PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Butternut squash?????

Options

Comments

• mrsmortenharket
    Options
    butternut squash is LUSH!

I roast it & add it with other roasted veggies (aubergine, courgettes, onion & pepper) to cous cous!

YUM!

Lisa x
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    I make Butternut squash soup, it's delicous. 1 butternut squash, 1 onion chopped, 1 large garlic clove, 1 tsp ground cumin, 600ml veg stock, salt/pepper. preheat oven to gas mark 6. Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds, then place on baking tray cut side down. Bake for 45-60 mins turning over half way through. Cool, then scoop flesh away from skin. Gently fry onion until soft, add garlic and cumin, stir for few mins then add squash flesh and stock, bring to boil, simmer for 10 mins then puree in blender. Add salt and pepper and more stock if needed.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    It's nice mashed with loads of butter and nutmeg.

Also made into soup with granary bread with loads of butter on ( yummy on a cold day)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Just been reading the feta cheese thread and it occurs to me that feta crumbled over chunks of butternut squash would be good. The salty cheese and the sweet squash. Maybe the combination would work in a bread, or as an unusual pizza topping ?
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Last week I tried butternut squash for the first time. I thought it was gross :p

Sorry, not helpful at all but I wanted you to know my opinion :D
    Bulletproof
  • Lil_Dee_2
    Options
    My absolute fave way of eating this is the simple chop it in four, scoop out the seeds, roast, then peel (it's a lot easier to peel once cooked - although as per someones remarks above, I may have to try the skin next time, never thought it might be edible !!)

It also goes down a storm on Sundays, when I mix with potato and serve as potato/squash mash. It needs nothing more than a bit of butter and a pinch of pepper. *starts drooling* :D
  • Marsie
    Options
    I'm another soup maker. I roast it with a tiny bit of olive oil, then peel skin off and blend flesh with chicken or veg stock and a bit of chilli (normally dried chilli flakes). It's a very warming, comforting soup.

M.
    :D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you boil it and then just mash it? If so how long would you boil it and would you mix anything into the mash?
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lolly5648 wrote:
    Can you boil it and then just mash it? If so how long would you boil it and would you mix anything into the mash?

I would treat it like potatoes as far as boiling goes. Mixing into the mash, onions and a bit of butter maybe. :confused:
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I went bonkers in Tescos and bought a butternut squash and have no idea what to do with it. How do you make soup with it? Are there any other ideas that are easy (I'm a rubbish cook) and relatively quick?
    Thanks again _ my cooking is getting marginally better with your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure