We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    It's probably a bit tight for four seed potatoes in each row, but there should be plenty of nutrients (one barrowload of manure per row) so it'll probably be all right.

Last year I sowed radishes on top, as per Monty Don's instructions. This didn't work very well as the spuds came through before they were ready and I ended up trying to transplant them. This time I've tried again, but I've only sown a few, about a third of the way up the sunny (left) side of the mound. Vienna F1, Scarlet Globe and some home-saved ones from last year. At the edge of the row nearest the path I've sown some purple-topped turnips. They're pretty fast growing so should hopefully be eaten before they're overshadowed. :)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    I have done gardening. Go me. I have weeded and given dandelions to our neighbours chickens. They love them.

I have also taken photos for you all to laugh at. Go me.

The veg patch - it's about 5m x 3m at the top end. South facing, and the tree that's overhanging is coming down next weekend. You wouldn't think such a small space could cause so much angst and torture.
    th_IMG_0145.jpg

The rest of the patch. Doesn't look much, but there are all kinds of things underground - bluebells, peonies, crocuses, marigolds, and lots and lots of strawberries.

th_IMG_0141.jpg

If you click on them, it'll take you to the full album (I think).

I've got a quince tree and damson tree coming - any idea on where would be best to put them? I also am keen to put some kind of cold frame or polytunnel somewhere so I reclaim my kitchen windowsill from the pepper-triffid and firey-chilli.

xLV
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

Earthed up:

DSCF3287.jpg

Blimey, looks like you've buried 4 bodies MBE! :eek:
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • emiff6
    First Post
    Options
    Little Vics - great pics! I'd be amazed if you don't have mice living in among all that stone walling and undergrowth, which is probably why you haven't been able to grow sweetcorn/peas/beetroot etc - they are being nibbled off! Or else eaten by the snails that are also probably treating the wall (and especially the ivy) as home from home!

I used to have ivy growing up my brick shed wall, and when I cut it down there were 33 HUGE snails under it (and that's one wall of a 6 x 8 shed). I couldn't believe it:eek: but after I got rid, my seedling germination rate rose dramatically ;)
  • emiff6
    First Post
    edited 11 March 2012 at 4:46PM
    Options
    That's ace. Is it a good time to be taking cuttings then? My lavender looks really sad (probably because it's in Walsall instead of Provence), but is still quite small. I'd like to take some cuttings to generate a few more plants.

Yes, spring's a good time, before it flowers, but you can do it in autumn too. Tells you how here . I used John Innes no. 1 mixed with vermiculite to open up the texture of the soil and make it more free draining.

If you lavender is a bit sickly it might be kinder to leave it alone and buy another just to take cuttings from. Got mine from Asda - £2 each in 6" pots was too good to pass up and they were very healthy and bushy.

edit: that website says take off the bottom two leaves. Mine were leafy all the way down - I stripped off leaves to leave an inch of bare stem.
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    ooh, mice! Never thought of that. We have lots of slugs and migrating frogs (which sadly never hang around to eat the slugs), and a few snails. I'll speak to the neighbours who own the bit behind us to see if I can hack away.

I do live in a beautiful spot - I'm very lucky.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Lets not start that again....... :rotfl:
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »

:shhh: I've got previous.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Now then, where did I get to before I had to rush off and enjoy the glorious, glorious rugby? :D

<humming> Swing low, sweet chariot...

Oh yes, potatoes. I've put in 8 Pentland Javelin and 8 Picasso. I've also got 4 tubs full of earth that was too much for the beds once the manure had gone in. I'll probably use a couple for radishes & spring onions, perhaps a bit of beetroot, and some out the front in the weed-filled border. I've actually been considering digging out the rubbish that's there, and replacing it with good soil, then growing red, white and blue flowers for the [STRIKE]jubilee[/STRIKE] bees :o, inspired by this thread. To that end I sowed a tray of alyssum yesterday.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    :shhh: I've got previous.

Yeeeeeees. You have. :naughty:

Some of us still haven't forgiven you. :eek:
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure