Hyundai i20 clutch problems

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What sort of problems has it had?

I really dont know why dealers avoid warranty stuff as they confirm its a fault covered by the warranty, get approval from HQ, do the work and HQ pays the bill. Doesnt cost them a thing and keeps the workshop busy.

Grey areas covered under wear and tear - especially items like clutches - can be more difficult so getting a second opinion can be worthwhile to give you a bit more backup.
  • sootytorques
    sootytorques Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2012 at 4:28PM
    Options
    @ KTF my car 12 months old done 8.5K miles, steering column replaced as it noisey, washer pump & wiper arm replaced, still got problem with water spraying on front screen when rear operated & also wiper smearing, dealer & Hyundai UK accept smearing wiper is a known problem, and technical working on a fix, previous fix was to replace wiper arm, however is smears so bad sometimes I cannot see anything, yet hyundai UK dont see this as a safety issue.
    OH and the car has a concerto of dash rattles, just like the other i30 we have in the household, which is 16 months old & done 15K miles.
  • pygmalion666
    Options
    Hyundai car warranty claims
    I had to have the clutch replaced on my relatively new Hyundai after only 7k on the clock. Not covered by warranty - dealer citing 'wear and tear', 'driving style' etc as the most likely cause. Yet, I have never had to replace a clutch in any car I have owned and this is my 10th car. Also, my 'driving style' and patterns have not changed in this period.

Wrote to Hyundai who also cited 'wear and tear' and were of no help whatsoever and dismissed the claim, despite previous motor press documented cases of problems with the clutch in both the i10 and i20 models.

Same problem for me though at least my clutch lasted for 26,000 miles but no joy from dealer or Hyundai, just a bill for £585 for the clutch from the dealer (rip off). With all my previous cars including right old bangers I have never managed to destroy a clutch so I am hard put to see how I managed to not only cause the so called wear and tear but split the clutch casing to boot. Apparently the casing was covered by the Warranty but not the clutch. I have to wonder if it was the damage to the casing that caused the clutch to fail and not the wear and tear the dealer claimed. What with that and the exorbitant service charges £150 1st year fine but over £400 for 2nd year and then the clutch goes. What a nightmare, a grand in less than 6 months on a 2 year old car.:mad:
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i call these new hyundais the new ladas of the 21st century
    lada used to get you because it was inherently cheap and at px nobody else wanted it so you bought new lada
    now its a 7 year warranty and get you on the treadmill
    this is a money saving forum and i wouldnt buy a new hyundai for nowt
  • amen_2
    amen_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 February 2012 at 2:40PM
    Options
    My i20 Comfort 1.2 petrol has covered 17.5k miles and is just over 2 years old registered at the end of December 2009. The clutch is starting to slip badly. I've owned numerous cars in the past and never had this before - all of them had done well over 40k without the need for a clutch.

Very poor and very unhappy. Have signed up today to vent my frustration!

Poor service from Hyundai UK.

:(
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    I know of 2 people in my family with the same issue.

This is why I buy used cars a few years old - all the common problems are usually ironed out by now.

Good luck, 17k is ridiculous. My current car did 165k of mixed driving on it's first clutch.
  • pygmalion666
    Options
    amen wrote: »
    My i20 Comfort 1.2 petrol has covered 17.5k miles and is just over 2 years old registered at the end of December 2009. The clutch is starting to slip badly. I've owned numerous cars in the past and never had this before - all of them had done well over 40k without the need for a clutch.

Very poor and very unhappy. Have signed up today to vent my frustration!

Poor service from Hyundai UK.

:(

I so know how you feel and what's more now I have had the new clutch fitted at an extortionate cost and ever since I got it back 10 days ago I have had trouble getting reverse so it's probably going to have to go back and I work 7 days a week so have no more time to sort this out, grrrr, totally fed up with Hyundai
    :mad:
  • floraldancer
    floraldancer Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2012 at 7:27PM
    Options
    I am having a dispute with my garage at the moment regarding my Hyundai I20 bought bought brand new end of March 2011 done 3,400 miles and the clutch has gone, they say it is my fault wear and tear, been driving for 45 years mainly Fords never had a clutch problem before, Hyundai say not covered under the 5 year warranty because its my fault and so the garage say the same too, basically the garage know they will never get their money from Hyundai so are trying it on with me, I am not playing, am contacting AA for independant assessor, which magazine legal people have been brilliant as has trading standards office with their advice and all say the same thing, no way the clutch should have gone, the garage has quoted nearly 800 pounds for fix it, no way.

wish me luck.
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    done 3,400 miles and the clutch has gone, they say it is my fault wear and tear,
    No way hose A

This issue need bringing to a wider audience somehow, Hyundai are going to look fools claiming wear and tear after 3.5 k miles

I assume you haven't been spinning doughnuts in the local supermarket car park every weekend ( 45 years driving suggests not)

Sounds more like a design problem and/or product (car) not not fit for purpose or they are making the clutches out of cheese
  • floraldancer
    floraldancer Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2012 at 1:58PM
    Options
    thank bob a builder, giving me more hope, still fighting and will do all the way and even if I lose the case will make sure Hyundai and the garage get the worse publicity ever, think they are trying it on because I am a woman, my husbands always away when I need him!! forgot to say big article in Daily Mail May 2nd about car clutches and Hyundai also mentioned, have written to them awaiting reply, but was not impressed with AA lady technical "expert" who says and I quote.. "as people age they can lose sensitivity in their feet and lose their hearing which means they often dont realise the damage they cause or cant hear the impact of their driving, older drivers do need to be much more aware of what they are doing " how patronising, if I had known the AA felt like that wouldnt have taken insurance out with them, forgot to say also drive my husbands Ford and he has no problems with my driving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure