We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hyundai i20 clutch problems

Options

Comments

• AnnoyedI20Motorist
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    Just because one model line has an alleged fault, doesn't mean that all their models have the problem.

You are missing the point!!! ANY car may develop a fault which may need to be fixed under warranty!!!!
    Can you be sure that every I30 is perfect? I would not bet on it.
    The warranty will be worthless for the I30 as well!!!
    ConsumerPower
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You are missing the point!!! ANY car may develop a fault which may need to be fixed under warranty!!!!
    The only issue here related to the clutch which is always going to be 'contentious' as its a wear and tear item.

I have a Kia Ceed with the 7 year warranty and the items I have had fixed under warranty have always been done no questions asked.

All claims have to go via their 'HQ' to ensure the dealer gets paid for the work. The dealer puts forward the case and HQ makes the decision based on the evidence, history, etc.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options

Our I30 had central locking problems that was fixed under warranty with no hassle (once we found the right garage)

AHAIK the clutch issue does not affect the I30 but the attitude of some dealers to the I20 problems does make me wonder if we should get another when the time comes
  • Beachview_2
    Options
    Just because one model line has an alleged fault, doesn't mean that all their models have the problem.

But it does show their appalling 'customer service'.
  • AnnoyedI20Motorist
    Options
    The only issue here related to the clutch which is always going to be 'contentious' as its a wear and tear item.
    All claims have to go via their 'HQ' to ensure the dealer gets paid for the work. The dealer puts forward the case and HQ makes the decision based on the evidence, history, etc.

To say that when a clutch fails after only a few thousands miles (say less than 5) driving is "wear-and-tear" is pathetic.

To say that the failure is due to bad driving is an insult to an experiended and careful motorist.

To say that the situation is 'contentious' is incomprehensible.

How can a dealer determine that the clucth was not faulty?
    If the clutch is totally worn out then any evidence of a fault would have been destroyed.

I advise anyone contemplating buying a Huyndai car to show some of the comments on this site about clutch failures at 1000,2000,3000,4000,5000 miles to the Huyndai dealer and ask the question:

WHAT IF I BUY A HUYNDAI CAR AND THIS HAPPENS TO ME?

I would be verfy interested to hear the answer.
    ConsumerPower
  • guardianangel
    Options
    To say that when a clutch fails after only a few thousands miles (say less than 5) driving is "wear-and-tear" is pathetic.

To say that the failure is due to bad driving is an insult to an experiended and careful motorist.

If the clutch is totally worn out then any evidence of a fault would have been destroyed.

I advise anyone contemplating buying a Huyndai car to show some of the comments on this site about clutch failures at 1000,2000,3000,4000,5000 miles to the Huyndai dealer and ask the question:

I have been looking to buy a 6 month old I30 and although this thread is about crutch problems on the I10 and I20, it has put me off the I30. But if I get an opportunity I will ask the question for you though I very mnuch doubt I will step foot in their showroom now.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

If Hyundai really believes that their clutches only fail due to poor driving technique then they should test drive the customer (rather than the customer test driving the car). Then they should refuse to sell to anyone who can't drive properly-problem solved, no more clutch failures!

Seriously though, I've found this thread informative and worrying. I've now crossed Hyundai off my list. I do hope those with the problems get justice.
  • boab23
    Options
    I drive a Hyundai i30 and given a same bill of 500 pound for clutch replacement and same dialogue of clutch is a wear and tear of car depends how you drive. its a poor service by hyundai and my local car dealer is even worst because i bought a service plan and at the time of purchase it was 2 service and 1 MOT and when my car went for 1st MOT and Service the MOT just disappeared because it was mis print at the time of issuing the letter and now i had to pay extra 80 pounds.

Not a happy chap at all. :mad:
  • lilruthc
    lilruthc Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting to come across this thread - I bought a 1 year old hyundai i20 last sunday. On Monday I noticed clutch noise (kind of a whirring as I use reverse, and when pulling off from 1st) - decided to get it checked out and hyundai agreed there was a problem.

Having it replaced (at no cost to myself) under warranty as I couldn't be blamed for wear and tear given I had only had the car for 5 days!
  • AnnoyedI20Motorist
    Options
    I am glad that, in your case, the problem has been resolved promptly and free of charge.
    But I would like to make the following points about Hyundai:

1 This shows that there are still problems with I20 clutches.

2 Ther car should never have been delivered to you with a faulty clucth!. Id does not say much for their customer care and quality control.
    ConsumerPower
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport