PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Butternut squash?????

Options

Comments

• molesworth
    Options
    Is there a trick to peeling butternut squash? Or, looking at the above messages, is it unnecessary? I've just started using it in a couple of recipes (eg in roasted vegetables - very nice) but peeling has been such a pain! Surely you would need to peel it if using for a pasta recipe, for example? Any advice appreciated!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ancasta wrote:
    Im really sorry but every time i read this title i think of that song.. WAR, what is it good for. :rotfl:

That was the point! I couldn't fit 'butternut squash, huh! da da da, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! (unless you prove me wrong) in the title though :rotfl:
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you need to peel it. I just hack at it with a knife! It is hard work. The only way you could get away with out peeling it is to roast in, cut in half and then scoop the flesh out. This is really yummy mashed with some cinnamon powder.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Roast chunks of it with other winter veg as per Lush Walrus's recipe, but you can also toss the veggies with a bit of salt , black pepper and cumin (and the olive oil of course!),then put lamb steaks or cutlets on top, spread each steak with a bit of butter with chopped rosemary mixed in with it, and put it all in the oven together. Really yummy, and saves on washing up as there's only one roasting tin to wash apart from the plates.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    My kids call me "squash mad" because I love butternut squash!

I don't really have a problem with peeling them - I just use a swivel peeler and peel away from myself :confused: Maybe it's just getting the angle right?

Suggestion for recipe: Squash Delight

2 cups cooked squash
    1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 cup sour cream
    2 medium carrots, grated
    1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
    seasoned breadcrumbs for topping

Mix all ingredients except the cheese and breadcrumbs together and pour into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top. Cover with breadcrumbs and generous dots of butter. Bake at 350 deg. for 30 minutes.

Absolutely delicious - courtesy of my MIL in Georgia, USA where they use lots of different squashes........
    [
  • aquilaM
    aquilaM Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Squash makes a really easy, and lovely rissoto. Simply cut the squash into cubes add it to rice and onions and pour on veg stock. Microwave on high for 20 mins stiring every 5 mins (or use the rissoto setting) until the rice is cooked and the liquid absorbed. Mix in grated cheese and pumkin seeds. It is a wonderful autumn dish, and you can add any old veg
  • frostyspice
    Options
    Peel it, cut it into very thin discs and shallow-fry in olive oil super-fast - and you have the most delicious butternut squash crisp-type things. Can't recommend them highly enough - they're sooooo nice. Have them with your dinner. Delish.
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    If you need to peel it, cut it into slices first with the skin on (so they look like melon slices), then use a knife to cut through the soft part.

Alternatively roast with the skin on and then peel afterwards, adding it to what you are making at the end (e.g. pasta sauce).
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Try cutting into thinnish slices and eating raw. As you would raw carrots. Also good grated raw in salads or as a topping or a separate vegetable.

No vitamins lost when raw.
  • ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    What can I do with it?:confused: Last time I had it I sliced it in half and drizzled with olive oil and garlic, how am I suppose to serve it too:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure