PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Butternut squash?????

Options

Comments

• Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ali120604 wrote:
    Cut it into small chunks, throw in some diced bacon, add a chopped red onion and sprinkle on some dried sage. Drizzle with oil and put in the the oven for 35-40 mins. Gorgeous. I'm having it tonight!

awwww yum that sounds gorge ! im so going to do that tonight too

• janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HIYA ALL
    really just looking for some ideas about what to do with half a roasted BNS
    i roasted the whole thing for dinner but its just me who loves it and i usually end up freezing whats left and it eventually finds its way into some sort of soup lol but wondered if there is anything different i could do with it this time?

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • scrooge_by_necessity
    Options
    Have you got a cat?

The last time I cooked a butternut squash, there was a massive cat fight, all of my 3 cats fighting for the bit that fell on the floor, and then the dog jouned in. we shut them all outso we could eat. They ripped the compost bucket open to get the skins, and even next doors cat was trying to get in the compost bin. Yummy to cats I think.

I have to think carefully next time we have butternut, is the pain of the fight worth the taste.

My friend makes like a casserole with it, she cuts it into chunks adds carrots, leek, parsnips, swede and the usual veg, and roasts it slowly in oven. It did taste nice. She sometimes adds meat too.

Hope that is another idea to let the creative juices start to flow.
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    Options
    We barbequed ours and it is lovely

You can roast it like a sweet potato or mash it

PMSL at the cats:D - mine went nuts over trout, which is to be expected
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Options
    You could cut it into chunks and put it into a rissotto, add it near the end of cooking time as being that its already cooked you only want it to warm through. We often have this at home and its yummy. We do a veg rissotto with some onion, peas, red pepper, BN squash and add small cubes of feta when its nearly done. A hefty dash of pepper once its on the plate - DELISH!!
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • jamgirl
    jamgirl Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    butternut squash
    sweet potatoes
    potatoes
    frozen peas
    veg stock
    curry powder

chuck in a pan and cook till soft.
    delish!!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Butternut squash soup is lovely, i use BNS, sweet potato, carrots, garlic and either fresh or tinned tomatoes!!! Roast in the oven for about 30 mins, add stock (whatever type you want) and a teaspoon of ginger and cook for another 15 mins, then blitz. (Adapted from a recipe on the recipe thread here, you could add any leftover veg you fancied really!!!)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    More ideas from the MEGA Index:-

Vegetables:

- Butternut squash?????
    - Butternut squash (and fennel)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the ideas but in the end as i wasnt feeling very great today just reheated it and had it with my pasta

my cats never used to bother about the smell of it when i had them

bit cold up in these here parts for a BBQ lol

never thought about adding tomatoes to my bns soup i usually just havbe bns,stock,carrot,onion and i love it with cumin as well

im the only one again who likes risotto and if id been feeling better i might have tried this

thanks to one and all -recipes stored for later uses

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ali120604 wrote:
    Cut it into small chunks, throw in some diced bacon, add a chopped red onion and sprinkle on some dried sage. Drizzle with oil and put in the the oven for 35-40 mins. Gorgeous. I'm having it tonight!

this was scrummmmmy :T :p

I did the above,but minus the sage as i didnt have any !

I crumbled some cheese over and popped back in the oven for a few mins

hubby wasnt to keen :rolleyes: but i loved it :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family