Hyundai i20 clutch problems

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• notahopeinhell
    Options
    Have only read this thread today but rather glad that I did as I was looking to replace my wife's 11 year old Suzuki Alto (which has given fantastic service)
    with a newish Hyundai i20.

After reading this thread and then found other reports on other websites on the same subject I've more or less changed my mind.

Get the feeling I have been saved from a bad experience!!
  • scousemouse
    Options
    I have just had the clutch replaced on my 11 plate i10 (bought new) due to bearings being worn at 21,000 miles. Strange that I have been driving for almost 50 years (including some right old bangers) and have never worn out a clutch before. The dealer did contact Hyundai who agreed to pay the majority of the cost of replacement but having read about the number of complaints I am now somewhat wary.
  • shane005
    Options
    I want to add another i20 clutch failure to the list. My father bought one last March (2014) and was left stranded at the roadside this year. The car is 11 months old, and has only approx. 4000miles on the clock.

Hyundai "Customer Services" didn't want to know......

"Thank you for your further email regarding the clutch on the above mentioned vehicle.

Unfortunately Hyundai Motors UK are not able to provide any further assistance toward this clutch repair. This is because we believe that the clutch fault on this car was not caused by a manufacturing defect. If you are dissatisfied with this decision and you feel that you have not been treated fairly by Hyundai Motors UK, you can contact the independent motor industry regulating body Motor Codes on 0800 692 0825. They will be able to advise you on your consumer rights, and any options that may be open to you.

I am sorry that I have not been able to assist you in the way that you may have been hoping for. Thank you once again for contacting Hyundai.

Yours sincerely

Andy Wells
    Hyundai Customer Services
    Hyundai Motor UK Ltd
    T: 03705 329 980 "

Unfortunately we have become all too aware that the 5-year warranty is only an advertising gimmick, and Hyundai have no intention of honouring it!!

We are aware of our rights to reject the vehicle as not being of merchantable quality under current consumer legislation, and that our initial course of action is with the dealer - Sammy Mellon & Sons, Bangor NI.
    We have tried to negotiate with them, but unfortunately they didn't appear to be too interested either. They offered a free first service on the vehicle, but later retracted that suggestion and quoted £148.00.
    I asked if they seriously expected us to have them service the vehicle when they treated us so shabbily.....their response was to tell us that the car needed to have genuine Hyundai parts fitted to maintain the warranty. They of course were referring to the useless warranty sold with the vehicle.

We are only posting this as a result of our experiences......it appears that there is a clutch problem on the i20, but Hyundai don't want to know as they would have to issue a general recall for an expensive repair.
    We just hope that you would choose a different make of car as a result of reading this!
  • AnnoyedI20Motorist
    Options
    I find it very worrying that Hyundai still haven't sorted out their clutch problems with the I20. I keep on wondering how much longer my replacement clutch will last!!!
    They do not seem to have any considerations for their customers nor any regards for their own reputation as a car maker.
    I wonder how they can be sure that the clutch was not faulty.
    Where is the evidence for that?
    How do they explain the fact that there are only reports of clucth failures on the I20? Not on their I30 nor their I10.
    Nor I have ever come across reports of multiple clutch failures on other makes of cars.
    These failures must be due to faulty, or substandard, clutches.
    What else can they be?
    A clutch that fails after only a few thousands miles can only be due to a manufacturing/assembly fault or to the driver "deliberately" damaging the clutch. Is it possible that so many drivers have decided to do this on the I20 only?
    Our only option is to relate our sorry experiences and hope that people will stay clear of all Hyundai cars and the I20 in particular.
    At least the internet allows us to vent our frustrations!
    ConsumerPower
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hyundai don't have a great reputation as reliable / good quality cars anyone so this won't really tarnish their rep.

It's possibly the clutch is prone to wearing faster than other clutches depending on the driving done. So someone could get away with less than perfect clutch control on other cars as they're more durable but the clutch on these may be less forgiving
    You'd be surprised the amount of people that say they drive perfect then rev the thing to death whilst riding the clutch pulling away on hills and the likes.
    This isn't me implying this is what happened, just a possibility.

If someone wants to claim the clutch is inherently faulty, then they have to provide evidence to back up that claim.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport