We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    That's the answer. With wood you need to drill slowly,
    1 To allow the drill to "bite" into the wood, and
    2 To stop the drill from just overheating and trying to burn its way through.
    Most important the drill needs to be really sharp.

I'll have another go next weekend, then, but for now I've collected a bunch of hollow stems and wedged them into a heavyweight cardboard tube that I've blocked at one end and wrapped in polythene for waterproofing, to make a bee hotel.

I've hung it on the pergola, up which I intend to grow either runner beans or summer squash.
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    Options
    kazire wrote: »
    Haha after all the effort OH put in braking the logs up he's not letting any go anywhere! other than our fire lol

We need to try and get rid of the stump now any ideas? OH being him wants to set fire to it in situ!!

You will need a stump grinder to get it all out - use it as a seat.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    I'll have another go next weekend, then, but for now I've collected a bunch of hollow stems and wedged them into a heavyweight cardboard tube that I've blocked at one end and wrapped in polythene for waterproofing, to make a bee hotel.

I've hung it on the pergola, up which I intend to grow either runner beans or summer squash.

A picture speaks a thousand words... ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

But the spuds looked ready:

DSCF3282.jpg

So that's what they're supposed to look like! :D

I've got some that look like that but I thought I had to wait until the chits were bigger.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    So that's what they're supposed to look like! :D

I've got some that look like that but I thought I had to wait until the chits were bigger.

Nope, I think mine were about right. Here's a closer look:

chits.jpg
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guess what I'm doing tomorrow then? :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    A picture speaks a thousand words... ;)

But flat batteries in the camera won't say "click"...
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    But flat batteries in the camera won't say "click"...

Well you'll just have to draw it then instead. :rotfl:
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Would using a baby bath with a plughole be ok as a container to grow peas in? It's fairly deepish and slightly slops down towards the plughole,so I'm thinking taking the plug off and putting extra stones in the bottom for drainage.
    I'm trying to recycle and garden on the cheap.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • smarttart
    smarttart Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wey hey the chilli seeds have germinated, I put a load of tomato, aubergine, herbs, peppers and chilli seeds in at the same time and everything had come through about a week ago apart from the chilli and pepper seeds. I was starting to think I was going to have to start over but now I can concentrate on something else.
    Everyday I've been peering at them willing them to appear and just as I'd given up hope ... :j

Just need to decimate the fungus gnats/scarid fly that seem to have taken up residence in the seed trays indoors. I've ordered some hypoaspis mites so we'll see of they do the trick. All my seedlings will at some point need to be moved to the greenhouse but I don't want to end up re-infesting that not after it took me all that time scrubbing it down and getting it clean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure