bedroom as its 21' in there and only 15' in the kitchen where they are on the windowsill.Although the baby's bedroom temp drops to about 11' in the early hours of the morning,but the kitchen goes down to 12' so not much better.
    Would moving them to the bedroom be better even though the temps fall or leave where they are?

The baby is well wrapped up on a night and not cold before someone is about to shoot me down as a bad mother.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd move them. If you are serious about growing, I would also consider buying a heated propagator, my house is as cold as yours and I had all kinds of problems and lengthy germination times before I got one.
    Now I have almost instant germination.

Peppers are one of the worst btw.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure