PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Butternut squash?????

Options

Comments

• alison10011
    Options
    You can cut it up and roast it with other veg (courgettes / mushrooms / cherry tomatoes etc).. Or cut it in half and scoopout the seeds, spread maple syrup on it and roast it (scoop out to serve)

Also, you can boil it and mix with potato to make mash.

I found out this week that if you boil it whole for about 5 minutes it softens the skin making it a lot easier to peel (I haven't tried this yet - I get hubby to peel them).

Not made soup with it but I guess its like making any soup, cut into small bits, cook with stock, puree and add anything else you may need to it (cream / nutmeg etc)

HTH
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's lovely roasted with a sprinkle of sea salt, garlic & rosemary. Just had some with my Sunday roast - yummm! If you have any left you can make it into soup easily, just cook it up in some vegetable stock with some onion & garlic, salt & pepper, add some red lentils for body if you like. Whizz up with a stick blender and chuck a bit of cream in if you have it.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Roast pumpkin soup

Cut the pumpkin into 4 pieces (8 if it's very large) and scoop out the seeds. Put into a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil, season with pepper and nutmeg. Bake at gas 1 for an hour or 2 until soft. Meanwhile soften a chopped onion and some chopped garlic in olive oil. Once the pumpkin is cooked, the skin will be easy to remove and discard. Chop the pumpkin into small pieces and add to the onion with some light stock. Cover and cook on a low heat for 30 mins. Blitz in blender, and sieve if necessary. Add some milk, return to simmer, and serve with dollop of creme fraiche.

You can also halve or quarter your squash, fill with lightly sweated veg (onion, garlic, turnip, carrot, swede, courgette), wrap in foil, and bake at gas 3 for about 45 mins until tender.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • rhubarbs
    rhubarbs Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Butternut Squash Risotto - cheap, filling and really tasty!

Peel squash, cut into chunks. Put in pan, cover with boiling water and simmer until tender.
    Drain but keep water to use as stock.
    Mash squash with a bit of butter or oil, return to heat.
    Add rice, proper risotto rice is best, and mix into squash mash.
    Stirring frequently start to add stock (and stock cube if you like), about a ladleful at a time.
    Keep going until rice is cooked.
    Stir in some grated parmesan cheese, season and serve. (I've also sometimes put in some cream cheese)
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I do the soup recipe but don;t roast it and it tastes lovely. I add sweetcorn.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Lazy way to bake/roast all of the pumpkin family:

Split it in half, and place it cut side down on an oiled baking tray (if you're going to make soup, put sliced onion under it).

Bake until it's soft (about 45 mins for a sensible sized one). When it's cool enough to handle, scoop out the seeds, then the flesh just lifts out, so you avoid peeling and cubing (I discovered this cos I have arthritic wrists).
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wrap it in tinfoil, sling it in the oven gas mark 5 for one and a half hours, unwrap, cut in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds, slice and eat.

Cooked this way, the skin is tender and delicious, so no need to peel, chop, etc etc....

Yummy!!!
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • ashby
    ashby Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    For any recipe where you need to peel the squash. I recommend cutting into large pieces first it's much easier to peel these than the whole thing. Cut into bits with a flat side that can stand on your board then slice off the skin from the flesh with a SHARP knife.
    M.E..... MORE than you know
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I find that butternut squash is always easier to peel if it is at room temperature - sometimes I microwave it whole for about a minute to warm it up a bit and it peels much easier. I like it sliced and roasted with sliced red peppers and onions. I also like it cut into chunks and mixed with a little melted butter, brown sugar and salt and roasted that way.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    One of my mates who is a chef made one of Gordon Ramseys recipes with one of these for my veggie wife. I think it was in substitution for a pumpkin. He says its really hard to find a nice pumpkin and is more often than not a gamble, so a butternut squash is a better choice.

Anyway it was seriously good eating. I'll try and find the recipe tomorrow and post it up.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure