We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hyundai i20 clutch problems

Options

Comments

• LDS2604
    Options
    Hi

I know this is quite an old thread but was looking online for general prices for Hyundai clutches. Am surprised at how little wear some people have got.

I have a 2010 i20 Comfort just approaching 60k miles and it's a driving school car! The clutch has only just started slipping. When the car was 9 months old the clutch plate bearing (I think that's what it's called I'm not a mechanic and paperwork buried somewhere) was replaced under warranty. I've had a few little things go wrong but have all been covered by the warranty with no hassle from the dealership. And I don't get the car serviced there either! Apart from general servicing the first thing I paid for was last week - a droplink. We have many roadhumps around my area in Essex and again..scouring the internet it seems this can cause these problems.

Now am as little worried about getting them to replace my clutch but I have got 60k out of this one and that's 90% town work and learner drivers from day 1. Yes I have dual controls but I get them doing as much as they can. I am going to mention reading this forum to the guys on the service desk on Monday when I book it in and make sure I get a proper warranty on the new one too. Will let you know how I get on and how much they charge :undecided

The guys in my local Hyundai couldn't be better and service is so important to keeping me on the road. Such a shame they've let themselves down in other areas.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently the clutch design was changed at some point so you might have got the 'improved' one which is why you didnt get any problems.

Clutches are wear and tare so I dont know what sort of warranty you expect to get.
  • AnnoyedI20Motorist
    Options
    When I had the clutch replaced on my new I20 at only 2400 miles
    (driven by an experienced motorist of many years), at my cost, the dealership told me that there was no warranty on the new clutch.
    I was told that if the clutch failed even after a few days I had to prove that it was due to a manufacturing fault for it to be replaced free of charge.
    I would be very interested to know the answer to your question about the warranty on your new clutch. I would be grateful if you could post a reply on this thread. Many Thanks.
    ConsumerPower
  • vickidrury500
    Options
    I have recently (Sept 2013) purchased a brand new, i have had problems with the brakes scraping when i stop, has anyone else had this probelm? I took it into my dealer where i purchased the car and they at first failed to admit there was a problem, but said they cleaned the brakes anyway and that should sort it out. Then i took it back again and they still said they didnt know what the problem was, but cleaned the brakes again...then said yes they agreed they could hear the noise once i'd made them listen to mine and then drove one of their cars and it did not do the same. although they said they thought it was normal for it to do this!!! Then they said they would replace the Discs, so it went in for a day. When i got it back it was marginly better but still making the noise. They had not replace the discs as they still had some rust on them, when i asked them if the put new disc on, they said YES! so i tackled them about the rust, and they said oh well we took the ones of our courtesy car and put them onto yours!!! then when i said i was not happy with this, they said well all our cars on the forecourt's brakes make the same noise, so please tell me how and why this can be considered normal?? Also whilst it was in for the brakes i told them about a noise when i reverse, they have now said it needs a new clutch and they will need it for three days. he told me this is a common problem on them....they have not said if this is going to cost me, but i dont hold out much hope after reading all the comments on this forum. I think its discusting they can sell a brand new car that obviously has a sub standard clutch that is not fit for purpose. I am waiting to see as my car goes in on Mon 3rd Feb to see what they say. I also told them i'm still not happy with the brakes and will be wanting to address that too. Feel so let down and disgusted by Hyundai, leave me with no faith in my new car that should at this point be worry free enjoyable motoring.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How many miles do you do a week?

Rust on the brakes is normal if it has been wet and the car is then parked up. After a few miles the rust will clear.
  • vickidrury500
    Options
    I do about 250 miles a week, the noise doesnt clear :(. I understand there may be rust visable as its from moisture in the air, but its the noise that im concerned about, i dont see how this is classed as normal, any ideas?
  • vickidrury500
    Options
    I have now had a modified clutch fitted by Minstergate Hyundai...No charge to me...lets hope thats the end of the problem.
  • mammon
    mammon Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    does the clutch problem on the i20 happen on a variety of engine sizes or is it more common on one type of engine size? For those who have reported clutch problems on your i20, what engine size and type is on your i20 please?
  • Katy3Kids
    Katy3Kids Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 September 2014 at 4:18PM
    Options
    I appear to be yet anther victim of the Hyundai i20 clutch issue.. Mine is a 1.2 and its 2 years old :( The car has done 19,000 total and I've only had it a year.

I had a Hyundai Lantra for 15 years and I never replaced the clutch or barely any part at all so naturally felt Hyundai would be a good choice. I will never buy Hyundai again. I have completely lost confidence and I feel totally ripped off. The cost will be at least £500 although they have said it could be more if the flywheel is damaged also.. The clutch is clearly not fit for the purpose for any actual driving!
  • Sorry to learn of yet another victim of Hyundai "5 year warranty".
    This lady's car clutch seems to have lasted a bit longer but since she purchased the car two years ago her car probably came from the same batch.

Around that time there was a spate of reports of I20 clutches failing at a very low mileage. Mine happened at 2400 miles.
    Hyundai refused to do the work under warranty claiming that the clutch failure was due to "bad" driving.

But there have not been many reports of I20 clutch failures after that. There can only be two possible explanations for that.

1 All the "bad" drivers have been exterminated

2 Hyundai fitted a batch of faulty or substandard clutches to I20 models and when the clutches failed blamed the drivers' "bad" driving and got them to foot the bill to replace the clucthes thus saving themselves a packet.

Well I, one of the original "bad" drivers, am still alive and I have not been exterminated. I have been "badly" driving my I20 with the replacement clutch for almost three years and, touch wood, there is no sign of that clutch giving up any time soon.
    So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I know which one of the above explanations is likely to be correct.

I would like to know from other "bad" drivers who had i20 clutch failures what they think the correct explanation is.

Also I would like to suggest to the lady that she should point to this web site and argue that the clutch should be replaced under warranty.

I wish her a better luck with that than we had a couple of years ago.
    ConsumerPower
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport