We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I checked the rhubarb:

DSCF3288.jpg

Although it's coming on nicely, there are a couple of problems. The condensation in the bin from the plant transpiring is creating an ideal environment for mould. And snails. I've de-snailed, scattered a few slug pellets, given it an hour or two to breath some fresh air, removed a couple of rotting stalks, and put the bin back on.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I inspected the bee log which, as previously mentioned, needs the holes cleaning out and making smooth. And soon. I've remounted the shelter it goes in, just to make more space in the shed.

DSCF3291.jpg
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I inspected the bee log which, as previously mentioned, needs the holes cleaning out and making smooth. And soon. I've remounted the shelter it goes in, just to make more space in the shed

I tried drilling holes into my newly cut log and it was like trying to drill into an RSJ! After about half an inch the holes started to seriously smoke with the friction. :eek: Maybe I need to let it season and dry out? Meantime I'll have a walk round the fields and gather some dried hollow stems (cow parsley perhaps?) for this year, and pack them in a plantpot.
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    My pear [STRIKE]tree[/STRIKE] stick is showing signs of life:

DSCF3286.jpg

I think this needs eating:

DSCF3289.jpg

So cauliflower cheese sometime this week. :drool:

I sowed a few competition carrots, and dropped the packet of seed on the grass. :doh: Whilst I was on my hands and knees picking the seed out of the grass with tweezers, I discovered a bug previously unknown to science:

Bug2-1.jpg

It's only about 1mm long.

My gooseberry bushes are showing green. I cleaned out the chimenea and gave each one a good shovelful of ashes. I also swept out the side entrance just to keep things tidy.

I feel pretty happy. Today really made me realise how much I've missed gardening over the winter. And then of course, there was that glorious, glorious rugby.

<still humming> ...coming for to carry me home...

:j
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I have done gardening. Go me.

I have also taken photos for you all to laugh at. Go me.

Go you! :T

Your garden looks great. It's got something that's missing from mine, that I'll be hard pushed to grow - character! Love the old walls etc.

Mine's just a rectangle. With a rectangular shed, a rectangular greenhouse and rectangles cut out of it for vegetables. :(
    :think: A pond that's not rectangular should help... :D

Have you got the hang of the photo thing now then? :D
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    If you lavender is a bit sickly it might be kinder to leave it alone

Thanks for the info. It's not so much sickly as scruffy really, and since I only want a couple more I'll chance it. ;)
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    <still humming> ...coming for to carry me home...
    :j

Surprising how just two points is enough to make an Englishman happy.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Supose Wales struggled really but still won by 21points. Ummmmm, can't seem to remember how many points England beat Italy by, was it 3 or 4 maybe. :D
  • Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    I'm holding out for a Welsh grand slam. I will grow leeks in celebration.

My garden/house is lovely and full of character - that's Yorkshire for you. BUT that doesn't mean I can grow things.

Help me out with the location of the damson and quince??
  • mrbadexample
    Options

Help me out with the location of the damson and quince??

I can't. I've never grown either. :p
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Surprising how just two points is enough to make an Englishman happy.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Supose Wales struggled really but still won by 21points. Ummmmm, can't seem to remember how many points England beat Italy by, was it 3 or 4 maybe. :D

Was that our shiny new England team that had only played one previous match together?

I'm betting that a ONE point victory for you next week would make you very happy indeed. ;)

With a bit of luck, you'll get the backlash...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure