Hyundai i20 clutch problems

Options

Comments

• The premature clutch failure has also happened to me. Eight months ago I purchased a brand new Hyundai I20 and after having driven it for only 2400 miles I had to have the clutch replaced. This very low mileage is probably a record, unless another unfortunate motorist out there knows differently.
    The dealer examined the failed clutch and announced that there was no evidence of a manufacturing fault. I would have thought that the fact that the clutch failed at 2400 miles was sound evidence of the fault.
    They would not replace the clucth under warranty because it was "wear-and-tear" due to my driving style and I had to pay for the clutch replacement. Complaining to Hyundai directly was a waste of time. I live in a flat rural area and have owned and driven many cars, more than 10. All of them had a manual gear box. I never had clutch problems with any of them. I know that the failure had nothing to do with my driving style. I still do not know why it happened. My fear is that, with so many motorists experiencing the same problem, it may be due to a design fault and that the failure could recur in the very near future.
    I think that we have an obligation to let the plublic know and that we can only get justice if a nationwide TV program like Watch Dog undertakes to investigate.
    ConsumerPower
  • i10_owner
    Options
    I have had a very similar problem with my i10. It has been serviced and maintained and the clutch is slipping like crazy. My car has done more mileage, 40,000, but I have neer known a clutch to fail at this mileage. I cannot beleive they are claiming wear and tear on mileage below 10,000, and as low as 3000!!

I took it to the hyundai garage and they quoted me £600 to replace the clutch, again same story of wear and tear. They also stated that the clutch is only covered for 24 months and the car is now 3 years old.

However, after speaking with a mechanic friend, it appears there is oil/fluid on the clutch due to a leaking seal, most probably the gearbox shaft oil seal. This is what has caused the problem, not 'wear and tear' as hyundai are trying to claim. They did not notice this when they inspected the car (if they did at all).

I am due to revisit the garage this weekend to argue the case that the fluid on the clutch has caused the increased wear and for it to now be slipping, so should be covered under the warrantee. I am not too hopeful of a positive response!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    This problem should really be highlighted by watchdog etc etc.

Its disgusting that Hyundai are blaming drivers afte 3000 miles or less!!

My wife has an i30 with 25000 on and hasnt had any problems with it but Hyundais response to these problems is making me seriously think about not replacing it with another hyundai
  • I am glad that someone is heeding the warnings. The way Hyundai are treating their customers is a disgrace. One way we can get some justice is to warn others to bear in mind motorists' experiences with Hyundai cars before they decide to buy. We need to spread the word. Knowledge is power.
    I thought I was safe buying a brand new car from a "reputable" brand name with a 5 years warranty. How wrong I was! :mad:
    I hope I can stop others making the same mistake.
    ConsumerPower
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think everyone driving a Hyundai nowadays has cause for concern. They are a huge engineering group and whereas their entry to the UK market was a well built (though out of date) "Korean Cortina" lately they seem to be paring down the engineering side of the equation in order to create very profitable euroboxes.
    Hang on to those long warranties, I think your going to need them.
  • photome
    Options
    colino wrote: »
    I think everyone driving a Hyundai nowadays has cause for concern. They are a huge engineering group and whereas their entry to the UK market was a well built (though out of date) "Korean Cortina" lately they seem to be paring down the engineering side of the equation in order to create very profitable euroboxes.
    Is that based on the above clutch problems, guesswork or some other knowledge you have
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That is based on my engineering skills, knowledge and experience and having looked at the tat now in this sector, I'd always steer people away from these plugs.
  • AnnoyedI20Motorist
    Options

:(Do you think that they are going to honour those long warranties? Any conceivable problem could be said to be the result of bad driving!:(
    ConsumerPower
  • photome
    Options
    That is based on my engineering skills, knowledge and experience and having looked at the tat now in this sector, I'd always steer people away from these plugs.

what tat specifically?
  • floraldancer
    Options
    Hi again to all of you who have been following the saga of my hyundai i2o clutch, burnt out after 3500 miles and 12 months old, said not covered under warranty down to my driving. Have submitted forms to the small claims court suing the dealership, Hawkins Motors, Blackwater Truro (dont have anything to do with them anyone) they put in a defence saying basically down to my driving then out of the blue last week one of the directors rang and asked if I would be willing to take a driving test so he could say either way whether it was my driving, took legal advice from which Magazine (who have been brilliant and would advise anyone to go to them for advice) and they said do it but take a third party as witness, this I did and the dealer said he couldnt find anything wrong with my driving, but had to clarify it by saying "at least for today" how is that for insulting? bet they wouldnt have asked a 6ft guy to do a driving test!!! the latest is they rang in the week and he said he had noticed I was not using the correct Hyundai car mats (never mentioned that when I took the driving test) and he was worried they may have curled up under the clutch and caused me to use the pedal incorrectly, at least I think thats what he said, he repeats himself that often and talks a load of codswallop.
    kept my counsel, now waiting to hear what is going to happen but I am all prepared for court and would advise anyone with a similar problem to go down this road, win or lose they will get the publicity, auto Express have already printed an article about the Hyundai warranty and I have other magazines, and newspaper waiting in the pipeline to see what happens, I have paid to have the car repaired (nearly £800)as unforunatley it could take months to go to court , I couldnt get a straight answer from the dealer as to why he had decided now, after nearly 6 months of arguing to ask for a driving tesdt, why not at the beginning, or when the solicitor I appointed (a one off) wrote to them telling them my intentions to sue or why not when they received the court papers, my own opinion is Hyundai are sick of the publicity and told the dealer to sort it or maybe they have been reading web sites like this and realise I am not a one off.
    thanks everyone, will keep you posted.

floraldancer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family