PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Butternut squash?????

Options
I love butternut squash but apart from roasting it or making soup I don't do much else with it.

What do you do with yours?

Comments

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Try https://www.recipezaar.com They have very good recipes.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Roasted; served mashed as a side veggie; added to soups and casseroles. Chargrilled with peppers!

Scrummy!!!

(Hope you are growing your own instead of paying those ghastly supermarket prices!!! :o )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Do you have tips on growing them Queenie?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I mash it with carrots or potoes as it saves calories and increases vitamin count.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry I meant potatoes. Did a Dan Quayle for a moment. ;D ;D
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love this veg and use loads of it, for some years now. I always peel it, yet on Jamie Olivers shool dinners, I saw him just chop it and throw it in the roasting tin.
    My question is can you eat it without peeling it then???
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've seen other tv chefs using it without peeling too, so I'd say yes. I've got a couple in my fridge at the moment to make roast pumpkin & tomato soup (which is yummy!) so I'm gonna try it without peeling this time.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Nasnowt
    Nasnowt Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    Options
    No, I understand the skin is inedible as it is so tough (well for me anyway and butternut squash is my favorite, so I have tried!) The flesh scrapes away nicely if squash is roasted with the skin on though.

Sometimes if I want a low fat version of roasted squash for myself but the usual stuff for the rest of the family I leave the skin on my bit, spray the flesh with 1/2 olive oil 1/2 water, add the herbd and put it in the roasting tin skin side down.. Seem to get good tasty roast flesh with a lower fat content, or maybe I'm just kidding myself
    :wave: In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod :shhh: and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

• andham2000
    andham2000 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Save the seeds from butternut squash to grow a plant and get loads of squashes back for free. If you plant a few seeds in pots now they should be of sufficient size to plant out when the chance of frost has gone.

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/marrow.htm - this page should help for growing advice.
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if they'd grow ok (one or two anyway :D ) in a large window box at a sunny(ish... I'm in scotland after all :D ) window in my new flat. I've a HUGE windowsill in the kitchen and it'd be nice to grow more than just herbs and I love butternut squash - are there any gardeners who could make an educated guess?
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure